Different Alert Sound for Wyze Notifications

Is there any way to have the app generate different alerts and assign separate tones to specific devices. Reference, the more devices I obtain I’m constantly getting alerts from wyze, to the point they getting dismissed because they are so frequent. I would like to be able to set up the doorbell with its own unique alert to distinguish it from the ac, vacuum, sprinkler, etc. (Things that I still want to know but don’t require that immediate response). Even certain cameras

It would even be nice to have it set up as like an incoming call. If someone depresses the button it pops up with the live feed and an accept or decline button.

2 Likes

Good luck. They say this has been solved but they must be keeping it a secret on how it was accomplished. I have put Wyxe on hold for buying any more of their products until this issue is resolved with a positive fix. Would love to be able to add a couple of the new pan 2’s to my collection but I do not need more notifications going off that I cannot differentiate between notification sounds.

2 Likes

Good luck indeed. What good is a security system if you can’t tell the difference between a doorbell and a watch? They say it is “in development” but that has been their line now for ages. Sad, but like you, hard to buy more products when the software lacks basic functionality.

2 Likes

Pretty sad that such a fundamental feature has been promised for several years and is still missing. I like Wyze but this is really a very fundamental issue. I can’t accept that Wyze notifies me of a burglar in my home me the same way and with the same urgency that Amazon tells me some package was shipped.

4 Likes

I’m not trying to be funny, honest question. What kind of alert might you expect or want? Something like an Amber Alert or Weather Emergency? Something else? I haven’t gotten the HMS yet, but plan to any minute,… so I haven’t given notifications much thought.

I don’t mind answering you, Lugh. In Gmail, for example, I have several email accounts and I’ve recorded little prompts to tell me which email account has received an email. In my case, I have “personal email” and each work email recorded as voice prompts and I know instantly not just that I have an email but which email account and I can make a more informed decision about whether I want to drop what I’m doing to deal with this.

Similarly, I have two Wyze cams at my office and several at home. I’m a small operation so if I’m not the one opening the door at the office, someone is breaking in. I also have a camera monitoring our cat’s feeding area to make sure the automatic feeder did its job at the correct time. I want to record “Office Camera” and “Cat Camera” (or maybe “Lola Camera” in our case) so that I can know if I’m dealing with a burglar or just a hungry cat.

This isn’t an uncommon usage or an uncommon feature. I have done this for many apps, including tiny one-developer apps. It is especially critical to be able to do this for a camera app, and very importantly, other camera apps let you do this. Wyze needs to catch up, and quit promising things for years that they haven’t delivered.

4 Likes

Different settings for different alerts, such as:

camera alerts single ring
HMS Alarm is a siren
other alerts vibrate only

helps you differentiate what the notification is, I don’t want the same alert if my baby move in the crib as someone breaking into my house

2 Likes

Also an option to have a different sound for the doorbell! Motion from a camera, or even different cameras, vacuum, but especially the doorbell should be different!

Different sounds need to be set per device in the Wyze App (Android is what I am using). I have a unique sound set in Android for notifications from the Wyze App. It plays this sound for notifications from any Wyze device. For example, I have 2 Wyze doorbells at my residence and 1 Wyze doorbell at my vacation home. Every doorbell should cause a different user settable sound. Regular doorbells have always had different sounds for the front door or the back door. This is a MAJOR need. I( also get the same notification sound from the doorbells and any Wyze Cameras I have. I have Wyze Cameras at both my residence and my vacation house. I need to know immediately from the sound what device it is coming from and which house the device is in.

I’m curious, are you able to choose different dingdongs for the chimes for the two at your home at least?

This could end up being the longest thread of an unsolved request from Wyze customers. I have put a hold on purchasing any more of their products until this issue is resolved. As I see it they are worthless as a security device if you cannot set a custom ring tone for each one.

2 Likes

I, too, am purchasing no more Wyze products til this feature is added, AND I am no longer recommending it to anyone, if they need more than one camera.
Funny, when I started typing this reply, a box popped up saying that this issue is solved. If so, Wyze needs to let us know how we find more info.

Note, I’ve been experimenting with FilterBox and got it working somewhat, but when I tried to set certain events/notifications to override DND (do not disturb), I somehow now am NOT getting a voice msg (my voice) for the one camera I was testing with. The overall process for creating a voice/sound file and then tying that to an event/notification, and setting options like “override DND” is convoluted because I’m dealing with 3 differents places in my Android phone:

1. notifications in android settings
  2. wyze app
  3. FilterBox

FilterBox is powerful and can help you manage all notifications on your phone, and even has a scheduler, however, it apparently needs an “override DND” feature, so as of this writing, is not the solution I’m looking for.

Another poster mentioned using IFTTT with the OutLoud app, but the lags in IFTTT responding makes it not useful for me.

2 Likes

Between the contacts app and the phone app, I have no problem having the phone ring a different ringtone for people that call me the most. I know from the sound who is calling me. It is obvious that an Android App can decide to produce multiple different sounds. The phone app just uses the contacts app to store the reference to the sound file (ringtone) to be played for a specific person. The WYZE App should be able to have a setup screen where you pick the sound file for each device and event on that device. Note: as a first step, at least have a sound file selection for each device (not device type, I have 2 CAM V2 cameras. They should be able to cause different sounds when an event happens. I could at least tell which doorbell or camera it is. In a future upgrade, maybe you could set unique sounds for each type of event on a device. But they need to get the “sound per device” part going ASAP. I would not recommend WYZE cameras or doorbells to anyone dthe way they operate currently. WYZE is expanding with new products too fast to have time to get the ones that they already have really ready for primetime. I have a number of their products. All properly registered and such. Now it is telling me one of my Cam V2s in invalid. It was working fine until some update came along. I bought 3 WYZE smart locks. They will not setup. The Wyze App cannot find the lock gateway device on Bluetooth. My Bluetooth in my phone see the lock gateway. I mention this off topic situation to reinforce the fact that their products cannot be recommended and they have so many MAJOR bugs in what they have released. I spent 4 hours on a Chat about the Wyze lock problem and was left with NO Solution or anything about what to do next. The bug is so major that it was way beyond the understanding of Chat personnel, even the supervisor.

1 Like

An Issue should not be marked as “Solved” until the new feature or bug has been fixed and beta tested and is in the current published version of the Wyze App and is available for customer use. It should only be in a “Solution is in active development” phase. Telling customers that the problem is “Solved” makes them think that it must be in the Wyze App somewhere, but they cannot figure out how to use the solution.

5 Likes

MillBill, I’m curious. When you replied here to this topic, did you also get the popup box “This topic has been solved”?

Re Wyze setup… I only have cameras and 3 sensors on a V2, plus a couple of Wyze outlets, and I am impressed with how they setup, having used IP cameras for a long time, from a variety of vendors, since they appeared on the market.

Wanna give Wyze props for that, I don’t want to imply that Wyze products are ‘bad’, but the notification sound feature, if they get it right, will really impress me.

Note, per my earlier post re FilterBox, that Android app is just intercepting notifications from any app or even the Android system itself, and when setting up your rules, you can specify what words or phrases to look for and then either dismiss the notification, or do something else, like play a sound file of your choosing, even one that you made on your phone, like using your own voice.

The gotcha is that, even though the FilterBox user interface is pretty good, it still needs improvement in the overall process, and a way to override DoNotDisturb, because for some cameras, and my sensors, I wanna know if they get a ‘hit’ no matter what time it is.

If FilterBox can make a few enhancements, then Wyze need not bother with custom notifications, IMHO.

The Wyze app on my Android phone has two catergories of notifications: message and general. I wondered what general was, since it’s not explained, typical for phone apps with little or no explanations. I created a custom sound for general and now I know that category is just for promotions, so I turned it off, making my phone a little more quiet.

In Android… Settings >Notifications >Wyze

2 Likes

Default sound tone for notification/alert is “Ding” that is not strong enough. This caused missing important event when CAM V3 detect intruder.

Wish Wyze App developer can provide more sound tone for notification/alert to choose.

Yes… Also because there are some in unique situations who would not necessarily cost an alarm sound to notify off intruder on cam.

There’s a new notification alert sound for the door lock when the door is jammed. It’s kind of a rude buzzy sound.

Sorry, I am talking about notification/alert sound tone for Wyze Cam V3 only. The alert tone is not strong enough that caused missing important event.

Thank you and regards,

Horace