V2 WPA3 support - Does anyone have it working?

I just updated my network hardware for the purpose of having WPA3 security. I got a pretty good Netgear router. The Orbi Pro SXR80 with a SXS80 satellite. Then I found out Wyze products won’t let me set them up in WPA3. However, there are 4 full featured wifi radios preconfigured. It’s like 4 wifi routers in one piece of hardware. This lets me have my Wyze products on a separate wifi network with WPA2 and separate IP addressing. I had to use WPA2 to set them up. I have a WPA3 wifi setup that I use and I can connect to them. There must be some sort of bridging between the two networks.

1 Like

Good evening and thank you for your input. It sounds like you have multiple SSIDs on your Orbi. One SSID is using WPA2, which is what you have your WYZE gear setup on. You then have another SSID that has WPA3 setup on it. You are able to access the WZYE devices from another device on the WPA3 SSID. This is my understanding of your setup. If my understanding is correct, your WYZE devices are still using WPA2. Try to set up your WYZE devices on your WPA3 only SSID - they won’t work.

1 Like

I just turned off WPA2 on both my access points. None of my 4 Wyze cam v2’s can talk to WiFi now. I will double check the firmware on the cams, I know I loaded them with the newest last summer. Its time to rid my house of anything that cannot securely connect to WiFi now. WPA3 was released in 2016 from what I can tell, that’s a long time ago.

1 Like

Hmm, I think WPA3 came out around 2018 or so. With that said, it is still crazy that someone touting themselves as having a “security” solution still doesn’t have a single device that works with WPA3!

I don’t blame you for taking the approach you mentioned. Long ago I isolated all WPA2 devices on my networks.

For the record, it is still broke on the v2’s with the latest firmware version offered as of 1/30/2022. This is now more than 6-months since WYZE “Added” this for v2s.

Seriously - What is up?!?

4.9.8.860 (January 26, 2022)

• Bug fixes
3 Likes

I would hate for anyone to think that this is actually working. At this point anything WYZE has to say is clearly laughable. They touted this functionality was added last July (as in 2021). Yet here it is March of 2022 and I have yet to find a single person that has a V2 camera functioning on a WPA3 only WiFi network.

2 Likes

We’re now coming up on a full year since WYZE supposedly enabled WPA 3 on v2 cameras. There is still not a single person on this forum that has reported it working properly. So WYZE, I won’t be buying or recommending any more of your cameras until they support WPA 3.

Yeah, people in my neighborhood were doing this constantly, until I walked around with my laptop and started knocking on doors. Fortunately the main culprit, who was dealing drugs, has moved out!

Like you see in this video, anyone with a $50 (or less if you know what you’re doing) device can make ALL of your WYZE cams go offline and remain offline as long as they want!

Very well know WPA2 security vulnerability

1 Like

@WyzeJasonJ - Can we PLEASE get someone at WYZE to look into this? It has been 11 months since WYZE supposedly added this functionality and nobody can get a v2 cam to talk on a WPA3 secured network.

2 Likes

Sounds like a bug for sure. Advertised feature does not work.

2 Likes

@Known1
I have reported this to the team.

2 Likes

I received a pretty quick update. They are aware of the issue and it is set to be re-released in upcoming firmware but I do not have an ETA. I can say it is actively being worked on. I will keep you updated.

5 Likes

:index_pointing_at_the_viewer: You Sir are definitely worth reaching out to here on the forum. Thank you so VERY much for your time and excellent communication.

I am extremely happy to hear that this matter has been recognized as an issue. I am also very pleased to know that they are actively attempting to address the issue. Going this route is much better than changing the forum rules such that a person is not able to reply to a thread more than 3x in a row. :unamused:

Since we’ve been waiting close to a year now, I sincerely hope it won’t be much longer. :crossed_fingers:t6: Did I say thank you? I honestly look forward to additional updates. Heck I might even join the BETA team when the time comes?

3 Likes

You’re welcome @Known1. One of the things I am doing now that I am an employee is to try to get more representation from Wyze here. While it is still primarily a user to user forum I do see a lot of things here and will see things I am tagged in. I may not always have a good answer but I will do my best.

7 Likes

For me being only 20 days late to the party ain’t all bad.
I hope wpa3 gets worked out soon.

I’m worried a bit more now, that this vulnerability is being warned about n possibly taught on Utube.

2 Likes

I just had EmporiaEnergy update their SmartPlug that’s WiFi4 to support WPA3 last week. So its possible to do. After their initial attempts to make it work failed I figured it wasn’t possible on old WiFi4 hardware, similar to the Wyze hardware. But that’s not the case as I can turn my TP Link AP to WPA3-SAE and they connect now! (which they wouldn’t do unless I had it set to Auto) (wpa2/wpa3) sometimes referred to as “transitional” mode. -Bill

2 Likes

That’s good news, thanks. I hope some Wyze developers are watching.

1 Like

This month makes a full year since WYZE said WPA3 was working on a v2. I’m pleased they admit that it isn’t working and based on this thread it is clear that it never was working.

I’m hopeful that the next v2 and v3 firmware releases will include this much needed functionality. After all, how can anyone take WYZE seriously as a “security” solution if anyone in the world can disable their cameras with a readily available solution that costs about the same as a single v3 camera?

WPA3 isn’t un-hackable, but the JIGIGANORMIS hole in WPA2 has been addressed.

2 Likes

@Known1
Just circling back to let yo know I am still checking in on this issue. I do know it is being worked on, I am not sure which FW it is projected to be in so I still cannot give an ETA, but when I can I will let everyone know.

6 Likes

Please immediately address this (support 802.11w or WPA3). I tested on my own network. I was able to deauth all of my cameras from a mesh setup on a WPA2/WPA3 transition network with 2 commands after getting the AP info.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience. Isn’t it amazing how easy it is?

1 Like