Video Doorbell

That feature is not available

1 Like

It is not hard to install one if you need one to install. all houses should have one installed. Do you rent? Have the landlord install one at your residence. You would be surprised sometimes one is already wired but painted over. check your closet for a weird looking box sticking out of the wall up top.

2 Likes

I own the home. The box and wire for the electricity was taken out. I have to put in a new one. I don’t know how to do that

Is there any way to run doorbell wire back to the original doorbell location outside? If you can, then all you need is the wire and a new transformer.

We can get into details to help, if we know where the wires ran into the house: to the basement, a closet, the hallway or the attic?

Basically, you just need to mount the transformer, get power to it and connect the doorbell wires. There are even plugin transformers that can just be plugged directly into an outlet.

Hope this helps. Most of us are happy to provide tips or answer questions.

It doesn’t even have to be to the old doorbell location. If he can get doorbell wire to the closest power outlet he can use a plugin transformer.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Compatible-Doorbell-Thermostats-Certified/dp/B083R621RV/

Thank you for the help! I’m going to see if I can make it work. To get one installed. I’ll provide an update

1 Like

Or, you know, if the previous wiring is truly gone, he or she may be better off with a simple wireless doorbell (smart or otherwise).

Anyone know why the doorbell is now “out of stock”? Did I miss an announcement or something?

@LesGoRun
The doorbell is out of stock because it was on pre-sale for a limited time. Sometime after the pre-sale ones are shipped it will be in stock again.

Just received the doorbell. I’m somewhat put off that I cannot use my existing chimes with the doorbell.
At $30 not much to complain about, but I would have no issues paying for an upgrade kit that would allow it to be connected to the existing chime.
Lack of some sort of battery backup makes no sense as this is when its important. Clearly this was designed by 30 yr olds that are not home owners.
Needs more thought about what the real world looks like ( maybe talk to some “old guys” when doing market research. Hopefully we can expect an upgrade kit to address the shortcomings.

I think it’s a failure because it looks nothing like a doorbell and has no discernable place to press, but why do think a battery is so vital? When was the last time a typical doorbell had a battery backup? And what real benefit is a functional doorbell providing when the entire home has lost power? Unlike cameras or phones or alarm systems, there is a built in backup for a doorbell contained in the visitor’s knuckle…

3 Likes

@yachtboy9, [mod edit] I am an “old guy”. (Retired 5 years now.)

To me, the battery backup is not needed. In fact, I would consider a “con” if it had one. Let me explain, A built in battery would dramatically increase the size. It would be a serious point of failure. I have heard from Ring owners that hated the battery. And it would serve no useful purpose. If the power went out at the house, even a battery powered doorbell won’t be able to notify you that someone is at the door. The vast majority of people do not have a battery backup system for their modem/router.

All that said, I have heard rumors that Wyze is working on a battery powered doorbell, But, I have no details, I am not a tester for that product.

Again, these are just my opinions.

2 Likes

@Customer,

[mod edit]

As for your thought that it doesn’t look like a doorbell, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I like the design way better than the ring.

1 Like

A backup battery is an easy fix. Pick up a small UPS and plug the transformer into it.

1 Like

I can’t wait to get mine in the mail but still waiting for them to ship min😞 as for the chime box it comes with I’m excited to silence it since I have a baby and everyone rings my damn door bell even when I have a sign that says don’t ring door bell.

I would be thinking the battery would be to drive the camera so the surveillance aspect of it is not lost.
Don’t really care about it as a bell as I do camera.

1 Like

Kind of overkill - not terribly elegant solution

OMG There goes the neighborhood. Next thing you know, you’ll be using a pencil and paper and reading books printed on paper :sunglasses:

1 Like

You don’t have to connect the chime. But it you do, can disable the doorbell during specific times.

I too received my Wyze Doorbell. It is a great $30 doorbell. The video quality is excellent and it detects people, vehicles, and packages (I haven’t had it see a package yet). You “have” to use Cam Plus (subscription, currently $15 / year) or the doorbell is somewhat useless. You don’t want to be notified of just “motion”, you want it to tell you about people, cars, or boxes. I have 2, v3 Camera’s mounted outside (both with Cam Plus) and that is the way to go. One watches my driveway so I’ve had to tune it to not catch passing cars.

Back to the doorbell… the video is good, but it is not the same as the v3 video (it’s night vision is insanely good). It can see in the dark but it needs some light. You can trigger it to turn on a little LED around the button when recording to help it see if in a dark corner.

It’s very simple to install. And I have had no issues with the chime (it seems really loud in my 1600 square foot house). Others are reporting issues though.

The sound quality of talking to the person at the door is loud for the person at the door… Unfortunately; if I want to hear the person at the door, I need them to speak up and lean in almost… there is a constant chirping or tapping in the sound feed that makes it hard to hear when the door mic is hot… They hear me just fine… I just can’t hear them.

Overall, this is a no brainer for a cheap smart doorbell.

Disclaimer, I am a fan of the Wyze eco-system. I own many of the things and have supported them for 2 years. I love the scheduling, scripting, rules, of everything… now with the thermostat and doorbell… it’s even better.

I will say, after much tweaking with cameras, door sensors, & motion sensors… The way to fully enjoy the system and not get inundated with notifications is to have CamPlus on the camera’s and doorbell. Otherwise, everything outside will flag every bug, leaf, or shadow that goes by as an alert… it just doesn’t work.

I dislike that their is an upsell with the subscription but it is what it is in terms of cost. Still the cheapest on the market by a long shot.

5 Likes