I know this topic has been covered in bits and pieces in several threads. However, If we can compile answers to these questions, would ensure others looking to install PIR motion sensors get the answers in one thread.
My questions are:
– How exactly does a PIR sensor differ from camera’s pixel-based motion detection?
- Will PIR motion detection ignore moving leaves and branches
- Will PIR motion ignore any motion that is not Human/animal?
- Will shadow from tree branches trigger alert because of heat difference?
- What is the recommended orientation ( Height, etc…) for placement and reduction of false alerts?
- How far out will it detect motion( Cars ) when placed 6ft high on a wall vertically?
- What should the orientation be when placing the motion detection on the ceiling or under eaves.
- Can someone help visualize the coverage the motion sensor offers? I read folks covering the sensor
partially with tapes which seem to have helped.
lastly… any tips and tricks that worked for you in reducing false alerts?
My motion sensor was going off every few minutes and I just could not figure out what was triggering it even after experimenting with a different locations. The only way to stop the constant motion alerts was to place it 2 feet off the ground.