Smart Door Lock

If this ever happens, I hope the design is slim. The August locks look awful, in my opinion. SimpliSafe just came out with a smart lock that has a really nice design although the “nickel” option is a bit weird in that it has sort of a white frame around it. But yeah, if it ever happens, I think that SimpliSafe lock would be a great starting point for hardware design inspiration. :slight_smile:

As for features, there are two things that are important: It needs to be able to recognize when the door is open, so that it doesn’t inadvertantly engage the lock into thin air and end up causing damage to the frame when you close the door. The other thing that’s super important is that the lock should be smart enough to realize when it CAN’T successfully lock itself and give an audible error beep in addition to a warning notification. That’s important because doors settle over time, so if everything isn’t perfectly aligned, a smart lock may fail to lock itself. It’s important that the user is aware of this problem as soon as it starts, so that they don’t inadvertantly walk away from the house, thinking everything is locked when it isn’t.

1 Like

I think Wyze’s Smart lock could actually fill quite a void in the market. Have you looked at the price of a good smart lock? They don’t even have anything as fancy as mentioned in this thread, like one person’s suggestion of perhaps making the locking or unlocking dependent on such things such as your location, or facial recognition… I’ve found that a good Cam & deadbolt combo runs nearly $250-$300 on amazon. They are all lacking in features at this price point in my opinion. I believe if Wyze can reinvent the webcam, they can sure as hell reinvent the smart-lock!

My only ask is that you include even simple features of other “smart locks” that do not have app accessibility- like the ability to auto lock after a number of seconds. I simply want to take my dog out for a walk and or come in with full hands of groceries and it lock behind me. There would of course have to be a means of re-entry, but a keypad would be simple! Going for a run or walking a dog without keys is such a necessary life improvement. (No need for facial recognition just yet) I’m holding out for a Wyze Smart lock, and I’ll be your first beta tester!!! I’ve literally returned 3 in the past year, and you’re doing great in the cam department. I have no doubts that the smart lock will be cheaper, smarter, and better built.

Please provide some updates on timeline, because some of us are wondering if we really should be waiting…

2 Likes

Would people really want to scrimp on a door lock? And buy it from a company that says their products are not intended for security?

Scrimp? Never did I say scrimp! It looks like if you undercut the price by 25 or 50 dollars, you’d hardly be scrimping, but I assume money is a relative thing. I guess when you compare 300 to 40 or 50, yes, that would be scrimping, but amazon basics sell a simple smart lock for $49, (not app integration) and it’s flying off the shelves.

Their not wanting to say their cameras are for security would go out the window when you’re talking about security products.

1 Like

MOD NOTE: The status of this topic has been updated to “in development” and moved to the #roadmap.

4 Likes

@jonbrunkhorst,

Door locks could be the next offering in the Wyze Premium series along with this thing…

Stand alone router + DVR + sensor hub

SpicoliTotallyAwesome

2 Likes

I am constantly reading that Wyze devices are not security devices.

How does this lock fall outside of a security device? Maybe they are intended for indoor use only?

To the best of my knowledge, it’s purely semantics.
In order to be classified by some organizations, a company has to offer surveillance (cameras), storage, monitoring, and ability to call emergency services if an alarm is triggered. Some require surveillance, storage, and ability to call emergency services. Other “certification” organizations have different rules.
It seems silly to me…with WYZE I have cameras that alert me when they detect motion, I can view the camera any time I want on my phone or tablet, there is off-site storage of motion-triggered video…but since (I assume) WYZE doesn’t want to go through all the red tape and hoop jumping required by some to get certified as a “home security system” they don’t use that terminology.

2 Likes

The latching portion of the lock could be redesigned in order to accomodate frame shifts like you describe

In the majority of failing door latches, it’s usually that the door has shifted downwards from the hinges pulling loose. That in itself is easy to design for by making the strike plate have a much taller hole than standard and require that the installation make use of the upper portion

The strike bolt can have a spring-loaded locating pin in it’s center, which would not be affected by any side loading, which would be pressed inwards only when the bolt is all the way inside the strike plate. This pin would then activate a hall effect sensor to let the microprocessor know that the door is really latched all the way

A simpler idea is to have the bolt position monitored by hall effect sensors, and if the motor drive runs 2 seconds without getting the fully-extended feedback signal, then the lock can go into a fail to lock alarm mode

1 Like

In other words, my attorney friends would call it CYA.

1 Like

I’m thinking Wyze may have read your post as a challenge. I kid. :blush:

This is actually brilliant. I might want one for the interim until wyze’s new lock is developed! The Wyze forum is incredible in that it’s chock full of elegantly spoken individuals with accelerated thought processes. So, much better reading than other forums. Can I buy one of these from you?,

1 Like

Well funny you say that. I have a few working prototypes but am still refining the design. I am working on getting it patented as well and would like to work out some sort of deal with Wyze to at least offer them on their site as an additional accessory. I haven’t gotten much of a reaction from them as of yet but I also haven’t shown my design and won’t until my patent is completed. Hopefully in within the month I will be able to show the design.

2 Likes

Or are you just talking about the recessed brackets? Because you can just order them off Thingiverse if you want them. Or you can download the file and print them yourself if you have or know someone with a 3D printer. There are probably some in your city you can use. I know my local library has some for use. You can even tip me on thingiverse if you feel like doing so but it is really simple so I don’t expect it :smiley:. But I am really excited for my lock design.

1 Like

A lot of these companies have started off smaller and branched out into full-fledged security. Blink had plans to do this before Amazon bought them, although pretty much everything got scrapped at Blink after Amazon product. (Like every single expansion product.)

There’s nothing about the camera hardware itself, for example, that prevents it from being used for “security” purposes, but to offer a fully-featured “security system,” it would require additional services and hardware. You’d probably want a keypad so that you can arm and disarm it physically. You’d probably want some kind of central hub that can connect to sensors, store things while the internet is down, and communicate at least locally. Ideally it could have an LTE and battery backup failsafe option, too. They’d probably want to make some battery backups available for cameras as well, so that they could run for an hour or so without electricity. They’d also want to make their app more robust in terms of “armed” and “disarmed” modes, etc. From a services standpoint, you’re talking about monitoring.

Wyze doesn’t currently offer any of this, but nothing would prevent them from expanding their product line and accessories. And, in fact, there are companies which literally use identical hardware that ARE security companies.

Most of that is actually possible to do on your own already. (Well, aside from third-party monitoring) You could get a router with LTE failover. You could get USP for your router. You could buy external batteries with pass-through charging for each camera. But there isn’t really a product ecosystem set up for that at Wyze (Yet?)

Anyway, needless to say – a lock is certainly intended to secure your home. But even a lock isn’t a “security system.” And it’s not like you can sue Kwikset if someone drills out your lock and breaks into your house. Your deadbolt isn’t a bank vault.

1 Like

Maybe. I agree it’s semantics. I don’t think there’s necessarily something like a “security company licensing agency.” (As far as I know.) But a lot of the monitored security system companies will offer guarantees. For example, in the event of a loss due to a failure of the system, they might pay your insurance deductible. Obviously, the more DIY the installation is, the more prone to human error it is, so any kind of guarantee like that would have to be heavily asterisked. Even with the big security companies, it is.

But my take is that since Wyze products are entirely DIY, and since they don’t offer any kind of guarantees beyond the value of the products themselves, Wyze products are therefore “not for security purposes.” But they could certainly decide to change that any time they wanted to expand their products and services.

1 Like

That’s awesome! It’s pretty exciting to see a topic change to “in-development!”

As the proud owner of the first Wyze Smart-ish Lock, I’d like to hereby volunteer for hardware testing whenever that opportunity may arise. I’ve already filled out the tester form. (Who do I need to butter up? @WyzeGwendolyn?)

I mentioned the hardware design earlier in the thread, before it was “in-development,” but I figured I’d post a photo of the SimpliSafe lock I was talking about, since most people probably won’t bother to Google it themselves. It’s definitely the best-looking smart lock I’ve seen so far. The August locks are so huge and thick. They look like some huge weird appendage hanging off your door. The SimpliSafe one is legitimately slimmer, but it also uses smart visual tricks to give the appearance of slimness. (The thick portion at the top has a thin border so that it visually suggests slimness, even though it’s not super slim) Anyway, here’s a photo of that lock. I really hope the Wyze lock goes a similar route.

3 Likes

I was trying to be generic and not mention names, but companies like Underwriters Laboratories definitely have a set of criteria that must be met for something to be labeled by them as a security system.
https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_681_15
There is also a set of criteria they have for a company to “earn” the label of “security system installer.”

Any company that doesn’t want to jump through all those hoops is probably better of…legally…not using the term “security system” even if it’s clearly a system designed to make your home more secure.

Oh, for sure. Third-party certifications or whatever. I just meant that I don’t think there’s a legal definition or a government certification process. In other words, I don’t think it’s illegal to call something “home security” without getting any certifications – Though it’s probably not very smart, even just from a marketing/customer expectation standpoint. Which is exactly why Wyze doesn’t call themselves that.

As much as I enjoy bribery and being buttered up, it’s not actually very effective with me. You’ll just earn my friendship without actually getting Wyze perks out of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes