How to Power source Wyze Cameras outside the house (newbee alert)

There are a number of solar power supplies that hunter use to power their trail cameras that detect which animals are coming into the area at night. Most of them use 12 volts, but that can easily be adapted to a USB output of 5.2 volts. Here is one for example.

One idea for you drmango - we have an electrical outlet mounted in the soffits for Christmas lights. So I removed the cover plate and replaced the center screw with one thats about 1/4" longer. I put that longer screw through the base of the camera and then through the cover plate and screwed the plate back into place, now holding up the very light V3 camera, which covers up one electrical outlets. The second outlet is where I plug the camera in, but since the plugin wire is fairly long, I wrapped that around the base of the camera so it’s the perfect length to plug the camera in. Ours is high enough that you cannot reach it without a ladder, so it’s pretty safe there with just one little screw holding it up.

1 Like

I would like to see a picture of the installation @trulaw.

Caution – That appears to be an INDOOR adapter OUTDOORS. People have had water condense on the plug or get blown up there, and start fires. Not recommended. :neutral_face:

Good to be cautious. But he might be able to circumvent this possibility if the outlet is a GFI type.

I’m using various Ah deep cycle LiFePo batteries in power boxes with buck step down converters to 5VDC with solar charge controllers/chargers and adequate panels for my cams and garage door openers ive modified to use as gate opener controllers. The openers are also powered with batteries and solar and built them with 12VDC linear actuators and very inexpensive boards from Amazon and others. Im always tinkering to improve on each instance. Most of the cheaper solar controllers aren’t compatible with rechargeable Lithium or LiFePo batterys. I have used supposed “defective dead” SLA or flooded batteries just fine which is not bad for free or 10 bucks.