V2 rtsp feedback - other cameras drop on the network

RTSP has never worked reliably for at least (I would assume) the majority of users who voted in the forums for the intended function; an IP camera that provided a video stream that can be access by another piece of software.

As they forewarned, they lack the resource to put a priority to this function, It’s just too bad they left the the state of the firmware unusable to a point where most of us who wanted the feature in the first place, have stopped expressing our voices, lost faith that this will be improved upon and have moved on to a different solution.

It’s been over a year and no forward progress has been made.

1 Like

So this is not really ideal for people using the camera for security purposes and trying to save the stream, so keep this in mind. For my use case, I was able to send restart commands to the camera via IFTTT and a webhook on an interval.

I thought this might help people using the camera for OpenCV type projects like myself.

i also have a daily automation that reboots all cameras using ifttt too.

@Hacksore @yfaber - Have you seen any improvement in the regular video feed drops since implementing the daily reboots? Or is it still doing it on a regular basis? I have 4 wyze cams, and they have rolling drops every few minutes. They reconnect after ~5 seconds or so each time, but it takes a little while between the video no longer updating, to realizing the signal loss, to the reconnect.

I’ve found the reboots to help out for reliability in my application. However, since I only grab one image from the camera every minute I can’t say that the feed stability is satisfactory given I don’t consume a live steam for long periods of time.

Maybe others can chime in on the advantages they’ve seen with automated reboots.

I am currently looking for other solutions that provide reliable RTSP stream; it’s very annoying when the stream goes down and I have to go into the camera on the Wyze app in order to “regenerate” for it to work again. Disappointing to hear that Wyze devs cannot make any improvements on this.

Yes, I agree. Lately it seems like this is happening more and more. It’s disappointing that, since an overwhelming amount of people use the RTSP firmware that they can’t work out the bugs. I know they said that RTSP couldn’t be maintained like the regular firmware but it’s only had 1 update since it came out. Between this, the fact that the outdoor camera has not been released yet and assuming it will be be 1080p and I’m guessing around 40 for the camera, I have moved on from wyze. 1080p no longer interests me since now I have found 5mp ip bullet cameras that are around that same price range and are compatible with RTSP, blue iris which I run. Sorry wyze you’ve dragged your feet too long waiting for a outdoor 1080p camera, which no longer interests me.

I bought a Reolink E1 Zoom to test out, 5MP and RTSP out of the box. I’ve reached my limit with the unreliability of the RTSP stream on the Wyze cams,

I was experiencing such issues but that was since a week ago. A week ago i discovered the functionality to automatically reboot the camera at a given time of the day.
This makes the whole experience really stable and i do not notice any dropouts in the streams anymore.
It’s not optimal but for a 20$ cam i’ll reboot at 4h30 am every day :slight_smile:

Is this in the Wyze app?

Main Screen → “+” in upper left of screen → Add Rule → Schedule → Select Camera or Group of Cameras → Restart the Camera

Then select a time, give the rule a name and save.

:smiley:

/Edit - Corrected as per @T_T 's reminder :point_down:! Thanks!! :smiley:

1 Like

yes, you can configure that as sodcam just said. Do note you can also apply this at once for a group of cameras which is THE gamechanger :wink:

1 Like

Interesting info. Still, a bandaid to an issue the vendor isn’t interested in correcting to work properly. Is the code written by x Microsoft employees? :slight_smile:

haha. I guess not, if iot were the case the cam would have the same quality AND cost 200 $ :smiley:

I have given up on Wyze. THese are great cameras for “Tinkerers” However if you want a stable setup you need to find some other vendor. I have a setup with 3 Amcrest Wifi cameras and 3 Wyze running RTSP. The Wyze constantly drop connections even though they work fine in the App. The Amcrest rarely drop and when they do, they gracefully recover. The only way to recover a Wyze is to restart the camera. Rather than trying to roll out new products, Wyze should probably devote more time to making their products more stable. I have complaints about Sense as well but wont go there.

I just bought 2 Wyze Cam V2s and a Pan, to replace the old iPhones I was using for IP / RTSP cameras. The iPhones started overheating in the summer heat, so I figured it was a good time to replace with something purpose-built.

I chose Wyze for the low cost and RTSP support, even though I knew RTSP was going to be barely-supported.

I am using StreamLabs OBS on my PC, with VLC Sources pointed at the RTSP streams from the Wyze cams. It mostly works, except for when it doesn’t. Even before I made the switch to the Wyze, I had to write a script to periodically detect whether the PC had a connection to the RTSP port on the camera IP, and if not, restart the connection.

I still have that script running now with the Wyze cams. I’ve only had them up and running for about a day, and notice that they will randomly lose their connection despite strong wifi signal strength. Sometimes they are up for 10+ minutes straight, sometimes they lose their connection after 1 minute.

For me the fix is as simple as restarting the RTSP stream on the PC - that is, basically relaunching VLC to connect to the stream again. I have not yet had to restart the camera by either unplugging or by using the app.

With my restarting script I basically get 5-20 seconds of frozen image any time the camera loses connection. It’s annoying for sure, but I respect that the devs implemented RTSP at all.

Question: Is anyone getting audio through RTSP in VLC? My audio is super choppy at best. Audio is great through the app, though.

Audio sucks over RTSP, no matter how you do it; it’s in and out I find, clipping consistently.
In the app, sound is great.
Something is wrong in the RTSP implementation; yes, it’s great we even have it, but I consider it broken; still, I am using it till I find a re liable alternative. I also concur with your finding in that with full/great signal, the RTSP stream barfs at random periods, all the time. Someone pointed out that they are using a super old version of a server in the implementation or something like that… (sorry, don’t recall).

I think after a few years I think I have finally got this thing to work. les see if it says up

so far so good, these are the setting I am using in blue iris 4 w/ V2X2 and one Wyze pan,

Thanks for posting that, i’m using BIv5, but simply none of the setting make a difference, problem is with Wyze side. The Watchdog option is good to have, I have implemented it recently to email me when the cams go up/down, randomly this happens and seems to dump/affect multiple cams around the same time. Looks like Wyze is supposed to relase FW with RTSP support soon, looking forward to that!