Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Yup, he’s got an installer for the V3 on Github.

1 Like

Good to know for future reference. I don’t have a v3 - not sure I’ll stay with wyze in the future or not. I really haven’t been wowed by performance beyond the excellent image. Just now it took 13 min to get a motion notification from a V2 - not what I’d consider rock solid security monitoring reliability.

Can I using my NAS which is FreeNAS as the file share. ( now is TrueNAS)
also, if possible support ONVIF the same stream to my home NVR? (I mean I need to keep all Wyze AI features on the cloud, just stream the same to keep at my home with other POE IP Cameras originally like hikvision or Dahua) in this case, the keep time can be much longer at my home NVR, which normally few months with my 6 TB purple WD discs

In light of the recent AWS issues exposing a weakness, an added feature of a NAS device might be to hold a small database of rules, timed events, device interactions, etc. that would normally be kept in the cloud. The device could check for network availability, and upon not finding any, run those routines locally.

I can visualize the device as a hub with a few USB ports for hard drives.

1 Like

NVR to access Wyze Cams locally for people who do not have Internet.

It would be awesome if there was a Wyze DVR that could access all Wyze cameras, record the info locally and control them with no internet. This can make Wyze Cams usable in closed circuits or remote locations.

3 Likes

Options to keep cost down

Hello There,
Thank you for making such an awesome and affordable system.

I recently received your message regarding the discontinuance of the recording to the cloud. I had some thoughts.

Yes you are right, Most users do not need recordings to the cloud, but when you do need it, it is essential. It was a prime motivator for me to change over to your equip and replace my D link units. Normally I do not need the cloud recording when I am home as I can look at the Flash Card, but when I’m away, its very important to save the videos as in a break in, the camera itself might be stolen. I’m sure it costs quite a bit to provide this. I had a couple of possible options you might consider.

Make the recordings on demand. A switch in the app that can turn it on for a defined length of time, say 10 days and then it automatically shuts off unless you re-activate the switch. Those users that do not need the recording would not use the switch. Those that do, would have to be proactive regarding it.

Have you considered making a DVR that the cameras can transmit to and store the videos ? Something that can be hidden in a discreate location on premise. Perhaps something like the base station you have with your outdoor cams.

I will be subscribing to the Cam plus once i have fully converted over to your system and determined my needs.

Thank you again for your fine system, Ketch

2 Likes

The hclx hack for the V2/V3 cams allows pointing video storage to a network folder rather than the sd card - it’s a partial solution since the cloud services are still required for notifications. Just seems like wyze could easily improve on it if they wanted. My guess is they are looking to defeat the hack in order to provide a proprietary solution that they could somehow lock down to prevent hacking. Certainly server based ai processing and notifications could be done locally from a base station/nvr.

1 Like

TrueNAS Scale on a custom build. We flat out need a way to store all recordings to a NAS.

1 Like

Agreed. It would also be nice to be able to execute rules, schedules, etc. in the event of internet connection failure.

That’s going beyond just local stg, that’s full blown processing - obviously it is possible but that would cannibalize wyze services so don’t look for wyze to offer these functions.

For the techie types, homebridge, the wyze-bridge and scrypted can bring these functions out of the wyze ecosphere with various addons. Some can function within a local LAN. With a firmware hack, the wyze cam can be fully free of the wyze cloud. But I’m only just starting and only familiar with what HomeKit can offer on iOS - I’m halfway tech capable and it is time consuming as well as challenging at times, but it does seem to offer some hope going fwd unless wyze somehow breaks things.

Agreed… I’ve a QNAP TVS-1282 in the house, and plenty of real estate to store my own recordings.

SJ

Since this ability has been available via 3rd party open source developers, it’s clear that wyze is simply sitting on this until they can figure out how to profit by charging to allow this since it pretty much negates the need for any current service for a fee.

1 Like

I could not have said it better.

Wyze’s VP of Product may have hinted about this in the AMA today:

So that was a Solid Yes to having plans to revive something like the MaxDrive project (basically an NAS).

Direct recording to NAS.

I was reading an old post that someone made requesting the ability to have their recordings backed up to thier NAS.

I would suggest one step further. It would be great if it were possible to have to option to have the cameras instead of recording onto an SD card save directly to your NAS. By doing so, you eliminate the need for a SD card and also have direct access to all of your recordings. These days many of us have full gig networks and I don’t think that the issue of speed would be a problem when it comes to having the video sent directly to the NAS. If the issue with having these recordings save directly to a NAS is speed. Then just require the SD card merely for temporary storage so that the camera can send the video to the NAS and self delete it after the transfer to keep the SD card empty and available.

2 Likes

If you read the previous posts about a Wyze NAS being planned, then you could easily read between the lines to understand Wyze does nothing out of altruistic reverence for their customers desires - this has been available via open source developers for quite some time so I view this option as intentionally being withheld while they are working on a way to monetize it by developing a proprietary system or how they can position it in a higher tier of cam plus. Meanwhile 3rd party open source developers have made this available for techie DIY types which are probably a small minority of Wyze users. But I still view Wyze as they type of company that will try to defeat this 3rd party ability. Those wishing to utilize their own existing NAS like myself will more than likely remain ignored. Imho.

1 Like

While I have no way of knowing Wyze’s intentions, I can’t disagree with your statement. I’ve seen no evidence that disproves your statement.

That’s a statement I can agree with 100%, once again, I see no evidence to the contrary.

I’ve recently ‘discovered’ time lapse’s on my V3 cams… love the sunset’s I’ve captured that way… but I LOATHE the process of downloading them to my phone, just to download them to my PC or NAS.

Camera… on network… NETWORK attached Storage (or PC/MAC)… on … network… I’m no rocket scientist… so I won’t point out the obvious here…

We’ll probably get this feature about the time we get Landscape View For Tablets

SJ

2 Likes

Learned to doubt Wyze long ago when I saw 90deg rotation ignored which is useful for cams mounted on their side to get vertical coverage. I think it’s been on the wishlist from when I first came here 3 yrs ago. I use one cam to view my outside front entry area which was my original purpose. I did not know the image would be fixed to landscape in the app such that it only displays sideways - 180 deg flip but no 90! Meanwhile open source stuff like homebridge can easily rotate and/or flip as desired 90 deg or 180 so it’s not difficult. Then there was the pc/web view which they held back on until they could monetize it. Again, not hard to get for free via open source options. Anyway from pushing out beta products to the complete and utter failure of the PD/legacy PD/camlite debacle to the constant stream of bug ridden firmware and software, it is a wonder I’m still here, especially now that Wyze is basically saying delete account to start over or go elsewhere.

1 Like

ha ha ha … good one

Synology NAS