Tasteless Facebook Ad

Well I certainly consider myself an animal lover. I have had dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, goats, etc all my life. Personally I did not like the commercial at all. So your assertion that all animal lovers would like it is false.

That said I am certain some do, I imagine some found it very humorous. Great, that’s their right and their taste. It’s not mine, and my opinion is not any less valid (or more) than theirs or yours.

You may not agree with my opinion, as I don’t agree with yours but it is both of our rights to hold our opinions. For you to say my opinion is somehow less valuable than yours is typical but that does not make it correct.

2 Likes

We’re clearly in the wrong here and we should be towing the company line - Wyze can do no wrong. ALL HAIL WYZE!

I’m sorry … but I never said your opinion was less valuable in any of my posts. Please point out to me where you think I said that so I can correct the misunderstanding. I was merely responding with a different opinion than yours and the OP.

But standards, too, are in the eyes of the beholder, … as is the perceived lack of them. Think of the content of today’s primetime tv versus the I Love Lucy era.

Again, I’m not picking a fight … but WYZE could probably put that ad in the Super Bowl commercial line-up … and think about the buzz it would create! Again, the purpose of any commercial is to get people talking … which this ad has done.

“Did you see that commercial?” “No, what commercial?” “The one where the dog did this gross thing.” “I gotta see that.” “Hey, I thought it was funny.” “Well, I didn’t!” “But did you see that camera only costs $20 !!!” “Yeah, I ordered three of them!”
QED

2 Likes

The over all tone of your reply was condescending. My saying “fools and idiots” in my reply was an allusion to the fact that anyone has a right to their opinion, it was not meant as a direct comment on that commercial.

Now as to your point of commercials being to get people talking I think you are partially correct. Most companies advertise to entice you into buying something not just talk about it.

GM learned that the hard way by inadvertently providing the most talked about ad in Mexico and South/Central America in decades. It caused a huge loss of sales but it was certainly talked about. Turns out ‘Nova’ essentially means “no go” or something equivalent in Spanish. So their commercials for their (at the time) best selling car caused it to become the worst selling car in Spanish markets.

You also asserted that you felt the majority of people would find the commercial enjoyable etc. That is possible, I have no idea. All the folks I have shown it to so far have had at best ambivalent reactions while most have just said something to the effect of “whose kid filmed that”.

So if it is Wyze’s intention to sell products with that ad let’s hope for their sake that the majority of the camera buying demographic agrees with you. :wink:

1 Like

Glad I don’t use face book and didn’t see the video. People need to get out more. :beach_umbrella:

3 Likes

Sorry if you thought my reply was “condescending” or meant to cast dispersions on anyone or their opinion.

1 Like

The Wyze customer base spans generations. Multiple online platforms (loosely firewalled) and micro-targeting allow Wyze to be “all things to all people” to a great some extent.

There are some customers who were weened on South Park. And others who haven’t (and wouldn’t) watch a single episode.

Grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren. If I was something still in the womb I might be peeking out warily. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • As an advertiser, don’t film the anus - because standards, decency.
  • As a public official, don’t curse publicly - because decorum, dignity.

Does it matter? I think it does. It coarsens the culture without the responsibility to enrich it.

Do the hard thing, enrich it as well - that would be artful. And everything, including advertising, should aspire to that level of art. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jerry Seinfeld was talking to Norm MacDonald about working clean. They preferred it because it was harder.

South Park creators said they stopped goofing on the President because everyone was doing it - it was too easy.

I guess laws would be formalized standards (enhanced by the threat of punishment for infraction.)

A healthy people doesn’t need too many of these. They sense the value of standards and comply voluntarily. And they welcome the “shock of the new” in healthy proportion.

https://forums.wyze.com/t/poll-stability-and-innovation-the-proper-balance/55610

By the way, it was correctly pointed out to me that my example of the Chevy Nova was incorrect. The underlying point I was making or trying to make remains valid.

Here are some better, more recent examples of the point I was trying to make.

2 Likes

If the tasteless add in question doesn’t violate Wyze’s own community forum guidelines, could someone post a link to the video? I’d really like the opportunity to get offended my self :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The vid is in this thread , post 24 :expressionless:

This is a screenshot from the “opening” scene of Wyze’s classy video.

Personally, I consider 95% of all ads to be tasteless in some way. They are an assault on our senses to try and get our attention. On Facebook, I would have just hidden this ad by habit and then said “No longer show me any ads by Wyze.” Not because I dislike Wyze or their ads. It is just what I do with every Ad that Facebook shows me. None of them are worthwhile.

4 Likes

Interesting. It seems like a pretty good, self-regulating conversation among adults. I know there are potentially “I take offense” flags invisible to us until some threshold is crossed, so I guess that’s what you mean. It was fun and productive while it lasted.

1 Like

I feel that Wyze has every right to post what ever at they think will sell there products. I have ever right to no longer buy their products.

1 Like

If advertising were easy everyone would be doing… er, ah well I mean, ah, oh heck!

Just popping by to say that I’ve been sharing information about this conversation with the marketing team. And while this thread has gotten pretty close to going off the rails and a couple of posts were edited, people have generally been able to keep to the spirit of conversating while disagreeing.

At this point I won’t close this topic unless @SPC wants me to but we are keeping an eye on it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know who thought of this lmao. It’s actually kinda funny imo

1 Like