Robot Vacuum Software Dissapointment

OP here. I have my vaccum and I have tested it for 2 days now, about 4 runs. Out of the original list I can say I have issues with the room mapping its a total mess, initialy it looked good but after running it more times it got increasingly worse. Cleaning by selecting a room doesnt work at all. I let the robot run to clean the whole house, it did one room and edged around the rest of the floor and then returned. Another time I chose one room it vacuumed one I didn’t choose and then returned. I am using the beta so it has room splitting, the room division and virtual walls seem to be working, but the robot doesn’t understand how to operate within them. With the inital connection I didn’t have any issues, but its luck since I have a dual band router with no option to sperate the network. In terms of the resuming of cleaning it straight up just didn’t do it. It randomly stopped around 60% to charge and then it never returned.

I had no such problem after installing the recent update in firmware.

I have to say that basically everything listed in the original post I have had issues with in at least some level. After the recent update it has gotten even worse. Also in response to one of the earlier posts in this thread I never post in forums and this will be my first. Usually I go through tech support and just wait and hope for a fix or move on. In this case I have attempted to contact tech support multiple times and send several logs but have received no response. I have numerous Wyze products and most have some minor issues but are usable. I was looking forward to the vacuum and thermostat for a while. However, I spend more time babysitting the vacuum than I would just getting out the old vacuum and doing it myself. At this point it seems it was not tested at all before being sent out. I have not even attempted to connect my Wyze thermostat yet as I’m afraid it may have not been completely tested first before being sold and sent out. The last thing I want is to be without heat in the middle of winter in the middle of the night. And yes, like the originator of this thread I have read the forums before using the thermostat and am basing my decision to wait for warmer weather on some of the issues others are having.

The vacuum seemed to start out well but the biggest issues I’m having is it mapping and cleaning incorrectly. It sometimes just stops cleaning for no reason. Redraws a room crooked in the middle of a cleaning. Gets lost after redrawing the room. Gets stuck on thresholds and throw rugs. I have tried to work around some issues like the thresholds. I removed one and planed it down to half its height. At first this seemed to work but now it’s getting stuck again. What is worse is that after the update it just stops cleaning here like there is a door. The other threshold is nearly twice the height. I placed a throw rug here to help it get traction to get over. Again at first this worked but now it frequently tries to pick up the rug, gets wrapped up and stuck.

The mapping just seems to randomly draw the rooms in the wrong direction but tries to clean these crooked rooms in the same direction it was originally tracking, resulting in most of the room being ignored. Then it tries to return to the dock…crooked…and moves the dock.

1 Like

Hi There;

I am AMAZED (sorry to shout!) to see all these issues. I have had 1 glitch (really, 1!) since having the vac for several weeks. I have upgraded the app and the vac firmware several times and it has all gone to plan - small exception being a skewed map once, and the map disappearing when the app was updated. The latter was not an issue to me since it now enabled mapping only and division/merging of rooms (woo-hoo!!). We could not be happier!!! Our little vac servant has obliged with each whole house or partial clean with due respect for virtual walls and new divisions etc. I can only suggest everyone with issues delete the app and reinstall from scratch - and then make sure the vac is updated etc. we all have the same hardware I imagine, or if that is a real issue, Wyze certainly has some problems, but for us all good!

I sincerely hope it all gets sorted (and that they allow me to vet future “manuals” - this one really sucked!!!).

Cheers all, Rodney.

Rodney - my experience has been the same really loving our Mr Belvadere! it has worked flawless even when the backend AWS went down it still did the main floor mapping as expected. I agree and hope everyone else with issues gets them sorted and updates us they are in the same boat and loving it. I just ask everyone to give it some growth and feed back as positive as you can so they dev team can work on issues that you might have.

Wyze has become my cost effective Tech go to for some time and i have encouraged many others to use them as well.

I wish I had a mapping issue. Mine won’t connect to the app. Looks like it will be returned.

Well…tech support eventually responded to my first email. It was suggested I do a factory reset, delete it from the app and then add it again. I did all of this. It started out working fine. It still had trouble at thresholds but eventually cleared them. Everything was going good until about 2/3 of the way when it decided to quit for no reason and did not vacuum the center of a room. I decided to give it a break for the night and try again the next day. About half way through the cleaning the next day it got completely lost and nothing was showing on the map. It made it back to the charger but could not properly dock so I helped it. When I went through the app to see what it was doing it eventually said it was disconnected from the internet. I cannot get it to reconnect. I tried everything I could think of. Deleted app and reinstalled, reset the device, tried to reconnect WiFi by holding both buttons, power cycled the phone, power cycled my internet,etc. I cannot even delete the device from my app. I keep getting an error message saying “operation failed”. I tried to add the device again but get another error message about binding. I’m assuming this is because I cannot delete it.

I really want this thing to work. I was ecstatic when I got the device, but things are just getting worse. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to delete it? I’m thinking if I could delete it and add it I might be able to at least get it to do something.

My robot has been doing just what I wanted it to do every morning this week: dash over to the laundry room, where the cat’s litter box is located, vacuum up the mess the cat makes when he digs in the box, and return home. I thought the software updates I’d received over the past few weeks had me in vacuuming nirvana. So this morning, I kicked of a whole-house cleaning. It performed perfectly. At first. After cleaning the dining room and entry, it headed to the piano room. Part way through the piano room, it took off for the rest of the house. Unfortunately, in its “mind”, it did so by going through an outside wall and “ghosting” the rest of the house where it does not exist. It basically traversed the perimeter of the rest of the “real” house, but in its virtual mind, and eventually ended up in the piano room again. But since it came back in through the outside wall (in its mind), when it actually came in from the family room, it got stuck under a bookshelf that has a virtual wall around it. Because it thought it was on the other side of the room, it didn’t think it had a virtual wall. It got stuck and shut off. I pulled it out enough to get unstuck, and told it to stop and go back to the dock. It tried and tried to find the dock, but since it had gotten turned around, it couldn’t. I ended up picking it up and putting it on the dock. I don’t know what to think at this point. I think my only alternative is to reset my map and start all over again. Sigh…

2 Likes

It may be too late for this recommendation but if not try to delete the cleaning record. The map my still look off but then once you start the next clean the map should revert to the previous/original mapping.

I have only done this once, but it was after I noticed the vacuum was lost, cleaning in the same path around the coffee table for the third time, and saw that for my instance my map was rotated 35-45 degrees. So not sure if this is a designed fox or if I lucked out since the cleaning was only for about 6 min before I aborted and tried again.

Mine won’t connect. It came with zero documentation. I’ve spent hours trying to connect through IOS and Android, resetting the router, etc. Had an hour call with support and no luck. Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying blinking white lights?

Mine has been doing this too. As you see it’s duplicates the map rotated then gets lost. For me it was always happening in the same spot on its outer sweep of the room. It happens by my TV there is a lot of electronics there and a power strip. I think it’s emf’s scrambling the map. I keep it from going there now with a virtual wall and that seemed to help

I had this same exact ghost map issue after it ran perfectly two times. I’m on the beta and I tried doing the room division but it caused more problems (mainly the robot would stick inside certain room zones) so I just merged the maps. This would be the second time in 5 days I will have to reset the map. Just hoping they fix the stuff soon. Very interesting that all the people who were telling me to shut my mouth until the robot comes have nothing to say.

Lucky you, I have to reset my map everytime before I run it or it ends up redrawing the map in a slightly rotated orientation over the top of the current map-rendering all of the virtual walls useless.

Hi NorrisNT, I’m still following and trying to see where I can help out. The difference is now you are rasing valid conserns, and sharing your experience, which helps the community. I have yet to have an issue where I had to reset the map (only did it 1 time when I decided to do a full clean map because I know currently the robot can’t discover new rooms and on my initial mapping I had one bathroom missing). I can’t yet come up with a theory for what some people here are experiencing. If we can identify the different usecase that you are running into and I’m not and we can tell Wyze that this usecase doesn’t work that would really help the community and get things resolved faster. I am curious though, after having the vacuum for a few weeks what are your thoughts? Is it as bad as the picture you got from thee forums before receiving it? Or is it just a new product with some bugs? Are you seeing any progress?

That’s very bizarre wilfcorner… Is there something peculiar about the room with the charging station? Is the station moving slightly every time? Is there a lot of furniture that can move a bit confusing the robot making it think it turned a little? Maybe there are a bunch of mirrors that can move and give the robot a different reading every time?

None of those situations apply. It’s on a wall with almost 4 feet of clearance on each side and about 12 feet of clearance in front. Docking station might move a half an inch sometimes when it docks, just from being pushed around by the vacuum. It’s in a living room so there’s just the sectional sofa, ottoman, and various bookcases/shelves-nothing that ever moves.

The kicker is, even when I delete the map, I sometimes have to stop cleaning and restart it 4 or 5 times until it’ll actually orient the map in a straight line. See attached screenshots, these were all within 5 minutes elapsed time after deleting and restarting to try and get it to straighten out the map. 4th screenshot is of just how far off it is if I don’t reset the map before every cleaning. The right side of the map is the real house (with the virtual walls blocking off the sectional). It then proceeds to get itself stuck under the sectional because it doesn’t have a clue where it is.

Screenshot_20210122-001216~2

Interesting.

I do have my map slightly tilted but only a couple of degrees so i didn’t bother as it doesn’t affect the cleaning lines (sometimes one just finishes middle of the wall, but thats just visual, it still cleans all the areas with about the same efficiency).

In your case, is there any reason you think the first 2 maps you shared would be bad? they seem to be <5deg off and also don’t think would be a problem with the cleaning quality.

The third image is definitely way off. looks like it might be getting confused by that small corner that is cut off on the right side of that image. Either way i think wyze needs to improve their alignment algorithm, and probably allow us to rotate maps, and am sure that’ll come.

As for the getting stuck and redrawing the map after, that looks like the sectional has just the perfect height for it to do that. have you tried the quick map feature (where it wouldn’t trace the wall first, but travel via the middle of the room to draw the full map? you should then be able to add virtual walls where the sectional is so it doesn’t driver under it? Or were your trying to have it clean under there? it just seems like it’s a hair too low. Maybe if you want this to work later you can look into adding a couple of leg pads to the sectional so that it is raised by maybe a quarter inch. Don’t know exactly how much clearance is needed, but i think you are just under that.

the software wont split a room. period. the virtual walls work and then suddenly become narrow and as tall as my house. no way to fix it myself. Its a software thing. I’ve tried it with the same results on 3 floorplans, so anyone seeing different is either not being honest, not understanding what split a room means, or they have a beta firmware I’m not privy to.

The virtual walls in the 4th image are blocking the sectional. The problem is that when the robot starts drawing over the top of the existing map with some sort of funky weird layout, it then doesn’t recognize where it actually is on the floorplan and drives under it anyway. The couch has just enough clearance to get under, but the cross beams are just low enough that it can wedge itself in-which is why it’s blocked. Additionally, if you noticed, the vacuum drew the room orientation in 3 different manners, and the 4th one where it actually got it right is in a different rientation as well.

As the map draws further down, the rotation is exacerbated. So in order to use the rectangle virtual walls I have to draw 3 or 4 slivers to block off one area, so that they don’t overlap on the areas I actually want cleaned. This could easily be fixed by simply allowing the virtual walls to be rotated. The compounding reason those maps were discarded were because the vacuum was travelling outside the walls it already drew during that cleaning/mapping session, it just didn’t draw the lines yet to show where it had been.

This is the 3rd location of the vacuum that I’ve tried. All 3 locations do the same thing; it’s definitely not an issue of placement and is appears to be 100% in the brains of the vacuum.

I use a Pixel 5, and don’t see the quick map function available yet for Android Users.

I’ll add, I had the vacuum for 8 days and it ran flawlessly every night on the first map it drew, then one day it just stopped functioning properly and that’s where I’m at now.