How to make Wyze Cam v4 connect to Wi-Fi 6?

I got my Wyze Cam v4 and set it up and it is working fine on my 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network.

How do I make it connect to my Wi-Fi 6 network? I did not see any way to do that when setting it up.

The specs list on the website:

Connectivity
2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi 6

WiFi 6 isn’t a separate band. It’s the same old bands, just enhanced.

1 Like

How do you force it to use the 6 GHz band? My router says my v4 is using the 2.4 GHz band. My Samsung 24 Ultra is using the 6 GHz band. I have one SSID setup to use all bands of my WiFi router (2.4, 5, 6).

I repeat, WiFi 6 is not a band. It applies to 2.4, 5 and now 6ghz. Wyze doesn’t have any device that uses the 6ghz band.

2 Likes

Your Cam v4 is running on a 2.4 GHz band of Wi-Fi 6.

Cam v4 cannot run on a 5 GHz band of Wi-Fi 6 or a 6 GHz band of Wi-Fi 6E.

3 Likes

I feel deceived.
:angry:
The advertising says WIFI 6. So, I am understanding the marketing nuance here. It’s not any special connection at all. It’s the same old 2.4GHz band.
Here I was expecting it to take advantage of the 6GHz band. I even have the Wyze router pro with WiFi 6E, tri-band.
I have some cameras that continue to struggle to connect. I bought the Cam4 hoping connection would improve. No such luck. Same old bad performance.
And now I learned that the marketing claim is misleading.
Between the really disappointing Wyze Router Pro (terrible terrible user interface)… and now these cameras which aren’t much better than the v3 and which use the same old very dated 2.4 GHz band… I’m starting to regret buying these and losing faith in Wyze marketing claims.
I buy tons of Wyze stuff and now I feel ripped off.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be. WiFi 6 at 2.4ghz is not the same as WiFi 5 at 2.4ghz. The WiFi 6 standard cuts through noise at a very congested WiFi spectrum.

At any rate, Wyze didn’t invent WiFi 6; it’s a networking standard that Wyze is simply adhering to; it’s not meant to deceive you.

2 Likes

6GHz band and WiFi 6 two very different things my fiend. Look it up before you feel deceived.

2 Likes

Okay, I understand the difference between WiFi 6 and the 6GHz spectrum.

However, the Wyze Cam v4 still uses WiFi 4. :wink:

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 3.08.29 PM

There’s no way, to my knowledge, to force it to use WiFi 6 (inexplicably) - nor is there any way of knowing whether or not the device is even able to use WiFi 6 apart from marketing literature.

I have other devices using WiFi 6 on the same network, FWIW.

Until proven otherwise, Wyze Cam v4 does not appear to support WiFi 6.

1 Like

Pro tip: setup the “guest” network in your wifi settings and use it only for cameras/home automation. This protects your normal LAN from anything bad that could happen with these devices, and gives them a cleaner channel to work off. That said, the lower 2.4 Ghz networks are just fine for cameras. The older networks tend to have more range, and are cleaner in some cases.

pretty soon all new camera be on wifi 6 and all the old cams needs to be new cams for them to work…

Not sure what you are trying to say :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I thought this would use the 5Ghz band of the WiFi 6 standard at the minimum.

That was one of the primary reasons I bought it.

Still only using the 2.4 GHz band.

Sad Wyze. I also feel deceived. Will be retuning.

Like the OP, I’ve been with Wyze for a bit and have numerous products. The app is sluggish. Responsiveness of the cameras is slow. I have a fairly robust home network with multiple APs statically placed throughout my home.

It’s not my home network. It’s Wyze and their implementation of AWS services. It’s the reliance on a cloud service for everything and just guessing here, the fact that I won’t subscribe to camplus. For heavens sake, let me connect directly to my cams and store data locally without having to go through AWS every data call!

Out of curiosity, why would you want this? 5Ghz band might be faster but its reach is mediocre at best. As long as you have a router that can support more devices than you already have, 2.4Ghz band is more than sufficient. My router supports 128 devices and I’m far from exceeding that number and I’m really happy with 2.4Ghz band with my Wyze devices.

The 5 Ghz band is significantly faster than 2.4 Ghz.

Agreed, the distance can be a factor but that is something that clients can account for. In my case, my AP is about 5 ft away from the camera and using the 5Ghz band would be preferable. It would decrease the latency and round trip time associated with talking to the camera.

Lets go through my specific “user story.” I get an alert notification that I want to learn more about. I click the alert and it takes me to the event “thumbnail” since I am not using the camplus subscription, All that is actually quite fast. The next step though, not so good.

I want to look at the video that was recorded to my local SD card at the same time the event was recorded, so I click the “Playback” button. This is where the link to my camera is critical. I am relying on communicating to the camera directly to pull the video feed. Improving that link speed is ideal. On the regular, my app spends a great deal of time “Loading Live Stream…” and “Step 1 of 3.”

Is this terrible? Meh, no not really. It’s just slow. It’s not a great UX. Especially when you compare it my V3 cams with the camplus lite subscription that capture the 10 second clips. But that is why I did the upgrade. I knew I wouldn’t be able to use camplus lite with the V4 cameras but figured with the WiFi 6 capability, I’d still have a fairly quick link to my local SD card.

What makes it worse is that Wyze advertised it as using WiFi 6. Whats next? Is Wyze going to say their next camera supports WiFi 7 but still only using the 2.4 Ghz band? Wyze should update their marketing material. On their tech specs of the camera it currently states: “2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi 6” Why say both? Why not just say its 2.4 GHz? This is misleading.

1 Like

Because it’s both. I don’t think it’s misleading.

I have both Wyze at 5ghz and 2.4ghz cameras. I don’t see much difference in SDcard access.

How is it both? That’s now how WiFi works!

It’s just using the 2.4 Ghz band. Under this pretense, I guess they should also list it supports WiFi 7 then.

Oh, maybe they can say it will be compatible with WiFi 8 as well!

Marketing deception.

You likely have the wrong notion of WiFi6. Before WiFi6, Wyze cameras connected at 2,4ghs AND WiFi5. Now it can also connect at 2.4ghs and WiFi6. It’s not a band.

It’s not a deception.

I’m no expert, but I believe that WiFi 6 uses an additional frequency spectrum on the 2.4 & 5G WiFi networks. It’s not a 6 G different network…Maybe an expert on this subject could explain it better than I’m explaining it.

See attached definition. It looks to improve the speed and use of both 2.4 & 5 G connections.

Wi-Fi 6

Wireless networking standard

Wi-Fi 6, or IEEE 802.11ax, is an IEEEstandard from the Wi-Fi Alliance, for wireless networks (WLANs). It operates in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, with an extended version, Wi-Fi 6E, that adds the 6 GHz band. It is an upgrade from Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), with improvements for better performance in crowded places. Wi-Fi 6 covers frequencies in license-exempt bands between 1 and 7.125 GHz, including the commonly used 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, as well as the broader 6 GHz band.

IEEE 802.11ax

Wi-Fi 6: What Is It and Do You Need to Upgrade? | Avast

What is WiFi 6? (802.11ax) - Cisco

What Is WiFi 6? Key Features and Advantages - Spiceworks

What Is Wi-Fi 6? A Look at This Wireless Networking Standard ...

What is WiFi 6? (802.11ax) | Fastest WiFi Router | TP-Link

WiFi 6 Access Points - NETGEAR

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 | Wi-Fi Alliance

Wi-Fi 6 Compatible Devices and Their Use Cases | Digi International

WiFi 6 Access Points - NETGEAR

What Is WiFi 6? Key Features and Advantages - Spiceworks

What is WiFi 6??? - Speed/Range Test vs WiFi 5 - AX vs AC - YouTube

What is Wi-Fi 6 and What Makes It Faster?

What's WiFi 6 & WiFi 6E | ASUS Global

WiFi 6 vs 6E vs 7 Explained: Real-World Speed Testing! - YouTube

What is Wi-Fi 6? | Juniper Networks US

Also see these different visual diagrams… Hope this helps explain it better.

Wi-Fi 6, or IEEE 802.11ax, is an IEEE standard from the Wi-Fi Alliance, for wireless networks. It operates in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, with an extended version, Wi-Fi 6E, that adds the 6 GHz band. It is an upgrade from Wi-Fi 5, with improvements for better performance in crowded places. Wikipedia

This is marketing and Wyze is just trying to jump on the WiFi 6 train.

The notion that the version of WiFi is at all relevant from these cameras perspective is the issue.

It is either using the 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz, or 6 Ghz bands. That is what they need to disclose. Anything else is just fluff.