For months I’ve had a V2 side-by-side with an Eufy Indoor 2K, both watching my front porch through a window (for failsafe redundancy). Now I got a V3 and decided to put it where the V2 was to compare the V3 picture quality to the Eufy (and the V2 too I guess). I will eventually move the V3 outside so there is no window glare.
So, the V3 has a Starlight lens, but is only 1080p compared to Eufy’s 2K, so I thought, in theory, it might bring in more light, but be half the resolution and so not look quite as good in some ways. Will the V3 be hard to see around light sources (white-washed out with over exposure), making eufy better, or will the starlight lens take the win overall? Of course, this comparison has both of them looking through a window, so there will be some glare. Let’s also post an image from the V2 (just before I traded it out for the V3) in there for reference too.
All 3 with the room light on but curtain closed (Top=V2, Middle=V3, Bottom=Eufy2K)
All 3 with the room light off and curtain closed (Top=V2, Middle=V3, Bottom=Eufy2K)
In my opinion, the 2K on the eufy doesn’t make it appear significantly better than the V3 at night with the V3’s superior Starlight sensor. I was also surprised that the whitewashing wasn’t better on the Eufy. The V2 looks significantly worse than the Eufy 2K, but the V3 looks better than the Eufy, and for half the cost, I award the points as follows:
- 1 pt Eufy = Free local/edge person & pet detection
- 1 pt Eufy = No notification cooldown without a subscription
- 1 pt V3 = Less glare than the Eufy 2K through a window watching my Front porch
- 1 pt V3 = Easier to see farther away even though it’s half the resolution. (less glare, not whitewashed more than the Eufy 2K either)
- 1 pt V3 = Base cost is Half the base cost of the Eufy 2K and same cost as the V2
- 1 pt V3 = I got my 1 year Cam Plus subscription for this cam for free anyway because of how I worked out the Black Friday deal, so I have no notification cooldown, and will have person, pet, package, face and other AI detection benefits, plus cloud storage and more for the first year for free. That’s probably worth more than 1 point.
- -1 pt Eufy = eufy’s local storage is funky. it stores all events (motion, person, pet, crying, etc) in a separate location from all nonevent recordings, then when it gets full it starts to struggle to show one or the other in the timeline unless I reformat the card (I have used other cards). It’s not consistently like that, but it has happened at least a dozen times over the last several months
V2 = 0 points (compared to the other 2)
Eufy = 1 point (due to it’s annoying negative point)
V3 = 4 points.
The V3 slaughters the other 2 in this comparison. Despite the V3 being half the resolution of the Eufy 2K and susceptible to 20X the light intake, thus at risk for white-washing around light sources, it still provides a much more clear picture at night overlooking these same conditions. V3 beats the Eufy in this particular round.
Perhaps I’ll do a round 2 sometime later in the daytime where the V3’s night advantage might slip a little to the Eufy’s 2K resolution. Also, each of the above were given the same amount of points, but some of them may be weighted more strongly than others in actuality.
What are your thoughts on the comparison?