Tasteless Facebook Ad

Humor involves so many subjective issues it almost always fails to hit the mark as intended. The more something appeals to the baser parts of the human psyche the more likely it will anger/please an audience. The trick is to have your desired audience agree with your desired interpretation. Nothing in the ad falls into the truly awful or morally reprehensible areas.

In the end the market will determine if the ad was overall a good thing or not for Wyze. But it is educational to see the interplay in threads like this. People tend to get upset and respond in that vein as opposed to what was actually said. That fact is humorous in a whole different manner. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I learned everything I needed to know from this thread. I don’t care one way or another if this stays opened or closed.

South Park is famous for its scatological humor. It is also famous for “taking no prisoners” (taking all topics to illogical extremes.)

• I am a fan of South Park and this video only offends me by its lameness.
  • I am not a fan of South Park and this video only offends me by its lameness.
  • South Park is lame. Stay on Facebook, Grandpa.
  • I love this video!
  • I hate this video!
  • Meh.

0 voters

1 Like

By the way here is an example of an advertising failure playing out in real time right now. I predict this will actually end in criminal charges.

Again, not looking to pick a fight, but what the Vice article says about fake tweets or real tweets from Google … really aren’t from Google. The series of “fake” twitter ads were put up by a group called “@bydonkey.”

You can see their @bydonkey signature on the Vice billboard picture, lower right hand quarter. It was a fake ad, produces and distributed by @bydonkey.

Here is a link to the @bydonkey twitter group … the @bydonkey group is infamous for this kind of antics, particularly when it comes to Brexit.

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

The cited twitter tweet about “Do you remember your first tweet. We do.” was announcing to users the ability to download their Twitter archives of past comments. The “We do” tweet wasn’t some massive invasion of users privacy. Users only have access to their own archives.

There was no Google ad compaign. Google is one of several owners of Twitter (albeit one of the majority owners). The Twitter tweet was announcing their new service, allowing users to download an archive of their individual tweets … and only their own tweets.

Here’s Twitter’s announcement announcing the “first tweet” service:
Your Twitter archive

But let’s get back on track about WYZE …

I was referring to their advertisement saying they remember your first tweet not the false ads. Where the charges come in is in Europe that would be illegal. Under GDPR and other European laws.

1 Like

And the Vice article by the way is a great example of how advertising can backfire, which is and was the point I am making. Certainly it was not Twitters intention to advertise an illegal act. I rather doubt they would do that. But it is being perceived as an illegal act. And as we all know perceptions are important.

I have a lot of friends and family in various parts of Europe. Their perception is this was a very horrible thing to do, and according to what they are seeing in European media is calls for an investigation into possible GDPR violations and violations of the “right to be forgotten” laws.

The editor of the Guardian was JOKING about the Twitter tweet (do you remember your first tweet, we do!) being illegal … because he said he deletely his first tweet! Obviously it can’t be against the law to allow Twitter users access to their own tweets! Now, if like Alex Hern said, if he had deleted his first tweet … and Twitter somehow revealed it … he said (jokingly) that it would be a violation of GDPR!

" Alex Hern, tech editor at the Guardian , jokingly pointed out that this tweet may be a violation of Europe’s much talked about GDPR, [a ground-breaking privacy and security law that] has already changed how a lot of companies operate on the internet and allows European users to request the data that companies have collected on them."

FYI Twitter is in full compliance with GDPR laws, now that it allows users access to their data … including their first tweet! The investigation is on an entirely different matter, involving Google and Facebook. It has nothing to do with a Twitter advertisement … it has to do with users having to agree to being exposed to targeted online ads as part of the terms of the user agreement! There also is a constant stream of alleged complaints from individuals about how users data is collected, against most EU companies, some warranted, some not so warranted.

But please. Let’s get back to all matters WYZE.

Good grief!

I think it is time to close the thread @UserCustomerGwen as I think it has gotten about as long in the tooth as it can without devolving to ad hominem posts at this point.

2 Likes

Add the appetite for specificity that data sinks have developed and your activity may not only be remembered to infinity but you’ll be pinned-like-a-butterfly neurobeviorally (please, someone hold me, that term is creepy) to boot.

Wyze (or at least the individual camera) remembers the first time I tried to insert an SD card. Turns out I had it backwards when I energetically forced it in. :grinning:

TL;DR comes into play, too, after a PR fail. I read recently that disinformation artists are aware that folks “inform” themselves by scanning headlines - seldom delving deeper - then speak “informedly” (if briefly) about events. The art of headline writing (& tweeting) has never been more crucial for narrative control, apparently.

T

This is sadly true way too often. Or as so often happens people focus only on a part of the article that “feels” correct to them and ignore the balance of what was written.

1 Like

I agree … the facts speak for themselves … yet urban myths are still being circulated as truth without doing due diligience.

But to get this back on track … it’s obvious that some of us like the WYZE ad and some of us don’t.

I agree with rBruce. This thread has run its course.

@SPC gave permission, and other are asking for it. Closing this thread. :slight_smile:

8 Likes