V3 Starlight lens vs Eufy 2K resolution vs V2 - picture comparison side-by-side

I don’t have the notification delay issue. I also disabled all battery optimizations on Android for wyze app.

I recommend that you do the same if you want timely notifications. I have it disabled because I have the wyze lock as well and I need it always running and active in the background to be able to autounlock. Even then it’s maybe 80% success.

Basically what I’m saying is that it has little to do with wyze, and more to do with your phones battery optimization algorithms.

There’s an inherent delay due to the shift from on-camera object detection (aka edge computing), to the current server-side object detection.

That’s what @jeff007 is referring to. No Android optimization can fix that.

Yes, I am simply hoping but thank you for the technical aspect info. Fingers crossed more cameras will get it and it will eventually become an industry norm. :grinning:

Battery optimizations? We are talking about the V3, not the Wyze Outdoor Cam battery operated model. But glad that fix for the delayed notifications works for you.

There is an integrated delay no matter what your settings are as I understand it. Perhaps changing other settings on certain model types will help some people but probably not everyone. The camera has to upload the whole video clip to the server/cloud and then analyze it, after that it will finally send you a notification. I think if there is motion in front of the camera for an extended period of time the notification will/can take a while as it might wait for motion to cease before completing the task of uploading to cloud/analyzing/notifying. This is not the way all companies selling cameras do this but Wyze currently does.

Well obviously you have no idea what I’m talking about…
I literally said “Android for wyze app” you do know what Android is right? The operating system used for 71% of all phones on the market right now?

The battery optimizations are for the phone, your phone goes to sleep and doesn’t do anything for 10 minutes, collects all the notifications all at once and displays them all at the same time. That’s why you have delayed notifications.

This battery optimization feature has been available since Android 6.0 called doze. Optimize for Doze and App Standby  |  Android Developers
Read that if you want to edumacate yourself.

you’re basically saying blaming the car when it runs out of gas saying it’s a bad product. The car has no control over the gas, you control whether you feed it gas.

Same thing with the wyze cam notifications, YOU control how often the app is allowed to wake your phone up and eat up your battery. The app cannot force the phone to wake up, connect to the network, and check for notifications without your explicit permission.

Disable the battery optimizations for the wyze app and it will be allowed to use as much power as it needs to get notifications as fast as possible. Expect your battery life to suffer as a trade off.

The reply was in reference to the “anywhere between 20 seconds to 10 minutes” of delay between notifications.

Huge delays like that are caused by notifications being delayed by battery optimizations on the phone. The x number of seconds required for RTT between upload to server and notification to your phone isn’t really something I’ve tried to measure nor has the delay been significant enough for me to really bother me. When I get a notification about the front door, I can view the video of the fedex guy walking up to my door and open the door before he even has the chance to ring the doorbell. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t take the guy 20 seconds to walk up to my door, so I don’t think the delay is even that high. It probably exists but doesn’t bother me for a $20 product that has no monthly fee. It actually works quite well for that.

1 Like

Interesting link. In the header it says Android 12, do you think that the turning off Battery optimization will now disable the Doze Mode, as it is supposed to? I have it disabled and a few other options, but until I ran the ADB command I have still experienced delayed notifications when the phone is off charger and been sitting for a period of time.

I have a Pixel 5 and did have the Pixel 4 prior.

Thanks for the info. However, I thought you met the camera, did not realize you were referring to Android. Just trying to have a friendly discussion here, nothing else. :grinning:

Unknown, basically with battery optimizations off on the app and the perm wyze notification in the notification area, it should always be running and have the fastest possible speed at getting notifications. The alternative is to follow the doze schedule which is only allowed to check for notifications and connect to the network at regular scheduled intervals.

Doze is an old features since Android 6.0 so there may be other optimizations added on top of that to try to squeeze out more battery life since 6.0. However, not turning off the battery optimizations, it is guaranteed to delay your notifications for much better battery life.

Edit: did some quick research: Keep adaptive battery & battery optimization on - Pixel Phone Help
pixel phones also have adaptive battery mode which tries to learn the best way to optimize your battery life and applies some heuristic algorithms which may delay notifications even more. Maybe try turning that off too.

Yea, I turned off Battery optimization, adaptive Battery, even the Adaptive network settings. However, I can only get notifications quickly when I run the ADB command to disable Doze.

When I do that, Notifications are not delayed and comes in as fast as the iPhone’s, sometimes faster.

3 Likes

It’s old territory for a lot of you but I just posted some screenshots on disabling Wyze battery optimization for Android. Thanks @spamoni and @franknozly.

2 Likes

As a Pixel 5 owner with Android 11, I ​can confirm everything you mentioned in this post. It all helps. ,But I want to make 1 point:

It’s really annoying to use that persistent notification. You can’t minimize it or anything so it constantly shows the icon at the top of the screen and looks like you have a new notification. You can’t tell if a new Wyze notification is there or there aren’t any (beside the persistent notification) unless you swipe down to check. That’s annoyance #1. The second issue is that it no longer allows you to swipe the entire group of Wyze notifications clear because the persistent notification can’t be cleared, you now must swipe all the others clear one by one. That is really annoying if you get a lot of notifications. I finally had to take it off and just deal with the occasional delays.

I suggest Wyze allow us to minimize the persistent notification (only shows when we swipe down and not full size showing up in the active thumbnail 24/7) and also try to group the rest separately. I have other apps that allow/do this, so it can be done. If they fix this I’ll re-enable the persistent notification…I just tried it for a couple of months and it was too aggravating and unnecessary in it’s current form.

1 Like

You can click and hold the persistent notification and it’ll bring you to the notification settings for Android. Then you can uncheck the Notifications Manager from wyze and it will remove that persistent notification.

I have no idea if that affects the ability of the app to persist in the background. My understanding is that there was a fundamental change in the Android OS that made it such that no app is safe from being closed unless it has an active notification. Maybe disabling the battery optimization for Wyze app might enable it to run in the background. But you can try it and see it works for you.

For the record, my phone is a OnePlus 8 pro on the latest stable Android 11. Stock, other than using nova prime launcher. In the phone settings, I have disabled battery optimization for the wyze app and am running the persistent wyze notification. I have not found any change in the notification delay.

I assume that delay has to do with the change from on camera AI to the server based AI when the original provider bailed forcing that change.

To hide the quiet notifications like the persistent one Wyze has in place do the following:

1. On your Android Device swipe Down twice
  2. Click the Gear (to go into the settings area)
  3. Search for Hide
  4. Toggle On the Hide Silent Notifications

By doing this, the Wyze notification will not appear in the banner area, but will still be running.

It will also hide all other silent notifications until you swipe down to see notifcations.

I have all of the optimizations off on my Pixel 5. Although the steps identified did help some, it was not as it should be. Currently, the only option for me was to run the ADB Command to Disable Doze Mode. Once I did this, Alerts are as fast as the iPhone.

Apparently, battery optimization has nothing to do with it on my phone. I have a choice of intelligent control, optimize, or don’t optimize. I have the last option checked and in the wyze app, also have the persistent option enabled. No change in notification delay.

This was my experience as well. I ended up testing the ADB Command last year and I was able to get the Alerts in a timely fashion. The ADB option will require you to run it everytime you reboot the phone, but I only really reboot when a patch is installed so it is not a huge issue for me. But this is only when the phone is off the charger and has not been used for a period of time, when it enters Doze. When it is being used or on a charger, Doze Mode is not active.

I tried hide silent notification but mine is still showing up. I am using the WyzeBeta app though so maybe it’s not classified as silent, whatever silent means.