Can Wyze Cam Record to SD Card Without Internet Connection?

This is not a lack of a feature but rather a bug that needs to be squashed. I’m aware it’s been along time and I don’t really have any info about why it’s taken so long. However, I do know that it was pushed back due to some technical issues, but that they are actively working on it again now. Sorry I don’t have any more info to offer.

Hi Loki,

Many thks for your feed-back.

Now the µSD recording in all cases, including a context when after configuration, the Internet access is lost for whatever duration, is a major feature of Wyze Cam V2… and the main reason I bought several of these.

Now and as this bug has been here since at least the beginning of 2019, I think that either this problem is resolved rapidly, aka not next year… either a clear mention somewhere should indicate that for the time being, the Wyze Cam V2 doesn’t have the capacity to record on µSD, without a continuous Interne access.

Brgds,

L.

The issue is noted when the Wyze cam is powered down and then brought back up without an internet connection, such as powering off the router. . This is different from keeping the Wyze cam powered on and turning off the router.

Maybe let’s not market them to record on an SD card w/o WiFi?

…because the 3Pans and 5 white cubes placed in the windows are just expensive theft deterrents…that hold empty memory cards.

Back to our regularly scheduled DVRrecordings of spiderweb cam on the BNC wired NightOwls :expressionless:

So it’s been 4 months since the last time this thread has been updated. I’m kind of surprised there has not been more fuss raised about this.

I’ve tested it just today and I was using this in the parking lot in my car via a power bank and there was nothing being recorded the whole day since I plugged it in. So the behavior is still the same that you need internet or else it won’t record onto the local SD card.

So what can be done to make it so I can record without internet?

Currently it will record just fine as long as it can contact the internet once after power up, after that it will record fine until power is lost again. It has been awhile since I tested this but I will be testing it again tomorrow.

2 Likes

This is a very disappointing bug or change in the code. I was hoping to use these cameras in at least one instance without wifi constantly available or to be able to turn it on and it start recording to the sd card even if there is not internet connection initially. I have not tested it yet, but this could mean that even if it is connected to the internet initially and then there is a power failure at the home that if the internet connection is not re-established immediately by the router or not at all then the cameras will not longer be recording.
It would also be awesome if this camera could be configured to record to a local network storage instead of just to the SD card.

In the post directly above yours, as Jason21271 has said, the only workaround is to have the internet connected when you power it on, then it will continue to record until the power goes out.

So, yeah, I guess the only choice is to keep the cam connected to a UPS. Disappointing :confused:

Ok. I like to rent cabins in the mountains. They always have restrictions on the internet data usage. So basically, I can not use my camera over night. What I was thinking was to use something like a mini travel wifi router. Set up my Wyze camera to continuously record and then turn the travel router off. Then I can turn the router on the next day and check my video.
What you folks think? Plausible ? Thanks everyone

Why not use your phone as a mobile hotspot? It only needs to be connected when the cam is powered on. Afterwards you can turn off the hotspot and it will continue to record onto the sd card. If you don’t have an SD card then it won’t work. Also do you even get reception there with your phone?

Reading the data from the card will be more tricky. Yeah you could turn on your phones hotspot but it’ll probably eat up all your data if you’re just viewing videos. You’re better off popping the card out and reading the files from a computer or phone the popping the card back in when you’re done.

At this point you might as well get a non wyze cam since this product doesn’t suit your purposes.

Yes, we have it on a freight elevator, only first floor has WIFI so then is when it sends the clips or able to connect with the app, it does keep recording

1 Like