Forgotten Sensors (dead batteries)

There may be hope! Good stuff first…story later. Hopefully someone can replicate this. I’ve been able to twice but with the same device.

1. Remove battery if not already removed.
  2. (Tricky part) Push and hold reset button while inserting battery.
  3. LED should blink once if successful and 3 slow flashes when pushing reset button instead of 5 quick flashes (at least this was my experience) and scan in Home Assistant will acquire the sensor complete with a MAC address.
    Let us all know your results if you try this please! Now for the story.

I’m here because, like most of you, I encountered a dead sensor though mine was after dropping it during installation. I just purchased a starter kit a week ago and was installing a door contact tonight when I dropped it which instantly triggered the 3 flashes every 10 seconds. After finding out that means low battery I discovered it was no longer reporting state in Home Assistant so searched some more and ended up here. Having been in networking for years i knew that MAC addresses are “burned in” and should still be there regardless of available power. I’ve also been working with a wide variety of electronics since I was a child and have encountered several little start up tricks (30/30/30 etc). It seemed to me that the sensor was stuck in a “state” or hung if you will so I thought I’d try depressing the reset button while powering up the sensor and it worked. I was hesitant to brick the sensor again in order to replicate the process but the decision was made for me as I think it’s got a [Mod Edit] battery connection. I hope it works for more than just me. Peace!

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like