Person Detection stopped working today

I did a reflash of firmware on the advise of support and hope that will solve my issues. I have two cams and one has no issues and works good but the other keeps losing connection and makes repeated clicking sounds when it happens. I personally feel the one cam is defective but I will hope for the best.

Uh oh. I have two more Cams arriving today. I hope they are healthy little critters. Good luck with yours.

After going through a complete factory reset, as described in my previous post, Person Detection has been working for a few days. However, I noticed that it’s less effective in my garage in the early morning when it’s dark, using night vision & the IR lights. I’ve submitted those videos for AI improvement.

I wish that Person Detection worked on sound events, too.

they are currently looking into getting the AI person detection to work with both sound and the smart alerts triggered by Wyze Sense. :+1: no timeline estimate for a roll out yet though.

1 Like

Person detection on my cameras always seems to hit on moving plants. I’m not too impressed so far, but hopefully AI will improve with time.

If you wish to help with improving the AI model, please share those videos at the bottom-right of the screen and specify you didn’t see a person. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yet again, Person Detection stopped working 2 days ago. I had to power cycle again to get it working.

Stopped working again this morning. Had to reboot. I submitted for help in the app, but get a form response by email explaining that person detection is a motion event, not a separate type of event, and that it’s subject to the 5 minute cool down, I already know that, and that doesn’t address my problem.

A couple of weeks or so ago I installed the app and firmware upgrades without issue for the then announced Person Detection. I enabled Person under Send Notifications and disabled All Other Motion. Sound has always been disabled.

My one and only Cam V2 looks out over my front yard and the detection was A-OK for myself and the UPS, Amazon and mail folks. The motion events were flagged with the little person icon and the notification sounded out and rendered on the lock screen. It ignored motion from the feral cats that pass by.

Pretty slick, I thought. Until the third day when it stopped working. Persons were detected as motion only. No icon, no notification.

I checked in here an found this topic; not alone was I.

I emailed support and reported my issue as well as alerting to this trending community topic.

I was instructed to share the event(s). In that the two share choices are “I saw/didn’t see…” and “for AI improvement only” with no way to indicate something like “not flagged as Person, no notification,” I ignored that instruction.

Then on the 23rd, it began working again. I added that to my support ticket and the reply was “Oh wow. That’s really strange.”

And then it stopped on the 25th. But this time only the notification failed, icon OK.

All of this occurred during this time span without any intervention on my part - no restarts, resets, reinstalls, reboots, re-anything.

I would consider my Android 8.1 Galaxy Tab 10.1 might be wonky, but all my other apps’ enabled notifications are fine.

The issue is on the backend IMHO and I hope Wyze can square it away. Given the number of pre-Person notification specific issues posted throughout the community here (some of which I experienced as well), the task appears to be daunting.

I’m otherwise satisfied with my Cam V2 considering its price point and the free services provided.

UPDATE:
Yesterday (07/28) there was only on Person event (flagged with the Person icon) when I walked out to check my curb side mailbox at 4:24 PM. The notification arrived this morning (07/29) shortly before 10 AM. I updated my support ticket.

I am amazed how WYZE is ignoring the “PERSON” detecting function on the V2 camera. No help from them. Anyway doing some research and experimentation I think I found the solution. It has to do with having more then one WiFi network in your home. These cameras don’t like that especially the PERSON detecting function. So what I recommend is deleting the offending camera from the WYZE software. Un plug the camera wait about 15 min. Re-plug it. Start up the software. Install it to only one WiFi network. Using the standard WYZE setup. Remember to activate “PERSON” under the notifications tab if the special software is not installed, it will ask you to install it. After all this it should work again

I am not sure I understand your question? I have 3 WiFi networks at home, my main one for Netflix, Hulu, Email and apps and web browsing. Then I have another one that I use just for IOT devices like Wyze Cams my alarm system and Alexa etc, then a 3rd one for guests. Actually I guess 6 since there is a 2.5 GHz and a 5 GHz version of each network.

My Person Detection functions just fine. Most devices including Wyze can only be attached to one Network at a time anyway so I need help understanding exactly what your particular issue was?

I have three networks as well but you only need one.

Person detection doesn’t detect me as a person 90% of the time. Luckily other people are detected. I think we also need car detection. Maybe we just need something as big or bigger as a person notification. Cats and dogs, no big deal. People, vehicles, bears and elephants, I would like to be alerted.

On those times when it detects motion but does not detect a person you can share the video with Wyze to help refine the detection AI. I suspect Wyze will grow person detection into a more robust service over time. Stay tuned as they say.

1 Like

Here is guess at why the service doesn’t work so well. For me I’m using this camera from a second-floor balcony. So people aren’t being seen head on but rather from an overhead ish view. Depending on how the computer vision is done, it may not be robust enough to still work from different Vantage points. Just a thought. This could improve eventually but for now, like so many others, my system basically doesn’t detect people.

For you the 20-foot limitation may also have an effect. See do’s and don’t here:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031188971-Person-Detection-with-Edge-AI

1 Like

I have the problem of it stopping person detection. It goes for 4-8 days working fine then nothing for 3-4 days. I restart the camera and it seems to work again for a few days. It logs people as regular motion.

2 Likes