Video Doorbell

It clearly says on the website it’s “PRE-ORDER” and ships in “JANUARY 2021”.

Thanks David, I realize what it said when I placed the order, I just need it now and not in 8-10 weeks, thought maybe I could pull someone’s chain a little…

1 Like

Not on pre-orders. It’s not even a shipping product yet. But January comes pretty quickly!

2 Likes

Hi! I would love a video doorbell if it was Bluetooth. I don’t have the required connection to use the hardwire version. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

Bluetooth won’t power a doorbell. They require either direct wiring or batteries. For Wyze it’s wired.

Hi thanks for the response! Yes, I don’t have the hardwire system in my house. So I would like to suggest a battery video doorbell if possible. Sorry, I didn’t get my idea across correctly in my first post.

According to the AMA from last week they are working on a battery powered doorbell. Don’t have any other details.

That said, there is a USB power port that could be used to power the doorbell. But, it would probably need to have a hole drilled through the wall to supply the power. If you do a search, you could find a picture of the port. It is the same type of port as the V2.

For 2 doorbells connected what is the power required? I can’t find this info required ( I have installed in my house a 16 v 15 VA , which does pass the requirements for a single one 16v 10 VA. But how about 2 connected in line?

The same power supply would easily power two doorbells.

1 Like

Angus is correct, your power supply will handle 2 doorbells. I have a 16v/10va transformer powering 2 test Wyze doorbells now.

3 Likes

Why use 2 in the same location (ie: front door)? To angle them differently? Or just use 1 as a simple camera?

I didn’t say they were at the same place on the house - front door and back door.

1 Like

Ah, I get it now, thanks. My misunderstanding.

When you guys were talking about using the same power supply to run 2, I thought you meant the same end of the wire, like at the front doorbell, and was confused why anyone would want to do that… Makes sense you were just talking about the whole doorbell system, which often has wiring for the backdoor too.
Thanks for clarifying and correcting my brain twist!

2 Likes

Normally, there is one transformer to power the doorbell chime. The
doorbell push button just closes as a switch to make the chime work. If
there is a back door push button then it is powered by the same
transformer. Having a back door button just means you have 2 switches.

1 Like

Yeah just to reiterate what Kaosken said( thanks for the amazing explanation). I couldn’t understand the wiring until I drew it out ( sorry for my bad drawing skills). But this is what I think the wiring on my house for my house looks like ( at least from how I understand it)

1 Like

Your drawing is just fine. In a 2 doorbell setup, as pictured, the chime gets completely bypassed if you install 2 Wyze doorbells. But, for simplicities sake, the original chime box is left on the wall.
The installation video does a pretty good job explaining the process. Wyze Video Doorbell | 1080p Wired Smart Doorbell Camera for Security

1 Like

To make it easier to understand, forget the doorbell and the chime. Find any drawing of a light bulb and a switch circuit. But with 2 doorbell switches, the light bulb would have an extra pin for the “back door”.
What’s interesting is how different house builders make the connections. Some will do it at the chime, others at the transformer.
Note on transformers: They are supposed to put out 18 to 24V. They fail 2 ways: either no voltage or too much voltage. The 2 much voltage usually burns up the coils in the chime.

2 Likes

As Scotty from Star Trek would say, “I dinna ken how it works Cap’n, but she’s a workin like a champ!”

2 Likes

Mobile video doorbell for travelers staying in hotels.

One thing missing in the current market is a video doorbell that could be portable and used for travelers staying in hotel rooms. It would be nice to have a doorbell that I could somehow attach temporarily to my hotel door and when someone rings it I get an alert on my phone allowing me to see and talk to the person ringing the door. If it was a cleaning lady or a person delivering a package… I could tell them it is ok to use their key and enter. This way I then know everybody entering my room which would hopefully cut down on that person feeling like they could steal something and get away with it.

Could I get the Wyze door bell to automatically play a voice recording saying something like, “Who is it? Oh, I’m sorry. I can’t come to the door right now. I’m afraid that in my weakened condition I might take a nasty spill down the stairs and subject myself to further school absences. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your concern for my well being. Have a nice day.” I might be driving into town for a long lunch or doing things that would keep me from answering my phone. You know what I mean?
Thanks.