Garage Door Opener

Thanks for the quick reply! Funny, that was my initial thought, to mount the control on the operator, but camera on the ceiling. Only because the ceiling is stippled. I’ll check the fov when my truck gets is back in the garage and report back.

it should work with that door magnetic sensor to detect open close i think

You have limited length in the cables, and you should not add any kind of extension because the cables are shielded to protect the range of your legacy RF remotes. Also, the chances of it reliably reading the QR code from the back of the garage are considerably reduced over a mounting that is near the GDO.

So try it if you like, just be aware of the above if it fails.

What door magnetic sensor are you speaking of, @georgetan ?

1 Like

Hello, from the wyze sense entry sensor, need to have wyze home monitoring.

The garage door controller will not use that sensor to determine the open/closed status. It only uses the QR code for that at this time.

Oh im just asking if it will work with the sensor to close automatically since i use cam outdoor for my garage area.

You would need a V3 to control the GDC; a Wyze Outdoor Camera will not control it.

I recommend the V3 that comes in the GDC kit, as it is a special V3 that has a shielded pigtail to protect the range of your opener’s legacy RF remotes.

I see what @Newshound means by cable length. I assumed the Wyze controller worke via RF like the SmartQ controller. But no, it has to be hardwired. If that’s the case, I guess I’m very surprised someone in the test group didn’t mention having the connection cable be long enough to mount the camera at the back of the garage.

It’s such a waste of a very good camera to have it dedicated to looking for that QR code. It’s useless for any other purpose being mounted where it is. Such a wasted opportunity.

1 Like

There’s no other reason for the camera to be there? I feel like a fool then. I’ve had a V2 hanging upside down under my GDO for about three years now. And I didn’t even have a QR code poster for it to look at. I guess I was wasting the camera, using it to check the open/close position of the door itself, even though I had a sensor reporting the status of the door. Silly me. I guess I should go knock it down since there’s no QR code poster for it to view.

Question about that. If you were to hang or put the camera at the back of the Garage with the GDC and then lengthen the wires that actually connect to the Garage Door, would that be an issue? Seems to be the Shielded part is in the Camera to the GDC, but the wires to connect to the Garage Door Opener is not Shielded.

Just curios as mine has not come in yet. :slight_smile:

It is not a good idea to relocate the camera to the back of the garage. Much harder to resolve the QR code back there. So to keep the cost down, Wyze did not add a lot of USB shielded cable that was only likely to get you in trouble if you tried to use it. That is also the reason they didn’t make it a stand-alone network device. The camera needs to be near the garage door opener, and the current design suits that nicely. :slight_smile:

I suspect you will lose range on your RF remotes if you try to extend the camera’s pigtail with unshielded USB cable. Also, you will probably find the controller no longer reports door closings reliably because it is further away. You could probably extend the wires that connect to the garage door opener from the controller though, as @spamoni suggested. Those aren’t shielded. Still, you have a visual distance problem.

My camera views everything that happens at the garage door, so it’s pretty valuable. It isn’t just to read the QR code, it provides security beyond that, just being a camera pointed at an entrance. I suppose if I had entrances or exits behind the camera I might add a second camera, but if you do and you are concerned about that space you probably already have a camera there.

2 Likes

Thanks, just curious. I have a v3 in the Garage already and will add this one on the Garage Door Opener. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well if all you want the cam to do is check the door position, then that’s fine. For myself, I like my hardware to be as productive as it can be. I already have a cam outside that sees the driveway and garage door. From that position I can watch for visitors, package delivery, etc.

But my Garage Door Cam only sees about a quarter or less of the garage.

Wyze could have configured it to be a lot more productive is all I’m saying.

I tested recognizing the QR code from the back of the garage and, in my garage at least, it worked. So then the only thing stopping my having the units at the back is the length of the cable from the little controller box to wire it to the operator.

Right. You can move the whole shebang if you extend the two wires that connect to the GDO from the Wyze GDC. The main concern is whether it will still reliably read the QR Code 24 hours a day. If you get past that, you should be good. Check the range of your legacy RF remotes too.

It will also be blinking and sounding far from what it is warning about (the garage door closing), but that is a non-operational issue.

Yes, that’s all I want the camera to do is look at that door. There’s two more Wyze camera in the garage to look across including the door and side entrance from either side of the garage.

These cameras are so cheap compared to something that provides the same basic features that can and usually cost 2-3 times more.

I already have a separate product that alerts me to the position of the door as in open or closed. And it sends me phone notifications as phone reminders if it hiccups and remains open.

I try to avoid buying more Wyze products because of that G*&%$mn shipper FedEx Smartpost method they use to send to my location. You think I kid you, but it take a month to get to my area. There’s dozens - hundreds of complaints about it, and Wyze does nothing to make it better.

So those two wires aren’t the one that you mentioned that were specifically wrapped? If not, I think I will try moving it back to the back of the garage. If it does go wonky with resolving the QR code I can always move it back. Thanks!

No, not surprised about the shipping issue at all.

I know I must be looking right at it, but I cannot find the scheduling and automation for the garage door controller… ??

They are in Rules.

2 Likes