V2 WPA3 support - Does anyone have it working?

@Known1 , thanks for this thread. I didn’t realize cams were supposed to work on WPA3. I recently implemented WPA3 but I keep Wyze on its own WPA2 network.

2 Likes

You bet. Apparently it is up to us end users to hold WYZE accountable. Many people here are truly fanboys and are far too forgiving as far as I’m concerned. When a corporation states that they support something, most people expect that corporation to deliver on that something. For one reason or another, many individuals on this forum seem unwilling to hold WYZE accountable or like to make excuses as to why things are the way they are.

Oddly enough, it is only the older v2 cams that WYZE has previously stated support for WPA3. Something tells me that WYZE is finally giving this issue the attention it deserves. As previously stated, I have high hopes the v3’s will get some attention as well.

2 Likes

Figured I better post something before this thread gets closed out. Any updates on this Mr. @WyzeJasonJ ?

Been waiting 15 months now for something WYZE claimed was working.

3 Likes

It really would be nice for this to get attention, particularly since the company is paying such lip service to security they they are forcing people to use two factor authentication even when it’s not needed or wanted.

WPA3 really would help security for those people who need and want to use it. It’s like the opposite of how they’re treating 2FA.

3 Likes

Good morning @WyzeJasonJ:

Could you please provide us with an update regarding this issue? I have a bunch of high school kids living across the street that are now having a blast knocking my cams offline. The only fix I have right now is to add additional SSIDs to my AP, which changes the mac address tied to the SSID that my cams connect to. This tweak was lasting a few days. Those performing the de-authentication attack have figured this out. Now I’m lucky to get an hour before they knock the two cams watching my driveway (with their place in the background) offline.

If modern WiFi security still is not on the WYZE roadmap, I’m going to have to replace at least these two cams with something that supports WPA3. Side note: I’ve been watching the BETA threads and it doesn’t look good or give me a warm fuzzy.

Please advise ASAP and thank you for your time.

2 Likes

@Known1
I know they are working on it, but I have not heard which update they were aiming for yet. Let me poke around and see if I can find out how close they are.

4 Likes

Good afternoon @WyzeJasonJ . It has been a week since you stated you would “poke around”. Any word on when we can expect the functionality (supposedly) added in July of 2021 to actually work?

Thank you for digging into this.

1 Like

@Known1
Thank you for reminding me, It is still being worked on but is very close. I do not like giving ETA when I am not personally in control of hitting it.

2 Likes

@WyzeJasonJ
Thank you very much for the update and your time. I completely understand where you’re coming from when it comes to providing an exact date/time when you are not in control of the situation.

On the other hand, close could mean a number of things and likely means something different to everyone. Kind of like the word soon. Is it safe to assume sometime in Q4 of 2022 or will it likely be Q1 2023? Also, when the fix is available for the V2’s, will WPA3 support be added to the V3’s at or around the same time?

Thank you again kind Sir.

I personally am liking this one but I am again not in control of it, it will be what I push for though.

This I do not know because I have not asked about the v3’s, I will have to look into that one.

2 Likes

Wow, I just watched that video and learned something new. Thanks.

2 Likes

I finally had the uncomfortable and awkward conversation with my neighbor about the de-authentication packets being sent to my access point. Either he took action with the kids under his roof or coincidently whomever was sending the packets stopped shortly after our conversation.

Proving where the packets are coming from is not an easy thing to do. In order to do so I would need to walk around with my laptop running Kali Linux and a WiFi adapter in monitoring mode. I’ve done this in the past and really didn’t want to go there yet again. Based on monitoring from within my home it became obvious where the packets were coming from based on the timing. When certain people left their home, I never had an issue. When those people returned home, the problem started. So it was either exactly who I thought it was or someone smart enough to make it appear as if it is the person I suspect. Option one is far more feasible than a 3rd party trying to make someone else look guilty.

I’m still very hopeful that WYZE can bring ALL of their supported cameras up to date with 2018 WiFi security standards relatively soon!

I know there are people on this forum who believe I’m spending far too much time and worry on this topic. I understand where those people are coming from and agree that I have spent a lot of time on this. With that said, I’ve been with WYZE for a long while now and am heavily invested. I also have a lot of friends and family that are heavily invested because of my recommendations. Therefore I have indeed become a bulldog when it comes to this topic.

4 Likes

I appreciate it, even though I discount the need for most people. It’s weird that the neighbor kids keep screwing with you for no (apparent) reason.

Advertised features should work as advertised. Especially security features.

Thanks for the words of encouragement to stick with it. I could go into a long story as to why she is doing what she is doing, but it would be pure speculation on my part. I’ve never once talked to her other than to say “hi” when I return from a walk or the mailbox. I know if I was 16 years old and wanted to sneak out of the house…I wouldn’t be a fan of cameras pointed in my general direction.

When I spoke to the man of the house, I let him know that all of the cameras are constantly recording to internal memory 24/7 and are setup to hold a bit more than 3-days of video. Knocking them offline does not stop the recording, but does prevent clips being sent to the cloud along with alerts being sent out when motion is detected. I went on to explain the only way the recording to the internal memory would stop is if someone cut the power. I also explained that I have real time log files from my access point of every single de-authorization attack, which is easily paired up with a given camera (based on MAC address) These de-authorizations are causing me to go back to the memory card at the time of the attack to review things. I’ve been reviewing the cams far more closely than I would if the de-authorization had never taken place. I caught the 16-year old leaving the house at 1:45am this past Friday evening and jumping into a red car because of this very reason. I sent him the clip.

I don’t know how much of what I explained to him was shared with the members of his household. Nor do I really care. I’m just glad it has stopped! I now have cameras on the inside of my house watching the cameras mounted outside. This way if someone tries to steal a camera or cut the power, I’ll have that person on a camera that is inside. Are we having fun yet?

The previous culprit was a drug dealer that moved out of the neighborhood in February of this year. He didn’t care for my cameras one bit. The person before that was down the street a bit. I have no idea what his deal was or is.

To be honest, if my access point didn’t provide real time logs of the attacks, I likely would have never known what was taking place. It’s not like I sit here with Kali Linux running using a pair of high gain external antennas connected to a WiFi adapter in monitoring mode; which captures EVERY de-auth and disassociate packet to Wireshark via a custom capture filter all day long. :slight_smile: Okay you got me, that’s exactly what I do when my access point logs start filling up with de-authorization attacks.

Yup, guilty as charged…IT dude with lots of time. With that said, I’m trying to leave this terrible industry behind (after 27 years) and move into personal income taxes.

2 Likes

Three different people in different locations choosing to conduct deauth attacks in your cameras? It doesn’t make any sense to me. If they had something to hide I would think they’d put on a mask/hoodie and take down your cameras.

Doesn’t make sense to me either! If I didn’t have the logs to prove it was happening I wouldn’t believe it for a second. Also, the attacks always stop after a conversation…other than the drug dealer.

At that time I had cameras setup inside of my home watching his driveway. He had all sorts of guests that would drop in for 5-minutes at a time. I didn’t talk to the drug dealer about it and just dealt with the attacks, which stopped as soon as he moved out in February of this year.

This recent round of attacks started up about a month ago or so. Again, I had a conversation and they have completely stopped.

I should add, that another neighbor who is retired has a lot of problems staying connected to his WiFi any time after 10pm. So it’s not like I’m the only one being attacked. The next time I chat with him I’m going to offer some free IT services to address his issues. He just needs a better wifi adapter and router/access point that supports WPA3 and he’ll be set.

2 Likes

Your adventures make for very interesting reading! :+1: :+1:

And lead me to the tangent question - do you know of, or recommend any current WiFi cams that DO support WPA3 on 2.4Ghz? Or maybe even IoT brands in general?

The only things currently showing up on my WLAN as WPA3 connected are 5Ghz phones and PCs. (all our “real” security cams are hardwired)

And a cursory web search seemed to indicate that no Wyze, Blink, Ring, Eufy, ReoLink or Argus cams currently support WPA3…??

Thanks!

2 Likes

An excellent definition of a “real” security cam. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. I am not sure if any of the brands you mentioned support WPA3 in their 2.4GHz cams either. The only reason I’m making such a fuss about this is because in July of 2021 WYZE stated they added the functionality to the v2 cameras. Clearly that is a bold faced lie and they have yet to officially apologize or denounce the functionality publicly.

I know it is technically possible to support WPA3 on a 2.4GHz channel. There are 2.4GHz wireless power plugs from at least one vendor that supports WPA3. Unfortunately that vendor doesn’t make or offer cameras.

I have thought about sending this thread to the likes of a technical magazine or two and let them run with the story. I think waiting 15-months for this proclaimed functionality to work is beyond patient. With that said, it did take WYZE about 3-years to patch a well known and documented vulnerability. Search the forums for that thread…a lot of people were in awe over that one.

I know WYZE is not a true security company, but they sure do represent themselves as one. Just like SimpliSafe - they don’t support WPA3 either. Being in IT, I am very well aware that there is no such thing as a secure wireless network. With that said, the WPA2 vulnerabilities are well known and easily fixed with WPA3. I also know that you get what you pay for. Again, it is WYZE themselves that said they support WPA3. They need to either support it or publicly apologize for the 15-month old lie which they continue to propagate to this day.

3 Likes

Likely not an outright lie. More likely it was tested in house and at least appeared to be working - maybe the AP was in WPA2/WPA3 transition mode (as Meraki calls it). Neither you nor I know for sure. Obviously it was not well tested however. Also appears that very few people here have tried to test it. I don’t remember why I never followed up on it last year - lack of time or inspiration most likely…
Just curious Known1, what APs you are using? I normally have three Meraki MR34 and one MR42 in service. Only the MR42 can handle WPA3, so until I do some upgrading, I can’t fully implement WPA3. I do have another MR42, but I don’t know where it got buried in the garage…