Ethernet connection to V3 cam?

Data probably doesn’t mean Ethernet. It most likely means USB data channels, but I could easily be wrong. :grin:

The post for the device mentions very specific things that support this, including the rPi zero but doesn’t say anything about other pi hardware. Also unclear as to how you get wired Ethernet from the V3s and Pan V2s since the GitHub readme file doesn’t have a lot of specifics.

1 Like

Since the Ethernet controller is outboard via the adapter, the cam’s data port need only provide access to the video/audio streams with the hack in-between. Maybe the author could chime in here? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t think that’s correct. It’s just provides power and a data/ethernet line to a hub or router. No ethernet built-in. Think of it as an extension cord. It assumes a POE capable ethernet NIC in the device.

1 Like

I had this same problem- my wifi would not reach out to where I wanted more cameras… my solution was this- and maybe you can consider.

I used a TP-Link “Powerline Adapter” with wifi extender to expand my signal.

Basically you plug one in near the router and go ethernet into the router… and then you plug the 2nd powerline adapter into a plug at your farthest point from the router/closest to where you want your signal. If you’re not familiar, it sends ethernet over your electrical circuits. So you go from router->powerline adapter (ethernet cable)->over the power lines in your home->other powerline adapter plugged into any other plug->which broadcasts its own Wifi signal (and also has an option to plug an ethernet cable into it for hard wire as well.

I went from literally having no signal a few feet outside of my house to being able to connect my cams wirelessly across an entire pasture so I can monitor my fields/chicken coops/etc. I was actually shocked how far this $60-70 piece of equipment expanded my wifi signal.

One of the powerline adapters is plugged in at my living room where my router is, and the other one is plugged into an outlet in my garage.

I was literally considering going to more drastic measures to bring internet out to my shed/barn area like heavy duty blaster antennas or running ethernet/fiber cable underground. Glad that worked out perfectly. Let me know if you need more info.

2 Likes

Ahhh, you are correct. I was wondering how some of my devices that I use that adapter on even work. I looked up the specs and they all have a NIC tied to the USB ports.

I originally tried those as well but they wouldn’t work for me. Couldn’t get a solid power line connection between the devices. Still not sure why they wouldn’t work but I put the wifi/power line in my garage and the other near my router but could never get the camera to connect well, if at all.

Good to know. If my (not so new now) router gives out, I will keep that in mind.

So some questions to all monitoring this post. In order to get a Wyze camera to work with POE (at least for the moment) you would need a special USB adapter (one with USB C if you can find it), ethernet cable installed to the location where you want the camera, a waterproof enclosure for ethernet adapter, a POE injector, hub or switch and then some device to potentially record the video. Why not just buy POE cameras specifically designed for this task and an NVR? I bought Amcrest cameras for $49 each, an Amcrest NVR for $170 with a disk drive from e-Bay (new) and a POE hub for $40. Not sure there is any cost savings using Wyze cams and, besides, the Amcrest cameras are specifically designed for this purpose.

If Wyze built in POE that would be one thing, but having to buy a bunch of stuff to make it work seems like an awful lot of work for little gain. Any thoughts?

4 Likes

I’m putting you in the DM speed dial for when I install my next system at the farm! Great stuff :cowboy_hat_face: @WildBill!

1 Like

For me specifically I haven’t found anything that comes close to wyze with the color night vision and also I like that their cameras are small and bot an eyesore. But they’re always dropping connections because my house is all concrete.

2 Likes

Thanks, been doing this for quite sometime. Right now I’m bored. Got a bum knee and can’t get around. Waiting to schedule replacement with a new, bionic one in September.

:angry:

2 Likes

Thanks for this my v3’s data over Ethernet works great…

I just installed yesterday on V3. Both Power and Data over Ethernet work as advertised.

2 Likes

From documentation:

USB Ethernet Adapter support:

ENABLE_USB_ETH="true"
ENABLE_USB_ETH_MODULE_AUTODETECT="true"
ENABLE_USB_ETH_MODULE_MANUAL=""

To have the Ethernet NIC be auto-detected and loaded automatically, set the ENABLE_USB_ETH_MODULE_AUTODETECT value to true.

To load a specific USB Ethernet NIC driver, set ENABLE_USB_ETH_MODULE_MANUAL to one of the following: asix, ax88179_178a, cdc_ether, r8152

You need an ethernet adaptor for this to work, but it does work. I posted what I did here, along with the adapter I am using: List of working LAN adapters · gtxaspec/wz_mini_hacks · Discussion #73 · GitHub

1 Like

I can confirm that the V3 supports data and power over it’s single USB port. With this hack: GitHub - gtxaspec/wz_mini_hacks: wz camera mods... make your camera better. and this ethernet adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5X9795, I am getting V3 data over an ethernet connection which is also providing the power. I haver verified that I am able to ssh into the V3 via the ethernet adapter’s IP address (and not the cam’s wifi address).

2 Likes

Interesting. I wouldn’t know the first thing on how to make that happen with mine.

These hacks definitely aren’t for the faint of heart. Fortunately for me, I have experience working with the DaFang Hack on my V2 cameras. I bought several V3 cameras early on, but because I live in a highly dense wifi area, I’ve had endless connectivity problems. I had just about given up on Wyze until this hack came along – which solves my biggest problem with these cams.

2 Likes

Good for you! Well, ever since I got a new router with that is supposed to got up to 200’ (if I remember correctly), I haven’t had that many problems staying connected.

Thank you. And all this is while maintaining Wyze app functionality including cloud person detection? Or does one need to use an RTSP client?

All this while maintaining Wyze app functionality. I do not know about cloud person detection because I don’t know how that works, but I do know that the cam’s full connection to Internet is through ethernet adaptor, and not wifi. And, in my setup, everything appears to work the same, including docker-wyze-bridge, which I am still using for RTSP.

And, to your other question, RTSP is NOT required for POE and data over Internet connection.

1 Like