Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

Thanks for the idea. I did set up DHCP reservations for each camera when I set it up.

I am confirming that the camera has the expected IP address. But the RTSP feed won’t load - so I open the Wyze app, look at the advanced settings for the camera and see that RTSP is “off” when it formerly was “on”

I have a very stable and strong WiFi environment (TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh) so that my cameras should be stable. We also have a 400Mbps down/20Mbps up internet connection at the location.

FWIW - I am also seeing that sometimes when I tell the Wyze app to generate the RTSP link it fails to do so. Even if I wait patiently for the app to finish loading before clicking on fields or a button.

Not sure if it is still a problem, but sometimes the MAC changes on the cameras. Wyze uses software to overwrite the physical MAC on the camera, which sometimes doesn’t complete and you get a new MAC registered with DHCP.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I have not had that happen here (yet)

That is really interesting. I will need to take a look at installing that on one of my V2s and see how I like it.

The lease reservation resolved the problem for me. However, I did have to ask AT&T to swap out their gateway as the “second page” of devices could not have an IP reserved for them. This was a known issue on their forum and the customer service person with whom I chatted confirmed it and immediately sent out a different model which does not have the problem.

As well, I believe (but can’t point to a specific piece of code) the latest firmware update for the V2 camera resolved a separate “periodically disappear from the network” issue. I had semi-resolved that (prior to the firmware update) by connecting the cam to power through a timer which powered off for an hour each day.

Actually the Decos have developed a reputation of not working all that well with Wyze cameras.

https://forums.wyze.com/search?context=topic&context_id=6694&q=deco&skip_context=true

That is disappointing to hear.

Overall my experience with the Deco system has been excellent with a variety of client hardware. Might it also be reasonable to say that the Wyze cameras have a bit of a reputation for not working well with TP Link? :slight_smile:

My Wyze Cams have been ok, but not amazing for data feeds through the cloud services.

Perhaps my TP Link equipment is an issue, but I’m disinclined to replace the 6 node mesh system which supports ethernet backhaul for gigabit connections to support the inexpensive cameras - particularly when every other iot and network device seems to be reliable for me.

I’m also not excited about building a separate wifi network just for cameras.

I set up one camera yesterday with dafang.

I have encountered issues that were AgentDVR related, so I’m looking at other solutions for monitoring the feed. That’s sad, too because I really liked the promise of that “one stop shop” for camera feeds.

1 Like

Certainly. I find their signal weak in general. One of mine (the one Wyze’s forced update just killed in fact) couldn’t get a decent connection until I raised the access point up 3 feet - it’s only 20 feet away through one exterior wall (regular wood construction).

It’s why I want to move towards wired cameras.

I use an EAP245, which is TP_Link and have no issue, nothing more than anyone has with these units which have somewhat poor signal.

The issue with the different IPs (different MACs) is documented somewhere in these forums. I recall reading a reply that this is common with IOT devices, however I’ve never experienced this with any hardware device of any other kind beside Wyze camera(s).

1 Like

I’m running four wyze v3’s on rtsp firmware 4.61.0.1, and a ubiquiti system (dream machine, three nano’s). It is pretty rare that at least one camera doesn’t go offline each day. The problem seems to be that each camera is sending 16-20GB of data (I’m recording with Luxriot). I reduced the quality to SD and that seems to improve the situation, but it would be super helpful to leave the quality at HD and send 5 frames per second, rather than 20. Even 1 frame per second would be fine with me – not that much happens in a second. This is settable in rtsp, but not in the wyze implementation of it. I suspect that reducing the data usage would solve 90% of people’s problems. (The other 10% involve the difficulty in formatting a modern micro SD in FAT.)

1 Like

Interesting. Does scheduling daily reboots help at all?

The voluntary $$ contribution for online recording is problematic for me as I have no interest in those services but I -do- have interest in the RTSP functionality. If there are any Wyze employees monitoring this thread, I would respectfully suggest there be a specifically defined RTSP voluntary contribution fund so Wyze owners who are using Wyze’s RTSP implementations (for v2/v3 cams) may contribute and -know- their $$ is targeted to RTSP development rather than some features most RTSP users find useless.

I want to support Wyze beyond just buying their cams (cheap$ but decent) but contributing $$ to funding features I’ll never use is a non-starter.

1 Like

I do my RTSP viewing from Home Assistant for all of my cameras. (but no continuous video capture outside of the Wyze ecosystem)

plus

For Wyze: Continuous Recording to SD card. Wyze event capture (12 seconds) as provided by the Wyze cloud. For TimeLapse images (grass growing etc.) I use ffmpeg to grab periodic images (9AM to 4PM every 15 minutes, every day).

With approximately 250KB/frame (HD), once a second would yield about 900MB/hour (and 3600 files to deal with) ugh… would a lower frame rate work for you?

For Amcrest:
Same “every 15 miuntes frame capture”
Plus, 16 second 5MP video capture for EVERY motion event on my Home Assistant server. (videos get deleted after 2 weeks)

Not sure if that’s helpful… (It does what I need at a low cost point)

Addendum. One of the cameras continued to act up, disconnecting for hours at a time. Recording on camera worked fine and Ubiquiti said that the camera was never disconnected, but no data flow. I wiped the SD card and reinstalled the same firmware. It has been approximately perfect for four days, with Blueiris (I gave up on Luxriot and bought Blueiris, and am glad I did) not seeing disconnections. So I’m wondering if installation can sometimes be corrupted.

Was this a re-install of the latest firmware? The latest firmware resolved what was the same issue with my v2 cams.

Does anyone know how you are now supposed to download the RTSP firmware? When I try to access it I get a login page and can’t seem to get past it.

After it forced me to create a new account and login I got this for this URL:

It looks like they took it down. Probably due to the vulnerability that they fixed in the latest regular firmware but it was still present in the beta. More info here: I’m done with Wyze - The Verge
Hint: look for the Google cached version of the URL.

It would be a nice fix to have, but even if it was available I’m in no rush to take down my v3s to flash a new firmware update on to the SD card and then do the “press-setup/power-on reboot dance”.
I’m as confident in my network security as I am in all my RTSP (non-Wyze) cameras. :wink: actually I’m sure the network is more resilient than the cameras from a security point of view.

I got the same issue. I opened a ticket, but they didn’t answer, they (Theresa) just closed the ticket, so I don’t know what is going on, other than what c5h posted that maybe they took it down for a vulnerability. The odd thing is, why would you redesign the site and require a login, a different login, just to cover a vulnerability.

Luckily, I still have a copy of it so I could flash the ones I just got.

1 Like

Interesting about the RTSP firmware removal. Also interesting, TinyCamPro can no longer load up the cameras via “cloud” protocol, I am getting this “value of type java.lang.String cannot be converted to JSONObject” error on ALL wyze cameras. Also app is very slow to load on Android, on iPhone it has logged out and won’t log back in…

Is Wyze getting hacked, what’s going on??

1 Like