Thermostat fan delay function

I too have had to disconnect the G wire so the fan doesn’t come on prematurely. This is definitely a bug that hopefully Wyze can simply fix with a firmware update. It should be configurable, since I’m sure there are plenty of systems that turn on the fan immediately with the call for heat (as evidenced by the lack of uproar). For the AC side, I guess I have to hook up the G wire to the existing Y wire so the fan turns on with the AC. Until this is fixed, the Fan Cycle and Coast to Cool features are not going to work, let alone just having the option of turning on the fan by itself. I sent a support email into Wyze, but just got back an automated nonsense reply so far.

Yes I hope they do something soon. Ill sell it to someone who needs a basic one for there garage if they do not fix the issue. Hope you hear back with a better response.

I paid a HVAC guy $73 to find the thermostat thinks our systems are electric heat units, blows cool air so the coils don’t burn up. This was after I believe he disconnected the G at the furnace. If you’re still having trouble with C, check your whole wire run from thermostat to furnace. We found a tape bundled extender set that had the C wrapped around and around the bundle. No need, there was plenty of wire. I also have another 2 set for my AC, yellow and red.

I hope they come up with the fix soon. If I saw this post I wouldn’t have purchased 2 thermostats like I did. I’ve also disconnected the G wire from the thermostat and still waiting for a response from Wyze that I’ve sent 2 weeks ago. Any person knows your furnace preheats a set time before the blower fan comes on. I not sure why they can’t fix the program.

Wyze’s Pluses: Innovative products at great prices
Wyze’s Negs: Updates, support & communications

Solution is to reset the thermostat using the knob control. Delete the device from your Wyze account. Add the thermostat and go through the setup again, clicking thru each screen.

When you get to the part where app asks for info about your heating system, feel free to select the type of energy … e. g. gas. However, when it asks what type of hearing system, do NOT select furnace/forced_air. Instead, select OTHER. App will finish up and then ask you to double check the operation. First task is that it will turn on the heat. You will notice that this time, the furnace turns on normally, with only the flu fan operating. When chamber air is sufficiently heated, air circulation blower will turn on and start to push warm air thru ducting into house. Finish up with the setup tasks. Then use the app controls to test whether you can turn fan off and on independently; you will notice that it works!

So, with this solution, G wire is connected, furnace fans are turning on as they were designed to do, under the control of the furnace, and you have independent control of the circulation fan.

I hope this helps someone.

5 Likes

HOOKDOG!!! Everyone on this thread owes you a drink or our first born or something!!! Holy expletives Batman, That worked!!!

Just remember to select “other” after it asks for your fuel type.

Thank you, Hookdog. Maybe you should work at Wyze. Why wouldn’t Wyze tell us about this solution months ago? Holy cow - The G wire is not the only disconnect that is happening here…

Thank You, Hookdog!!!
So where can I ship you a case of beer? :smiley:

Shame on Wyze for not suggesting this 2 and a half months ago, and for not fixing their firmware to make it necessary to use a work around like this. AC season is about here and the fan wire must be connected.

Kudos to @Hookdog for finding this.

@Hookdog Thanks for taking the time to try all of the options and finding the one that works! Definitely appreciate it. Expect that in a few months or next year, a firmware update will add this to the “forced air” option on the thermostat. But in the meantime, this works. It wasn’t a big impact for me, since I’m in Arizona, but having the system not optimized was bugging me. Now if I lived in Minnesota, my family would have complained, not to mention the higher utility bills.

Awesome!!! Hookdog. Thank you very much for finding this fix. I can re-install the thermostat now. You are the Man👍

@Hookdog, thank you for this information. I tried this out on my setup, which has the c-wire adapter in place. It does appear to work, but independent fan control disappears when not choosing forced air, presumably due to the fact that the wiring in my setup is Y1 W1 Rc C, with no separate G. For now I have reverted back to indicating forced air, as I do use the manual fan control at times. If it get motivated I could always run new wiring to connect the C wire at the furnace and the thermostat, and remove the adapter.

Hookdog
Does this solution work for air conditioning as well? Does EVERYTHING work as it should?

I stumbled on this “solution” by mistake. It became clear from all the posts in this forum that the operational concept Wyze used for “gas furnace/forced air” didn’t match up with how my furnace worked. I have a gas, heat-only forced air system with a flue fan and an air circulation fan. So, I realized that the assumptions they used for gas forced_air weren’t correct for my furnace. The furnace has worked great for years and I wanted to make sure that the new Tstat wouldn’t create any issues with the furnace. Also, I have some visitors that like a warm house and would complain greatly if the ducts spewed cold air for 5 minutes every time the “heat” turned on.

I went back through the setup and this time, when I got to the FUEL menu, I selected “OTHER” to see what other options there were. It didn’t offer me any other options; it just brought me to the next screen. Here again, instead of selecting furnace/forced_air, I selected OTHER to see if there were alternate descriptors that could be applied. Nope, it just brought me to the FINISH. So, it didn’t know the fuel or the type of heating system. I tried it and the fans worked as they were designed to. Then I went back and pressed GAS followed by OTHER. That config worked, so I posted it because it seemed like it would apply to a lot of the posts in this thread.

I recommend that you try different menu selections and see what works for your setup. Then post your HVAC setup and the thermostat settings that worked.

Documentation:
My original LUX thermostat had Rc jumpered to Rh. My hunch is that this told the thermostat to not apply power to the green wire when it is in the heat mode. There is zero documentation provided with the Wyze Thermostat. In comparison, all of our old thermostats probably came with a double-sided page of instructions. I now understand that they did that because there are so many different HVAC configurations. I think if we look through the documentation for our old thermostats and other thermostats, we may find a matrix showing which functions the thermostat carries out vs the config settings for that thermostat. We may come up with an example matrix to send to Wyze and ask them to create one of their own. We would like a matrix that shows how the thermostat needs to be configured for requirements of a specific furnace/AC setup. Then we can know which menu options to pick and we may even find out there is an advantage to jumpering certain terminals.

2 Likes

Pretty much all traditional thermostats have a selector switch for Fossil or Electric fuel source somewhere. When it is in electric mode, it runs G and W during heat. When it is in fossil mode, it runs W only. For some reason wyze buggered this up and have it running W and G during both Gas and Electric, but not “Other”

It would be really awesome if wyze could create an advanced mode that allows me to tell it what I want it to do in various stages. Ex: Heating stage 1: run W1. Heating stage 2: Run W1, delay 10 seconds, Then run both W1 and W2. My furnace will take care of its own fan, it’s a high efficiency Gas model with an ECM blower that ramps up and down with the burner.

Brilliant !!! that seemed to have worked! Thank you…

@speadie Thanks for the explanation. It makes all of this more clear.

Like speadie points out, Wyze needs to add advanced options to override and adjust all default settings. It should have options to set all differentials, deadbands and timing delays. Less important, but a cool function that other companies have, would be an auto function that figures out it’s own optimal deadband, based upon 2-4 cycles per hour.
Personally, I would like to be able to set my thermostat to run the heat in Stage 2 in the morning to overcome the setback, then to transition to Stage 1 when the temperature reaches with two degrees to the setpoint. So I would set the differential between Stage 1 and 2 to two degrees, but I would need to also setup a time delay when Stage 2 first kicks in, since on my furnace (Trane/American Standard) if W1 & W2 are activated at the same time, the furnace goes into an automatic 10 minute countdown before Stage 2 is invoked.
My point is that Wyze could stand apart from the rest pf the industry by making their product fully configurable. That would be my wish!

2 Likes

Looks like the latest software update included a fix for this. I have not tested, and will not have the time in the short term. Please post if you can test and show the results.
Thanks