Finally saying goodbye to Wyze

No, none of the above. Mostly Robert Wagner creepy weird. He does come off sort of, kind of, maybe normalized though, sorta.

The first half is a light biopic documentary and then it goes deep into her death.

Nothing about the purported rape by Douglas either…

Oh, one more thing. Wyze Wyze Wyze.

Hey man I’m clearly talking about Wyze. I don’t self censor. Much.

Aaaand… now I’m completely done!

I kept one Wyze Cam and a Sense kit while I await the launch of the cameras I’d like to replace my Wyze ones with, honestly though, I’ve decided I’m better off with no cameras.

After replacing the battery in one of the contact sensor it suddenly can’t be added back to the bridge. The bridge’s reset button was also disabled in a FW update by some rocket scientist (image a Wyze product without a reset button :upside_down_face:). Eventually ended up tossing the Sense kit in the bin after a week an no reply from customer support. Also, did I mention this happened 7 days after the warranty expired?

Now, after the latest FW update the camera has a purple or green hue depending on the lighting. After Google Home complained the stream is not available for the millionth time, and I had to relink the Wyze skill for the millionth time, I’ve decided it isn’t worth the effort. I tossed the Wyze Cam in the bin too.

I’m sorry Wyze… It’s just less stress to lock the door and hope for the best while I’m gone.

6 Likes

Want to throw your cam to my bin here Canada?

1 Like

I wish I could haha

Feeling blessed I don’t have most of these issues only problem I have is notifications are not consent or just non existent then they are back but overall happy I’m with everyone else with all the random products even tho I bought them all the lock has been flawless that auto lock is nice with kids at home Auto Unlock works 95+% of the time the keypad has always worked scale is cool unnecessary but cool the band is cool but has connection issues again unnecessary for them

3 V2s, 1 early access sense kit, two additional motion sensors and the early access lock are all working well for me. The only notable issues I have had in the past are with the sense items that have occured on various firmwares but I have found that the bridge in a V2 running firmware version 4.9.5.111 to pretty reliable (I probably trigger the sensors 100+ times a day). Never had any SD cards (all non wyze) corrupted or any items die. I don’t have the greatest internet ( 300 down/15 up) I don’t have the greatest router or a mesh system (tp-link archer c9 AC1900 from 2015) and am probably up to around 30 connected devices at any given time. Pretty average setup I think. I’m quite happy with my wyze items and the performance/functionality I get for the value.

I’m glad I’m seeing this post. Not sure if Wyze pays attention to these after they start getting old but I will say this.

I’m closing in on my return window on these cameras. I was actually eyeing the Kasa spot cameras first but ultimately went with Wyze. I do like Wyze but there are some limitations no doubt.

I see the Kasa KC105 cameras in stock around my local Best Buys and may take a look at these.

They seem to have the features that I need like shared permissions settings, frustration free streaming to Google Home hub, micro sd card playback, and good integration with their smart plugs.

This is not a shot at Wyze but also looks like TP-Link is focused on Kasa products for smart home and automation and not other products to compete for their resources such as smart Band and scale. Sorry that is a plus to me. It also looks like they make their own cameras and firmware (if you don’t know what I mean google search Wyze and Xiaomi).

Thanks for steering me towards Kasa @Daniel_SA

According to business 101, anything that makes money and allows you to support the “Brand” is appropriate since it lets you get through financial “Brand” crisis. These guys are just following business 101. I don’t see that they can be faulted for that. Now if they were just not making money from masks and thermometers then it would be a different story: but they are.

Question: Should government staff be the only one’s making money from their stipulations that everyone should wear masks.

Yeah, paranoia is a bitch, stress wise. For all my years in SA (40+) in home security, electric fences are the only solution (and perhaps backed up by e.g. Princeton Security drive-by’s and panic button) - pay the money; there are NO other solutions for you to relieve your anxiety.

Don’t blame the tools; as in “a bad worker always blames his tools”. Wyse never has, and never will, say it was a security solution for situations like SA, where some people live in fear. As I pointed out to you when you first put your thoughts forward, you are trying to use the wrong tool: pure and simple, and it cannot be improved to be the right tool. You are using a saw when you need a hammer. Don;t blame the tool.

1 Like

No argument there!

But as a casual observer of the mask/thermometer situation, it seemed to me that there were suddenly a whole lot of threads about people either not receiving the masks, or not being happy with the quality of the masks. Gwendolyn was having to jump in with a whole lot of apologies and shipping updates, etc.

Also, the whole multi-level marketing offer for masks just seemed odd to me. Sure, not every company can offer to donate free masks for the COVID crisis, but there’s a fine line between making a normal profit and opportunistic profiteering. It’s just the look of the thing.

It if all made enough money to keep Wyze afloat and continuing to support all of the products that millions of customers have purchased from them, then excellent.

But, in my perception it diluted the brand, made me question their financial stability, and made me think twice about any future large purchases.

3 Likes

Yes. Psych 101. Perception is reality. I was trying to change your perception.
Only Wyze bosses know the reality.

Unless you would like to bankrupt them then I think you should continue to buy their products. According to their emails they are that close . Up to you, it’s your money.

Um, this should be obvious but a “brand” is nothing BUT perception! They’re the ones that are blowing it. You can’t argue that his perception is mistaken or change the impact the company’s actions had.

For me a big positive attribute is that they generally try to do the right thing by customers and allow relatively free and open exchanges on their forum.

Saying we as individuals are going to bankrupt them by choosing other products? That’s preposterous. What happens to this company is entirely on its management in every way.

3 Likes

The opposite really.
The products have already been paid for. WYZE got the money.
If you stop using the products WYZE no longer has to spend money to support your product. No cloud, tech support or even forum bandwidth.
Maybe we could all help WYZE by abandoning them? :grinning:

2 Likes

Wyze start to charging user for the person detection, a nail to the brand coffin.

If Apple found that they had copied codes and sells. That is the final nail to Wyze brand and products.

I’m getting close to this point too. I have about 6 cameras, two bulbs and a sense and I am just tired of having to constantly troubleshoot them / fix niggles. It’s a real pity as Wyze is almost there, they just constantly fall at the last hurdle (quality).

Wyze quality control, problems?
I check Wyze Amazon reviews from time to see what problems new users are having.
I make no claims for the accuracy of the following:

Typically, about 10-20% of Amazon buyers leave feedback. There’s really no reason for them to do so."

As of today, Amazon is showing 44,300 reviews of the Wyze V2 White Cam.
If Amazon is to be believed, they have sold ~220,000 to 440,00 White V2 Cams on Amazon.
Wyze has ~ 83% 4 and 5-star reviews, and ~9% 1-star reviews.
That is a ratio of 9 to 1, good to bad.
My question is : Do 83% of Wyze buyers have great routers, great phones, great SD cards etc. Or, do the malcontents (like me) all have crap systems and few brains.
Or GF, do one out of 8 or more Wyze Cams actually have some hardware issues?
I assume all of the “happy” folk are using the same software as us, so I have to conclude there are hardware quality control issues.
This has been my experience with inexpensive Chinese electronics bought on Amazon, Banggood, etc. The products with the highest ratings have the highest quality control even if their products are actually not as good as some competitors’ products that when working, work better. The Yi Home cams review ratio is about 6 to 1 good to bad, yet my 3 Yi cams have been flawlessly reliable compared to my 4 Wyze cams. Lucky with Yi, unlucky with Wyze? Yes, today my Wyze Cameras are working fine, but that never seems to last long.

I think it’s another wrinkle actually. Somebody spends $26, aims at a QR code, sets up the camera, and says “hey that’s a pretty good picture for 20 bucks”. Then they play with the app and things seem pretty cool. They write a positive review.

Maybe a few days later they start having the kind of problems we’re always b—hing about. They try a few fixes, and maybe they give up. They’re out $26 and the thing still kind of works. Why bother amending the review?

This is a very low friction investment. The question is whether Wyze is okay with being a pet rock phenomenon instead of a trusted brand in home security. Oh that’s right, I used the S word.

4 Likes

I have 3 wyze camera V2s. Never really had any issue with them. I’ve had a few problems with wyze sense in the past but it is pretty stable for me currently. No issues with the wyze lock. In terms of wireless router I’m not really sure what is average. Is a user using an isp provided router/modem combo considered average? I’m using 5 year old TP link dual band router which was pretty budget friendly when I bought it and it is working ok with 30ish connected clients max. I have gone through all the work to select wireless channels with the least interference and setting up all my IOT devices on a separate guest network that I’ve read other users suggest.

My phones are probably above average (Samsung S7, S8, S9) , SD cards are pretty average (low priced Sandisk/Samsung).

I am a happy user, I have not left a review on amazon since I purchased everything direct from Wyze.

If one or two cameras were having problems I could understand it possibly being a hardware issue. If all 4 cameras have problems at the same time I would have to bet my money on the issue lying elsewhere.

Mine have stopped giving me any trouble since I put them here…:laughing:

6 Likes