Can someone in the know please advise WHY Amazon no longer supports Wyze Cams on Alexa app?

Hm, very odd. My v3s are listed as “Live view not supported” in the Alexa app, but work if calling them up on Alexa Show 8. The other cameras (v2s and Pan) has nothing listed and works even in the app.

I suspect that “Live view not supported” means "can’t view the camera inside the Alexa app.

That is definitely true. Not sure if it means not supported on the Echo systems with screens.

1 Like

Hi. No does not means on the Echo Show systems. I can confirm that my V2 and V3’s still work on Show and Fire Tablet devices. Even call them up from routines.

1 Like

Good to know. Haven’t been using my Show as such, but glad to know cameras should display now that other issues have been fixed.

I was watching an “Automate Your Life” video last night. Brian was doing a review on sensors. One of the sensors was actually the Wyze V3 camera and he was talking about the motion detection. He added that person detection is not enabled on the motion detection sensor as a trigger unless CamPlus is enabled on that camera. Date was around last Dec, so its not a new thing.

Your routines videos still work? Asking mine to view still works, that has never stopped working, it’s the routine videos that stopped, routine announcements still work

…but when it is enabled, it is an awesome setup. I have my Alexa and Wyze cams all chatting with each other…

If someone comes on the front porch, Alexa announces, "Someone is on the front porch, and turns the front porch light on a deep blue color. I never have my two internal cameras on when I am home, but when I leave I turn them on. The front porch light turns deep red when someone is spotted in the home… So if I return home and see red lights, I know someone is either in the home, or has been in the home.

I have set a routine in Alexa, (“Secure from General Quarters”), which returns all lights back to white and full brightness.

If someone approaches my home from any direction, I am told which camera sees them, the front porch lights turn colors, and soon the rear light will echo that action… So I can tell you the automation with Alexa is working 100%.

Ok those routines work, but my problem and others here I believe have a problem with the video in the routines showing on show. From your description it doesn’t sound like you are using that?

No, just using the cams to detect issues…

Ok that has been working fine as far as I know, at least it does for me.

I am bringing this back up because I ran across something that does not make sense - to me, regarding “Live view not supported”

Please check your and see if you get the same result. When other people said here that Live view was not supported on the cams, I tried mine and it was accurate. Maybe its a recent Alexa update, or I was looking in the wrong place. Read on.

I don’t know what version of Alexa app I am on, but its the current iOS version.
This does not apply to the Wyze Cam V2. Just applies to V3 - and just some of them.
Ver 3 cam firmware 4.36.2.5
Some of my V3’s have Cam Plus. Some don’t. What I am describing doesn’t matter if its Cam Plus or not. I can’t figure out why Viewing works on some w/wo Cam Plus and some not.

When I go into Alexa app and select devices at the bottom, then moves to the Devices screen. At the top, we see the different categories. I scroll to the right about half way and see the Camera category. Press and open. Select one of the cameras that is a V3 and open In the middle of the screen is buttons for Speaker and Mic.
But there’s a red box “Live View” at the top with a an image of the live view shows. Never saw this before, going through Camera category.

I backed out of this camera and tried another V3. Another worked. I checked my Wyze app to confirm, Nope didn’t have Cam Plus, but viewing worked. Okay, on a roll now. Backed out of the second one, and tried another V3. Oops, “Live view not supported” No image. Checked firmware same as other two.

So, please check yours and see if you see the difference why viewing is supported on some V3s and not others. I say again, did not matter if camera had/has Cam Plus.

Also and separate from this:
Now, back out of this to the row of categories again. Scroll right to the end and select All Devices > scroll down to the same camera, Select the same camera and press. This skips that “view” screen and goes directly to the device details screen.

While here notice the Announcement Devices. It has a list of all the announce-able Alexa devices although only those with a screen can show the image. I went in and un-selected those with no screen. Didn’t make a difference yet as I can find, but still did it.

1 Like

I have to agree there is no consistency to which cameras work and which don’t. Today all of my cameras work, V2s and my solitary V3 but not all were functional the last time I checked. Frustrating to say the least.

2 Likes

I can not find any reason for them to work or not work. Mine have Not worked for weeks all with “live view not supported” so I gave up checking a week or so ago. After reading the above I went to check under “cameras” in the app ( IOS ) and my V3’s no longer had that message, only the doorbell did. I went in to each camera and there was a message saying “live view not RECORDED” but after a Loong wait the cameras DID load and I could see a live view and the message went away, I backed out went back in and they still worked ( quickly loading this time) with no message. I then asked Alexa Show to Show xx camera and it works! I have done nothing in any settings for this to suddenly start working and do not have high hopes that it will continue. - I have a mix of cam plus and non-cam plus - that didnt effect anything - As far as the doorbell, in the alexa app I can not view but on echo Show8 I can view ( sideways of course)

Yes, strange situation. No common denominator. A couple of mine display the Live view not supported on the screen where the Camera are divided into the groups where my devices are defined.

Also strange for a Amazon Show device. My 2nd Gen 8" appears in the group where it sits, and it says “amazon - Live view not supported”, That’s the only 2nd Gen version one I have. But my 1st Gen both 8" show and 5" show don’t even show up as having a camera. I guess they don’t, but didn’t know the 2nd Gen did.

All my v2’s & v3’s work, only the outdoor cam shows “Live view not supported”

1 Like

It is very inconsistent and confusing.
On my Echo Show I can give the voice command to Alexa to “Show Driveway” (for example, if Driveway is the name of the camera), but the same camera cannot be viewed live from within the Alexa app.

On my Amazon Fire tablet, until yesterday, I was able to view my v3 cameras on the Devices page (a shortcut icon), but not in the Alexa app. Today, I cannot view any of my v2 or v3 cameras on the Devices page.

Judging by various responses, it’s not really an issue of whether the cameras are v2 or v3. I can’t see a pattern to what’s available or not.

1 Like

@heyheyct, Okay, I may an answer for you. Mine was having same issue and now its working. So what did I do? Disable the Alexa skill and re-Enable it.

I had a net outage and a couple of devices would not “sense” whenever they came back up. Some of my Smartthing sensors were online, but did not respond. So, I disabled the Alexa skill and re-enabled it. Those started working. Same with a couple of my Wyze sensors. My Wyze camera display to Shows had already stopped working. But the disable/enable of the skill fixed all.

So, my point? If you are having odd behaviors? Disable and enable the associated skill. Good chance it will fix it.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. In my case it didn’t make any difference.

After I unwisely switched from Devices, Cameras settings to routines for Alexa person announcements, and then back again, it took at least a day for things to start working again for all cameras. I think the required Alexa background housekeeping (and/or skill links back to Wyze) are done in batches and spurts.

[ “Batches and Spurts” was one of the less successful combination dog food / candy / breakfast cereal campaigns of the early 80s. ]

2 Likes