Change WiFi Network Name (SSID) and password without device reset

I would just like the ability to change WIfi in device settings with QR code as a backup. Almost all of my other IOT devices allow for this option. QR Code is fine for the easy to reach but IMO creates extra work for hard to reach. I rolled out a dedicated Wifi VLAN for Wyze devices and I probably could have rolled out this change to all of my cameras in less than 1/4 of the time had this option been available.

2 Likes

I agree, we need a secure remote management capability. Changing the network, reboot the cam, etc.

1 Like

This has been on the #wishlist since May 2019 with 177 votes but status is ā€œmaybe-laterā€ :unamused:

1 Like

Thatā€™s not bad compared to the PC app wishlist item. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Letā€™s not rush them, theyā€™re busy. Iā€™ve heard rumors of a smart toaster and a robot that can mix a mean Bourbon Old Fashioned.

1 Like

Sign me up for that Bourbon mixing robot! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Oh sure, bourbon. Again no support for Canadians.
Iā€™ll bet I can come up with a rum hack.

1 Like

I think the US Navy already has one, the 1958 RUM Remote Underwater Manipulator

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m looking for as well. There must be a config file some where in the cams to tell it link to the SSID. We just need to know how to manipulate it from the ground, outside the case. So many apps use 2 step auth. nowadays why do we not have this option for cam configurations, this is so arse backwards. Wyze needs to spend more time on this cam rather than expanding into other sub par products. Seems that this CEO wants to be the new ANKER?!?

Iā€™d love to be able to change the wifi setting via the phone app instead of having to manually interact with the device.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same boat. I have 10 cameras all mounted in enclosures. Iā€™ve installed a new WiFi network but still have the old one working. Either solution would help me not disassemble TEN SCREWED-TOGETHER ENCLOSURES.

• Remote setup reset through the app
  • Network change QR code reading on-the-fly

Hereā€™s votingā€¦

1 Like

In your situation, why not use the same SSID and password on your new Wifi?

Great point, Angus, and Iā€™ve done that in the past. And had I thought it through I might have done that this time also.

The difference was that this was my first install of a mesh router system and I didnā€™t know what the setup issues would be so I set it up in parallel and did my initial testing without disrupting the other users in my household.

The other issue was that the old router had 2 SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5GHz. The new mesh routers figure out the band automatically so I would have left half the devices behind regardless.

Not to mention I would have had to name it with the ā€œ-2.4ā€ suffix of the old SSID that served the cameras, so the name would have been kind of misleading.

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t actually use the same SSID with the new WiFi because the new WiFI wouldnā€™t let me create a new wifi network with the password that I had used with the old router.

Iā€™m hoping thigs go smoothly for me since I just ordered a new mesh system. One advantage Iā€™m hoping Iā€™ll have is that my current non-mesh router doesnā€™t use separate SSID names for the 2.4 and 5Gz bands, they both have the same exact name.

That sounds strangeā€¦ How did the new WiFi router even know what the old SSID/password was? Was it mediated on a companyā€™s website? I hear the Eero systems are really intrusive in the information they record and the role they play in the router setup. Thatā€™s why I went with the TP-Link ā€œDecoā€ system. Itā€™s more economical, and itā€™s all locally maintained.

But with non-mesh routers, twice in the past Iā€™ve set up the new router with exactly the same SSID and PW as the old one successfully.

I think he means the new router wouldnā€™t accept the format of his existing Wifi password. Maybe too short.
So if the password has to change the SSID may as well change.

1 Like

Wish there is an easier way to enter a new/revised password via the app instead of doing a reset altogether.

1 Like

Would like to update wifi settings in app instead of manually pressing reset on camera

1 Like

FYI,

I talked with a Wyze representative back in January and confirmed that there is no way to change any of the WiFi settings without a physical reset of the device with the reset button.

On the plus side, it apparently recognizes the MAC address, and if you give it the same camera name, after the re-configuration/re-installation, it will assume all of your past settings. So hit the reset, click ā€œAddā€ a camera, follow the steps of getting the barcode and showing it to your camera (to give it the new WiFi information), and then name it the same name when it asks, and youā€™ll have a seamless experience.

And FYI I named it something different on one of my cameras, and after realizing my mistake I edited the camera settings and renamed it to the old camera, and it still had all the old settings.

Hope this helps a little bit. I told the rep that I wish they either had the ability to update the WiFi settings through the app, or in the very least, allow us to trigger the reset from within the app.

Regards,
John

6 Likes