Change WiFi Network Name (SSID) and password without device reset

This is true. I’ve done it several times.
The real problem is with high mounted cameras and cameras in enclosures.

1 Like

I know! I’ve updated most of my cameras but I have four left, all high mounted and all in enclosures!

There seriously is no way to do this other than to reset each of my (many) cameras? Please tell me this isn’t true …

1 Like

Sorry the only way would be delete and reset or keep wifi name the same.

This is true.

It’s true. One of the problems with these cameras and the fact that they take for ever to warm up to see a live picture.

As someone who changes their wifi password periodically, I do not understand why a factory reset is required for all bulbs on the network. This is crazy to me. The network is secure, the app is password protected. I want to add these bulbs to most rooms around the house but I am now reconsidering.

For example, my bedroom has four bulbs in a group that I program to come on each morning, off when I leave the house and on again near my bed time. So, when I changed my wifi password, I had to

1. Reset the bulbs with the light switch.
  1. Reconnect each separate bulb to the app.
  2. Recreate the group “Bedroom” for these bulbs.
  3. Recreate the sleep and wake timers I had for this group.
  4. Recreate the Google Home bedroom option for this group,

Now imagine doing that for several rooms, plus cameras plus thermostats. Crazy.

You really don’t have to do all of those steps.
If you re-add the bulbs to the app they will go back to the groups they were in.

As far as I know all bulbs work the same from other manufacturers.

Why change your Wifi password? Are you giving it out to people then changing your mind? :blush:

We are not generally very computer savvy but we use our Wyze camera as a baby monitor and it would be hella convenient if there was a way to save regular networks or be able to change networks through the app. That way when we use it at the grandparents house or stay at an Airbnb for the weekend it’s an easy switch when we get back home to select our regular network.

I’m not sure I follow this, but it sounds like a workaround. Explain like I’m 5 please? :slight_smile:

Essentially he changed the SSID for his 5.0 Ghz Wifi but left the 2.4 Ghz as it was.
This has no effect at all on Wyze or any other 2.4 Ghz product.

1 Like

here it is august 2021& this is still true - it has been recommended that i delete cameras & reset home base.

What?!

Are you talking about deleting your cameras in the App? Why would you do this? It simply doubles or triples the work you’d have to do.

To adapt to a new SSID (or Password?) you MUST reset each camera individually regardless of what you do in the App.

But if you leave them alone in your App, once they connect to the [new] router, they’ll automatically reconnect with their App configurations.

2 Likes

Reference the @InspectorGadget post from Feb. I followed these instructions several months ago when I changed routers and had success.

Thanks for the follow up.
i have cam outdoor cameras & a home base. cameras connect to base & no wifi setting on camera. i have added a mesh network so new ssid. Tried their steps to change ssid on home base via app that didn’t work. it does everything as if it’s updating then still shows old ssid name.
per the wyze email when i asked rep indicated i’ll have to remove all & add back. seems quite tedious.

followed their steps & unfortunately wyze can’t manage to connect to new mesh system - even though mesh does route 2.4 & 5. everything else requiring 2.4 in my household has connected just fine. very disappointing

How this can be done safely (aka network produces need access to the network):

1. Have a setting for a Primary Network and a Fallback Network.
  2. On restart, the primary network is tried, if not available, then the Backup/Fallback network is used.
  3. Changing the SSID (or even changing the wifi password) would be simply adding adding a new Primary Network and leaving the current network as the Fallback.
  4. The settings would require ONE of these two networks to be the active one.

I need to update my wifi password (neighbor is borrowing access). It’s crazy I have reset all my devices and lose all my settings just to update my password. I even have a bunch of devices in domes outside that require ladders and tools to physically access.

You don’t lose your settings.

I have several bulbs, outlets and water sensors from other brands that require the same procedure if I change network settings. It’s not unique to Wyze. Still, doesn’t make it fun.

Anyone else want the ability to update the WiFi on all the cameras at once? Right now you have individually go through and reset cameras up to update the WiFi. Not just camera any of the WiFi connected devices you have to do this for. There needs to be a way in the app to change the WiFi for the whole group of items we have. I only have 8 items and that a hassle as it is to change the WiFi

4 Likes

Yes, yes, yes. It’s the same issue with their bulbs, with no means of making group-wide changes.

1 Like