Painting the new Wyze Cam Outdoor

It’'s actually easier than they show. They show more sophisticated jammers than are actually needed. You can buy a wifi jammer for less than $10 from several Chineses companies. If you don’t want to do that, you can Google “diy wifi jammer” and build one yourself.
If you have a hardwired camera you should still have battery backup or at least put a lock on your electrical breaker box.

2 Likes

In Tips and Tricks, I provided a cheap source for existing V2’s to get outside housings and mount gimbles.

I scored mine for just over $4 with a coupon from a great review on another product. 36hrs later, they are here, this is what you get, and this is my color of the month…

I used a Qtip head to pack the 10/24 threads, and scotch tape to protect the plastic threads on mount.

6 minutes. Baking at 99degrees.

If you have a WCO, I’d wait to get a aftermarket camera housing in a deal package

5 Likes

Your situation is a prime example of why I recommended ‘Plastic kote’ peels off with minimal effort

1 Like

Very nice paint job.
What is the molded-in ramp shape on the back panel for and did you paint the lock wheels?

1 Like

Thank you,

The molded ramp shape allows the single power supply that sticks out to be shielded and then the ramp shapes and contours the power cord down to the lower slit.

On this purchase design, there is a flaw for daisy chained cameras. My aftermarket 16’ usb to power is about the smallest I’ve seen and yet the Extruded Slope on the back is 10mm to low and ramp is at wrong angle.

But for single power supply. Excellent

I did not paint the thumb wheels. When tightened down they are well hidden behind the camera so it was just ignored.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I agree, no need to paint what is not seen.
Very nice installation.
It occurred to me since this installation is under the eve, water dripping along the power cord is probably not an issue. The power cord could be routed through a hole placed in the back. The existing power slot could be epoxyed in or taped over and then painted to match.

1 Like

Funny that you say all that…we think alike.

I have a dremel and a rotozip. I did exactly that when I found that I couldn’t daisy chain the cameras due to extruded ramp being to low placed on housing.

I even contemplated putting rear halve of housing in an oven for 15mins at 400 and remold the housing…but decided it’d be a requiring a negative 5 minute Mud positive mold… and scraped that idea.

I haven’t yet sealed it up, but I did carve it up and file it and paint it as you imply. It’s safe for now.

Looking around my shop to determine which thin plastic I can mold and attach as a fixed plate I can bond/melt with crazy glue or hot glue…

But it’s 101 outside and thunderheads are forming. Wish I had a SkyCam from Wyze for what’s coming.

Screenshot_20200816_190808

My WCO is probably going to spend most of its nights in The Weeds hoping critters walk by, so I didn’t particularly care about the color or appearance and used a black magic marker for a quick and dirty paint job.

1 Like

Hello RightlyWitnessed.
What can I say but that, some great minds tend to think alike? Looking at your soffit mounted camera brought back some of the many paddle mounted cameras I have done for others. The paddles can sometimes provide a better point of view for the cameras.

Your thoughts about baking to soften plastic for shaping purposes brought to mind the shaping of plastic to make 30° downward tilting mounts for motion sensors. If you were to do a search on the words ‘ motion sensor 30 heat molding ‘, you would be taken to a post I did a while back showing how to use a form and a heat gun to shape a piece of plastic very nicely. I think you will enjoy this post. I made extras. If you want, I will send you one.

1 Like

Black is popular but I think camouflage would blend better in weeds.

Funny you should mention camouflage, I just bought Mossy Oak brand car seat covers and there is just enough camouflage printed on the box to make a camera cover.

2 Likes

I did that search & did not find anything on molding plastic

I ordered some camo tape off amazon but while waiting for that to show up, I just scarped off some tree skin and rubber banded it. Hope it less noticeable mounting on a tree.

3 Likes

Hello elcaminoguy
The screen clip shows what I did.

Selecting the second topic down, “The second topic down New Motion Sensor and magnetic mounting” took me directly to the stuff I wanted to you to see.
Good luck.

Cute… I wonder if you can do anything about the big black circle that covers the camera, PIR and something else

I’m getting Band of Brothers flashbacks… :grinning:

1 Like

This should work.

1 Like

New Motion sensor and magnetic mounting - #15 by victormaletic.
This is the post I meant to send you.

1 Like

this wasnt Me that posted this

still didnt come up & My screen when I put that in dont look like yours