Ethernet connection to V3 cam?

Don’t think so? If that were true how would it work with the spotlight? The smart socket? The promised Ethernet adapter?

1 Like

The only physical connection it has, that I know of, is the power cord. Then it connects to the phone app via wifi.

So, if I did set up a wifi booster/router out in the chicken coop, what would the ethernet cable be connected to in the house? Thanks.

An Ethernet port on your main router (ideally).

And that V3 power cord IS USB as far as I understand.

Ohhh right, it is. It plugs into the little power adapter thingy.

Thanks. I’m going to see if my son-in-law can help me with the router idea.

1 Like

Definitely USB, probably no data lines and not implemented as such on the V3 for use as USB device.

Again, gotta be data or it wouldn’t work with the smart accessories - spotlight, socket, and the new floodlight too.

We went through the same doubt with the V2s - it has data too.

Agree with that, but the cable probably is missing the data lines. Wyze provides specific cables, at least for the new floodlight and says not to use the cables that come with the cameras.

Sorry I don’t understand that? The V3 has a hardwired connector.

yes and no…short adapter hardwired to the camera and a longer “power cord” to the power adapter (USB A one end, USB C on the other.) The longer cable is power only, I believe.

2 Likes

Sounds like wyze is going to have to epically fail and make a huge mistake before we will ever be offered a working usb to Ethernet adapter.

They know its a requested feature and V2 and V3 should have the capability.

I imagine if we ever get it it’s going to be in one of 2 scenarios.

A FEATURE in the V4 or as I said prior they will epically mess something up and release it alongside the patch or during the wait for the patch as a new improvement.

Well, I got a new wifi router and that did the trick. I’m able to connect with that all the way to the chicken coop, but not IN the coop. As soon as I got inside it stopped. I guess because of all the chicken wire and added hardware cloth. So I’m just leaving the baby monitor on the inside and put the wyze cam on the outside and all seems to be going well so far.

Wyze will never make this happen they just don’t care about what the customer wants.

1 Like

The wz_mini_hacks solves this problem by not requiring any change to the camera’s firmware: GitHub - gtxaspec/wz_mini_hacks: wz camera mods... make your camera better.

The wz_mini_hacks will allow you to provide POE and Internet access via ethernet cable without requiring any change to the camera’s firmware: GitHub - gtxaspec/wz_mini_hacks: wz camera mods... make your camera better.

That readme file sounds too good to be true. Does all of that still work? Not killed off?

1 Like

Not sure how you got POE from the README. Nor do I see wired Ethernet for the V3 or Pan V2 since they don’t have USB ports and the documentation lists the following:

Supports the following USB Ethernet adapters:

ASIX AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters
    ASIX AX88179/178A USB 3.0/2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet
    Realtek RTL8152 Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters
1 Like

Hmm, looks as if this is another way to go - PoE input to USB power and data.

https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Raspberry-Ethernet-Chromecast-Compliant/dp/B0876N3PMZ

1 Like

A caveat from the vendor:

The device to be used with needs to support both Ethernet and power over a single Micro-USB connector.

Do the Wyze cameras support this?

Also, though probably not important, it’s only 100mb.

2 Likes

The v3 supports data and power over a single USB. Not sure about Ethernet, but I assume the hack is supposed to support this.

I have a gigabit adapter from Plugable, but don’t really feel like testing this hack out.

3 Likes