Lidar blocked notification on robot vacuum

Only fix is to get a replacement. It has been working flawless using it every other day.

I had gotten in at the beginning (pre-order) and within 8 months, had the Lidar problem. Looking into it, nothing is visibly blocking it, but still did an air spray.
Have since gotten a replacement (08/2021), but now (only 4 months in), having the exact same issue.
Opened a ticket and hoping they get back to me soon. But 2 failures within a years time for the same problem is a bit of a factor.
Looking at it last night, pressing start, it “sounds” like it is trying to get the lidar ring to spin, but then fails again. Did a factory reset and the ring started spinning, then shortly afterward, stopped again. tried 2 more resets, but neither of them got it spinning again.

Really starting to wonder if this has an issue with pet hair (husky and shiba inu, so hair in the house is a given). I keep the wheels and brush clean, but there is not really a way to clear out that periscope area. Going to pull out the 1st unit we had and start tearing it down to see if there is any sort of buildup in there and if so, is there a way to clear it out to restore functionality.
I was a bit surprised they did not send a return label and ask for the old one back so they could have the engineers look into the failure and see what improvements for v2.0 could be implemented.

(content above updated to reflect actual times from original order (11/2020 with first failure in August 2021, 2nd failure in December 2021)

Lidar is belt driven. Belt came off the motor. Repairable!! See a youtube on how to disassemble a Xiaomi. 20 screws are so. Enjoy

Thanks dr.know!, I just called this number to report my error “Obstacles are blocking me. Please help.” message from my 9 month old Wyze LIDAR vacuum and they are sending a replacement. Thanks Wyze!

Just in case anyone needed more details, I just had this happen because Christmas tree pine needles had fallen into the plastic enclosure that houses the lidar sensor and they were blocking it from moving freely.

I ultimately had to open it up by popping off the top/back plate with a plastic pry tool (no screws here), unscrewing the plastic fasteners that hold the lid (3 screws each) and then removing the lidar cover (4 screws). Turns out the little rubber belt that makes it spin had come off completely, so I cleaned it out with compressed air and reattached the belt to the pulley and it works great again now.

4 Likes

Perfect explanation of the problem, thank you. I was able to fix mine by telling it to start a clean routine, then reaching in and spinning the LIDAR sensor puck clockwise with my finger.

I assume that got the belt back on the pulley somehow, because it then started spinning on its own and resumed cleaning.

1 Like

Does anyone have images on how to remove the top? I’m afraid I might break the plastic hinges.

I followed the above on taking off the top and found that my belt actually wasn’t dislodged, however there was hair and dirt in the bearing that spun the LIDAR causing the belt to not have enough friction to actually spin the LIDAR. i have pictures below of most steps, the one i didn’t take involved removing the LIDAR lens hardware. Ultimately i put a little lightweight bike cable grease on the bearing as it was still running a little rough after removing the dust and hair. Just ran it and everything seems to be working again.

Things to note -
i popped the clips that hold in the small top plate over the LIDAR casing with a small flat head screwdriver, and just working gently from a corner. There are no screws on this piece, just 4 little plastic compression clips, one at each corner and two along the back
Once removing that back top plate, removing the top door involves 3 screws per a hinge at those little trianglish pieces
once you open the LIDAR case and remove the hardware (4 bigger screws),t he 6 screws or so along the bottom (post removing the LIDAR hardware) are meant to keep the clips from coming undone. once removed, its pretty easy to just pop one side of the casing up with a flat head screw driver and remove, as eluded to in pic 4 & 5 and expose the bearing, if you want to grease. All of this may be unnecessary for you though

Update - apparently i can only upload 1 pic per a post… will try multiple follow up posts to get them in. But as request by the above user, left the one showing the clips

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

I had this issue and tried factory reset, then replacing the belt and the lidar motor that drives the belt, and then took the entire assembly apart and cleaned it with no luck. It appears to be a defect in the circuitry.

So I found a perfect replacement on aliexpress. Here’s the link:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803953788731.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

It’s plug and play, so no my vac is working just like new again. Don’t understand why Wyze doesn’t make this part available.

2 Likes

Can anyone confirm this part is correct and works? Seems too good to be true. < $20 shipped…

Do you think I posted this because I’m a Chinese seller of lidar motors? Believe it. It works. My vac has been running error free for a couple of months now. I took a gamble and ordered this because it visually matched the existing part and it paid off.

1 Like

lol. Now I am kinda suspicious. For $16USD and change I’ll give it a shot because I really like the vac and don’t want to buy another. And now I wonder if I can find the source of who makes these for Wyze. Can probably get a whole new robo vac for under $100…

That would be Xiaomi. The STYJ02YM https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPNiSU2 is the same but has the mop, which is nothing more than a Swiffer pad that is moistened by a water tank.

Some people crack me up. I go to the trouble to post this fix so that it will help others and instead of a thanks, I get “can anyone confirm” and “Now I am kinda suspicious”. Use your eyeballs and you can see it’s the same part. Not sure what you think I would have to gain by posting a fake fix, but if that’s what you want to believe then go ahead and buy yourself a new vacuum.

I took a chance and replaced the lidar motor(link posted by 2frank) on my robot Vaccum that was having issues and it seem have resolved the lidar issue I was having. Thanks for sharing this info.

3 Likes

My lidar wasn’t spinning so I opened it up and removed a lot of hair, but it seems that the belt is really loose so I am assuming it is stretched out. Anyone know what size I would need to get for a replacement?

@ctaktak

Aliexpress is a good source of parts for the Wyze robot vacuum.

The OEM manufacturer is Xiaomi and their model number is STYTJ02YM

I was unable to find a replacement belt online. Amazon has several LIDAR belts but none specifically for this vacuum.

However the complete LIDAR unit is available

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP9GpEA

Looking closely at the belt in the photo at the AE link, it looks like a belt that would be used for a tape deck.

The belts on Amazon are about the same price as the complete unit on AE.

If you can find a slightly smaller sized rubber band, you could use that to test your theory that the belt is your problem. I swapped belts from my Xiaomi vac when I was troubleshooting mine, but it didn’t help. As TomG said, you should probably just get a new lidar unit over buying a belt without knowing for sure that is your problem.