Video Doorbell

I’m not totally sure what you mean by “notifications mess.” Mine seem to work pretty well.

Granted, all companies, including Wyze can always make improvements.

I would love to be able to have each account/profile (me, my wife, my daughter) choose to have different notifications for different devices (ie: settings done by the app/profile rather than universal from the device). I might want notifications every time something happens, but my wife and daughter don’t want those notifications, but they do still want others, and still want access to all the devices, just not all their notifications. Maybe that’s what you mean?

It would also be great to have customization, such as different sounds, etc. for different devices…but that can all be done using the “Light Flow” app. So I get different sounds and notifications for different devices already. I also use tasker to broadcast certain text to speech notifications to my Google Assistant devices. It’s easy to just silence and minimize all Wyze notifications and let Light Flow make them all different/customized and just pay attention to those.

My phone and google assistants will even audibly announce that a person is at the door, or if it was just my cat who triggered the sensor, or if one of the doors was left open too long. I can make special sounds, or text-to-speech announcements or any audio sound through my phone or smart speakers.

I also use TinyCam with a shortcut to the Frontdoor cam on my homescreen, so when it announces there is a person at the door I can just press on that shortcut and it quickly pulls up that cam live on my screen to see who it is (I can even have it automatically pull up that feed anytime it detects a person if I really wanted).

I’d hardly call any of that working the way it already does as risking making it a “brick” if it stays the same, especially all that functionality for just a $20 cam!). Still, it would be nice if some of that was more user-friendly built into the Wyze app itself. I am guessing that’s what you mean? I guess the point is that even if Wyze hasn’t built it all in, you can still do a ton of great stuff with it…definitely not a brick for me…I can’t imagine how the doorbell cam would be worse even if the notifications are still exactly the same,

I’m sure when someone presses the doorbell it rings inside your house, then pushes a notification on your phone with a thumbnail of the person that you can press on to load the device to see and talk to the person. It wouldn’t need much more. Maybe there will be option to have the feed automatically load up on your phone whenever the doorbell is pressed. That would be handy (starting muted of course…in case you are working or something).

Wyze notifications dont push through once my android 8 phone has been locked and sitting for a few minutes. Seems to be a common problem .Other notifications push through just fine…just not Wyze. Think I’ll stick with my Skybell.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, that would suck! I can see why you are frustrated then. I haven’t noticed those problems because I have a later version of Android. They definitely need to resolve that for you guys. Receiving notifications are pretty critical.

I am glad you mentioned it though, because I was considering getting a cheap tablet with an older version of Android to manage all the notifications/broadcasts and store all video feeds on a very large external harddrive run through tinycam…but if there is a push notification issue on older android versions then I better rethink that! You just saved me a lot of frustration, THANK YOU!

You bet. This forum is pretty great for info sharing. There are some threads here on notification problems… It seems to be shared by some iPhones as well. I’m a Wyze fan and have several cameras and sensors… notifications used to work just fine…then stopped. Everything comes through perfectly when my phone is being used or even charging. When its locked and idle though… it stops. I could blame my old phone if other notifications ( text, email, skybell, social media, etc.) also stopped but it seems to be Wyze only. Really sucks when I’m away from home.

3 Likes

Anyone else hopeful that today’s countdown hint means they might be releasing the Video Doorbell at the same time as ODC?

Come on, tell me, doesn’t the rectangular countdown icon look much more like the doorbell dimensions/shape than the outdoor cam:

My hope: Both get released at the same time and this is telling us that both are rated with IP65 Weather Resistance.

Sure would be awesome!

Yes.

2 Likes

Without FCC authorization.
That would phenomenal

1 Like

Good point, I know there are people here that watch the fcc posting, once the doorbell hits the fcc, someone will let us know.

1 Like

Maybe they are going to announce the rest of the 2020 product rollouts. They said the outdoor cam is next, but perhaps we’ll see what is coming after that.

1 Like

yeah that would be cool, there are several products on the roadmap that I’m interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

the teaser pic looked a lot more like the outdoor cams mini deathstar.

You’re not alone, in fact I’m using Galaxy S10 with Android 10 and latest security patch, still not getting prompt notification when phone is sitting idle long enough. Wyze’s app support report does not work either…

3 Likes

Yup! The dreaded Android 6+ Doze problem. Hope they can fix it and soon!

3 Likes

I was also waiting for the doorbell. I would have purchased it today if they had released it

Just purchased the outdoor cam today! Definitely sad the doorbell wasn’t part of today’s release. Hopefully they’re delaying it to change up the external design :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

So sad i can’t pre order because they don’t ship to Canada :rage:

2 Likes

Same!!! I even said i’ll pay a little more for Canadian shipping

Not to mention upgrade their server first…ordering took an hour of:

Crash - Refresh - Refresh - Refresh - FINALLY! Click submit - Crash - Refresh Refresh Refresh - FINALLY! Click submit - Crash

It was insanity.

Anyway, Doorbell can’t launch until they submit it for approval by the FCC. That means based on the timeline of what we saw with the outdoor cam, once we get notice it’s under review by the FCC, you can expect another 2 months before the announcement and then another 2 months to receive it. And if it was that close to launch, they might’ve just waited on this launch.

Basically the soonest we’ll see the Video Doorbell is December or 2021.

4 Likes

haha! I doubt it would take that long, outdoor cam is a different beast, with different challenges so hopefully the doorbell will be much quicker

Dave Crosby just said it’s on his front door and coming soon :wink:

1 Like