Motion sensor false alarm

I have had an issue with this for a while, Wye has sent me 2 new sensors and I still do not have a resolution and becoming frustrated. They have closed my ticket several times without resolve.

My garage sensor, the one that I originally had problems with false positives last year, started false alerting again last month. It seems as though when the temp drops thru a certain range, it gets very cantankerous. It finally settled back down after about two weeks of wide temp swings. That’s when it started staying cold. If it continues to be an annoyance, I am going to do the same as last time. Take the battery out for a week, replace w\ new battery, and reinstall it.

Twice in the last three weeks my Sense motion sensor has triggered a call to the monitoring company. Both times were within 5 minutes of my setting the Away and leaving the house. No one home, no pets in the house. I only use the motion sensor when I’m not home (rely on the door/window sensors), so haven’t had the experience of being wakened in the middle of the night, but I don’t like getting a call when I’m driving either. Possible most recent alarm was triggered by flashing Christmas lights but first one was before tree was up. I may have to totally rely on door sensors if this keeps happening…

I have had 2 brand new ones exhibiting the exact same issue sent to me. All have been placed in my finished basement. The original one operated flawless for 8 months now I can no stop any of them from acting up. I had to remove them from the monitoring profile so the police stopped showing up. This means I am only protected if the doors and windows are open not broken… Very frustraited

I had two wayward motion sensors as well. Both of mine were ones that had fallen off the wall from the cheap adhesive used though. They both kept false alarming.

I got them back in line by resetting them, taking the battery out for several days, replacing the battery with new platinum cell batteries, resetting them again, and then installing them to the app again.

One of them hasn’t acted up since (more than a year now), the other is in an unheated area and gets quirky when the temp drops drastically. I have a replacement on the way and will be moving that one into an automation only role.

I will try to see if pulling the battery for a few days helps. These have never been dropped or anything and I have tried multiple locations. Swapped batteries and rest them all. I tried to get wyze to help me but they just kept sending me new ones and closing the tickets. I finally had to tell them to stop sending me new ones because the other 2 new ones never resolved it.

If the replacement motion sensors exhibited the same false alarm behavior as the originals, there may be an issue with RF interference or reception that is based on the location of the sensors.

Have you swapped out the affected sensors with known good sensors to see if the false alarming follows the sensor to the new location or if the location determines the false alarm?

Mine has started this as well. Had home monitoring since it was released and mine started acting up a month ago. Changed the battery and it was okay for about a month and today set the alarm off again. So frustrating!

The motion sensors aren’t triggered by light, only temperature variations using PIR.

After looking into my alarm event, I saw it wasn’t the sensor that set off the alarm this time. It showed entry delay started, like a door sensor and then the motion sensor detected a motion after the alarm was triggered. I went back to my door cameras and nothing. Don’t know why the entry sensor was set off.

1 Like

It was definitely your Living Room Motion Sensor that set off the alarm.

There currently is, and has been for some time, an event reporting anomaly (bug) when it comes to the HMS events. It has been posted and noted in the past. The events on the timeline are being posted out of order with inaccurate times.

I just triggered my alarm simultaniously with a motion detector and a contact sensor. Note how my Kitchen Motion Sensor and Back Door Contact Sensor are reporting as being tripped AFTER the system has been disarmed. Physically impossible. It doesn’t matter which sensor it reports as initiating the alarm (yellow dots), they will always be after the disarm or after a triggered alarm. I have just learned to live with it since I know it is going to happen.

As for the Motion Sensor, my Garage Motion Sensor has begun to once again act up. This is the one that fell off the wall previously. It is giving regular false alarms even on new batteries.

I am in the process of repeating the steps I took last time to get it back online: Factory Reset, pull batteries, off for several days, delete from app, new batteries, factory reset, reinstall.

But, I have already removed it from my on duty sensors and replaced it with a new one since I can’t trust it any more. This one will be demoted to automation duty if it recovers.

Thanks for the response SlabSlayer. I guess I’ll try a new sensor and hope that fixes the issue.

1 Like

Just an update, the previous process has once again brought this wayward sensor back to function. It has been operating now in a test environment for several days without a false alert or missed motion alert.

Steps I took:

1. Factory Reset
  2. Remove batteries
  3. Rest for 3 to 5 days
  4. New batteries (platinum)
  5. Factory Reset
  6. Install

My HMS motion sensor set a false alarm 2 days ago. I received no notification, text, email or phone call from Noonlight. And law enforcement was notified and responded. I found out of this when reviewing my front door camera and discovered a police officer with flashlight outside my front door. I reviewed my other cameras both inside my home and outside and no intruders were recorded. This is unacceptable and am now considering dropping this service and going with a reputable security service.

That hasn’t been my experience and I have been using the HMS for quite some time.

There hasn’t been a single instance since installing it when I haven’t received a Push Notification from the app, a text message from Noonlight, and a phone call from Noonlight when an alarm activates (28 in last 12 months, most during test scenarios).

Have you contacted Noonlight and asked them why you did not receive a text message or phone call? What did they say?

Do you have push notifications enabled in the app? Were they muted at the time? Was your phone in DND? Is your phone number correct in the HMS Monitoring Settings? Do you have a backup number for them to call?

Just after I wrote this message I finally received my AT&T cell message and missed call notification. Only a day and a half late. But why did my motion sensor activate an alarm. Clearly there was not any motion or my cameras would have picked it up. I tested the system this AM and found my 2 motion sensors covering my living room had weak batteries and didn’t activate during my test. After new batteries both sensors worked fine. Now can a weak battery cause a sensor to falsely activate, as mine clearly did? I’ll do some additional testing. My understanding is that security cameras only send out notification alerts and not alarms. Correct? Thanks for your response to my inquiry. Appreciate it.

[Mod Edit]: Signature block has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

That sounds like a serious conversation with AT&T cellular is in order.

False alarms with any system are possible. None of them are perfect, even the wired ones. This is why most local municipalities, like mine, require you to have an alarm permit. Too many false alarms and you get fined. Without it you get a massive fine in the first one.

Many things can cause a false motion alarm: placement too close to a heat source, low battery, instantaneous RF signal intereference, malfunctioning sensor (like my dropped and highly sensitive one), etc.

Having one false alarm isn’t so much a concern to me as is the fact that your cellular provider failed and you didn’t get the SMS or phone call on time.

Since you are using Android… Check out this post down at the bottom for what I have going on outside of what Noonlight will do.

VERY EASILY! Probably the greatest single cause of fakes alarms. The RF signal polling from the hub cannot get the correct signal without the right voltage from the sensor. It’s like trying to start your car on a dead battery… All the lights on the dash start going crazy and the radio resets all the stations. Weird things happen with electronics when the power gets too low.

Incorrect.

Every one of your motion sensors and contact sensors can be set to send an individual Push notification in each sensors settings.

Additionally, your HMS will also send out push notifications. For example, I just performed the following and received a Push Notification for each and every event:

• Placed HMS in Test Mode
  • Armed System Away w\ Keypad
  • Triggered an alarm by movement on my Living Room Motion Sensor - 30 second entry delay
  • Alarm Activated after the 30s delay
  • Disarmed using keypad
  • Removed HMS from Test Mode

6 events, 6 push notifications

One of six motion sensors began tripping the alarm every two minutes or so in the “away” mode. I deleted it from the system and reinstalled and have not had the opportunity to do an “away” mode test.

However, this one sensor now pings my phone when it detects motion even when the alarm is “disarmed”. I deleted again and installed again, but the problem was not fixed.

The sensor should, of course, only send a notification to my phone when detecting motion in the “away” mode. Please advise the work around. Thanks.

When you deleted and reinstalled the sensor, all the sensor settings are reset to the default mode.

What you are getting is not a notification from the HMS but a notification from the sensor.

Sensor notifications are independent if the HMS. The HMS will only send alert notifications when the system is armed, however individual sensor settings do not respect the Armed\Disarmed mode.

Sensor notification settings are either on or off.

Open the sensor from the device menu and enter it’s Settings :gear: → Notifications. Toggle off Send Notifications.

Be sure to replace the batteries.

1 Like

Doing that worked. Thanks!

1 Like