V2 solid yellow light, how to fix

Better stop buying Wyze products now.

The cam v2 could be converted to a webcam. It is working fine with windows 10. I just changed it.
If you want a 2nd camera from an angle rather than the front laptop cam, here is wyze cam you can use before trashing it. :upside_down_face:

Same issue here. Firmware upgrade through app failed, manually flashed using SD card and cam is stuck with solid yellow light.

Unless one of the mavens can get the attention of the Wyze engineers, they aren’t going to engage. Nearly impossible to get attention from the staff.

How frustrating to have my camera bricked after succumbing to Wyze’s constant nagging about updates available. Now I have a yellow nightlight that clicks all night.

Even though this is an old thread, it was first on Google results, so other people might still find it as I did.

I went through all the steps suggested in the thread and what finally worked for me was to simply switch to an old 2 GB SD card I had stashed, instead of the 64 GB I normally had in all my cameras.

The steps were:

1. Download newest firmware from: Release Notes & Firmware – Wyze - which was “4.9.9.2847” at the time
  2. Unzip the .bin file and name it demo.bin
  3. Copy the demo.bin to a 2 GB SD card (the exact same steps did not work on 3 different 64 GB cards)
  4. Insert the SD card into the camera
  5. Press and hold setup button on the camera
  6. Plug in the power
  7. Wait 5-10 seconds for the solid orange to change to a solid light blue (in reality just the orange and blue at the same time)
  8. Camera will start clicking away and I just left it there for 10 minutes or so
  9. Eventually it will turn from the solid light blue to a solid blue and camera was working again

Hopefully someone else scrolls all the way down and finds my post to revive their bricked cameras.

1 Like

I have been trying everything in this thread but my V2 cam still doesn’t work. Here is what I have found so far.

1. This V2 cam was sitting around for a couple years before i tried to install it (in stock spare), It installed fine and then asked to update, which I did. The camera went offline never to be seen again. Solid yellow light and reboots about every 1-1.5 minutes. Did not allow or respond to factory reset, it just continues to reboot and light stays solid yellow. I deleted the camera from my app but since the camera was offline I don’t think the camera was updated to reflect its status as removed.
  2. Manually flashed with version 4.9.9.2847. As soon as it loaded the software and booted the light was solid yellow and rebooted every 1-1.5 minutes. Same result if I manually flashed version 4.9.9.2351,
  3. Manually flashed to version 4.9.6.156. After software loaded the camera boot and stayed solid yellow and didn’t periodically reboot as with the newer software versions. The camera still would not respond to a factory reset.
  4. Manually flashed to version 4.9.5.115. After software loaded the camera booted and The light was flashing yellow/blue and didn’t periodically reboot as with the newer software versions. The camera still would not respond to a factory reset.

This leads me to a couple observations. After the V2 cam gets to this state the firmware affects the behavior of the camera which means this is most likely a software or upgrade path issue. I also believe because the camera was offline during the removal from the app, there is a security feature which is preventing it from doing a factory reset. This is likely to protect from camera theft and use in someone else’s network.

As of now this camera is a brick until someone comes up with a way to force the camera to do a factory reset.

Although Wyze Support did send me a free Wyze Cam v3 some time ago to as a remediation to my Wyze Cam v2 bricked after a Wyze App suggested firmware update, I would still like to figure out why the Wyze Cam v2 seem to get stuck in this state. I think, after seeing the activity in this thread and other places online, it would be a very worthwhile investment for Wyze engineers. Please figure this out so we can get our cameras working again.

I had the apparent brick problem post update on my v2 and it appears the micro SD card was the problem. Once I removed it I was able to factory reset. It’s still being funny about the card but I at least have a mostly working camera now.

Removing the SD card from my camera did not allow for a factory reset no matter which firmware was loaded on the camera. I believe the real issue here is that after a firmware update that is several versions newer than what is on the camera causes some type of malfunction where the camera can’t recover. Firmware version 4.9.9.1433 required that you redo the camera setup due to security improvements. My guess is when you upgrade from version considerably older than 4.9.9.1433 to a version several version newer than 4.9.9.1433 there are some important intermediate functions that need to happen but are skipped when you make this big jump.

Same issue as everyone else. My wife wanted me to sign up for monitoring with them. Guess I am going to buy from a different company who supports their products.

same experience. 2 out of my 5 v2 cameras bricked after updating from older firmware (2020) to a 2022 firmware. Both bought in 2020 but were only set up in 2022. Both were running fine out of the box. Then both bricked with solid yellow light and have periodic “click” sound after picking up the latest firmware.

My other 3 v2 camera have had no issue with firmware updates as they have been kept up to date as soon as new firmware is released.

I tried resetting with every version of firmware available and all sizes of cards (4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB). It didn’t help. There is clearly an issue with jumping from older firmware to newer firmware directly. The worst is the current state doesn’t allow factory reset to the original 2020 firmware.

Just received a v2 Cam as a gift (I have many other Wyze products - cameras, air purifier, vacuums).

Set it up, worked fine, updated firmware and got solid yellow light and clicking sound.

I had similar issues, tried all recommended fixes with no success until I tried a suggestion from user Zessen posted Jan 1.

I used a 2GB card, extracted and renamed demo_4.9.9.2847.bin to demo.bin onto the card, held down reset button while connecting power (10 secs). Started flashing blue & yellow, went to app and added the camera. All good. Could it be the 2GB card?? perhaps.

I got a 2GB card but this was a no-go for me.

What did you format the SD card as? I tried FAT (MS-DOS) and ExFAT.

Under macOS, FAT (MS-DOS)

1 Like

FAT it was.

1 Like

I have had the same issue with 2 of my B2 cameras. Bought it and instal was a breeze then firmware update and it doesn’t work.

I also have 5 Wyze pan V2 cameras and 2 V3 cameras for outdoor and they all work perfectly fine.

I have reached out to Wyze support without an answer.

I have done my research only to find out that the cameras/model designs are the same as the ones Roku is selling. EXCEPT Roku has better customer service than Wyze. I will buy this camera again, but with the Roku firmware.

Wyze sold some of its camera designs to Roku which is why they made new (more horrendous) designs that I will not buy.

Although I love my other “WORKING” Wyze cameras, I will be switching my other cameras to Roku cameras.