Loads of stuff suddenly not working in Wyze app!

What I find disturbing is that even the scale doesn’t work when AWS is down. Really? You would think the app would still be able to get that data since it’s via BT and then upload\sync later but nope.

This is the second time in less than 2 weeks that AWS has gone down for a chunk of time, taking most smart home devices with it…

everything needs to be able to run locally…

but, #Amazon wants to monitor/track everything . :rage:

This has NOTHING to do with Amazon wanting to monitor/track everything. Wyze chose to host their servers on AWS, they were not forced. They could have went with Microsoft Azure or other providers. Wyze could also probably figure out a way to have things run locally, but that costs money and sometimes it’s better to be able to ‘lock in customers’ in order to keep them spending their money with you. If you run things locally, you might not want to get a subscription for X,Y,Z, etc.

If I had to guess, the reason behind this issue is that Wyze likely didn’t build enough redundancy into their architecture within AWS. For example, I use AWS for some production systems and we have redundancy across multiple regions and within those regions, in local availability zones. That way, if something happens to an availability zone (think it that being a datacenter) or in a region, services remain available, albeit with a small price in performance because your requests are going to another region further away from you.

If anything, I would guess that Wyze made the decision to not put in multiple levels of redundancy as I described in order to reduce their AWS costs. AWS isn’t cheap, but you need to decide on a balance between what you are willing to spend on your infrastructure, and the reputational/use impact on your customers. With proper redundancy, issues like what AWS experienced today would probably have minimal impact on Wyze and its customers. The fact that they probably decided to reduce costs and thus increase their level of exposure is more likely the issue here.

So, the issue isn’t that Amazon is trying to monitor and/or track everything. It’s that businesses are making decisions on how they want to spend their money and how much impact they re willing to endure if something goes wrong. It all comes down to money, as usual…

1 Like

I wonder if Wyze couldn’t pull out critical systems - HMS, locks and cameras - and build that multilevel redundancy in. Bulbs, plugs, robovacs, etc can remain non-critical.

1 Like

I have other IOT devices/platforms that were affected by the AWS outage today. Guess what - their respective apps were still able to control my devices locally. In other words - other IOT platforms which had cloud services shut down by the AWS outage, and were also not able to be controlled with Google Home or Alexa - were still able to operate with their 1st-party apps. Not Wyze - can’t control cameras, smart bulbs, etc. If Wyze wanted to give us the ability, for example, to still control our Wyze bulbs locally during a cloud outage - they could - but they have chosen not to.

Wyze isn’t the only AWS subscriber that is having issues due to this outage …

many other smart home devices are down due to the AWS outage… Ring, Smartlife,… Not to mention anything connected to an Amazon routine none of that is working either…
… and that’s got nothing to do with wyze.

I’ve been able to access All my Wyze cameras bulbs and plugs via the app… It’s everything connected to an Amazon routine that’s not working…

for me anyway…

But I completely agree everything should be able to run locally…
…but I don’t know if wyze can do that without help from Amazon

I’ve been able to access All my Wyze cameras bulbs and plugs via the app… It’s everything connected to an Amazon routine that’s not working…

I’m surprised - I have never been able to access my Wyze bulbs during one of their or Amazon’s outages - including today. Definitely not via Google Home or Alexa (which makes sense) - but also via the Wyze app. I’m genuinely curious about this…

I think, after reading everyone’s comments and thinking about it for a bit, that this doesn’t come down to AWS or an infrastructure problem per se but an architectural choice with the app and services. Cost could be the driver but it could be a combination of cost and complexity - writing something that still works locally via all local connections first basically turns the app into a hub for the data (unless you have a physical hub like Hue). And I suspect other devices\services have made the same architectural choice to use a cloud-based service (AWS, Azure, or otherwise). Unfortunately it may just be how it’s going to be - and incidents such as this one highlight to users if that’s a potential deal breaker for them or not.

Thermostat finally came back online. Vacuum is still unable to connect.

My cameras are still down. I don’t run any Amazon routines or anything like that. Just camera and access them through the Wyze app.

So is this an AWS issue or a Wyze issue?

To be clear, the access I have to them is only in the app …I can’t pull them up on an echo show or Google display when there’s an AWS outage…

An in an effort to be even clearer… during the outage, when I did access them they came up, and I could view them, but when I exited out of them, they still showed up as “offline” (greyed-out), although the thumbnail image updats to the most current…
very strange behavior. :wink:

I’m still able to access my wyze products through the app …although none of the routines that run through Amazon will work …and I have other IoT devices like a ring video doorbell and some smartlife bulbs, that are also offline… (But still can be controlled through their respective) apps

Like the more regional one last week, this is an AWS outage that is affecting multiple IoT platforms…

For what it’s worth, and I am on Cape Cod in the Northeast …everything seems to be back up now…

Although a couple cameras are still coming up as “offline” …although I can access them, and they seem to be working correctly. …probably a huge backlog of triggers that need to be cleared before everything’s back to complete normal…

Copy thanks,west coast here,still missing cam plus

I may have spoke too soon… a couple of my routines didn’t trigger in the last 10 minutes… so still might be down… We’ll see if the outdoor lights come on at sunset… :crossed_fingers:

Still out here in ND. Interesting to see how far and where this is actually hitting.

Search “AWS outage” on Twitter… It’s blowing up…

It’s affecting Europe…

1 Like

When ppl are getting offline, are you getting the “Device is offline(error code 90)” looking for the error code 90 as that is what I am getting…

I’m running the beta app, when a camera is offline It’s usually grayed out, and just says “offline” … Although during these AWS server outages, the cameras usually will load properly and the thumbnail will update, but they’ll still be grayed out… If the cameras truly not connected to your Wi-Fi, then you will get the error code…

Some of the posts there say it’s been fixed. Well, if it has been fixed then the problem now is Wyze.