Can someone in the know please advise WHY Amazon no longer supports Wyze Cams on Alexa app?

This is dirty, this smells dirty. RTSP [Mod Edit] firmware here, runnning with home assistant integrated into alexa, working fine. I wouldn’t doubt if a firmware update for the main fork nerfed it’s integration, in favor of more “profit” Looks like I won’t be getting a v3 anytime soon.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

I don’t think that Amazon has done anything. I posted my routines from the Alexa app earlier in this thread. They work. Cam8 is a V3. Cam11 is a V2. Cam8 uses CamPlus, Cam11 uses legacy person detection. I created both after seeing the original post.

Does anyone know if the Alexa app used to work with just motion and not person detection?

1 Like

I posted a few weeks ago my camera routines stopped working with Alex - i deleted them and recreated ect. I didnt get any replies. Still not working and i’m not in Canada either

You should be grateful there is a disconnect to a company which makes money data mining you.

Let them mine away and make $$$$$$ cause then I make $ - - there stock was a good investment…

Hi,
I got a reply from you about Amazon cutting support for my V2 & V3 cams and you made a negative statement about gettimg a V3 cam, I just want to tell you unsolicited hat the V3 Starlite Camera is the best under $50 Wifi webcam w it’s Color Night Vision capability.

Mr. Terry Gero

1 Like

WildBill,
THANK YOU, I was not aware this was available to do… Just set up several routines to announce people around my home, all work!

@WildBill, I was trying the routines you mention in this thread. Only one of my cameras has Cam Plus. The rest 6+ do not. Only the one with Cam Plus will allow me to add an action to detect. The other attempts with all the other cameras show a message that I must upgrade my Wyze plan.

Anyone else getting same result?

WildBill, do yours Cam8 and Cam11 have Cam Plus? Do you have any that do not have Cam Plus? Can you create the same routines on those even without Cam Plus?

My suspicion is that some sort of person detection is needed. I have CamPlus on just a few cameras and legacy person detection on all the V2s. It is person detection in the Alexa routines and not motion that triggers them. I think that is why everyone is having issues. I suspect that it used to be motion, not person detection that triggered the Alexa events.

I will test today if I get a chance by disabling Camplus or Person Detection on one of the cameras.

I remember when we went through beta of person detection. And it was a premium option for a little while. But didn’t it become standard?

I don’t see a setting to turn on person detection. Is simply increasing “Motion Detection Sensitivity” the key to getting person detection?

If not, how to we get person detection on V2’s and V3’s?

Go to the settings in Account-Services-Person Detection for the V2s. For the V3s Camplus is the only option.

the problem i’m having ( they were working but stopped 3 weeks ago) actually says "“Live view not supported” in the alexa app – for all the cameras- that appeared when this issue started

Ahh, but Alas Poor Yorick, I thought I knew Person Detection well.

Under services, I only get Cam Plus for the single subscription I have.

Person Detection is not an available service. I see on yours it shows Pilot. I guess you retained yours.

At least this answers the question.

Thanks

@fred987 , “Show xxx” works on mine both for V2 and V3’s. Are you running them from a routine? Check that the “From” is in fact a Fire TV stick or Alexa Show device.

If not a routine, and just voice command, are you “talking” to a Show?

Since this came up, I can’t use the camera for detection to trigger sending the view to a screen. But I have a Wyze V1 motion sensor nearby. I can create a routine that when the motion sensor is activated, it displays the camera next to it and send the view to a Fire tablet or an Alexa Show. Can’t person detect, but can motion detect.

Willbill,
In your reponse you suggested trying to activate the “Pilot Person Detection” which I did for the V2 camera and Wyze app on Alexa routines. To my shock it did show back up on the menu, though my Alexa has yet to announce the events.
I’ll keep tweeking it and thanks so much for the heads up.

Mr. Terry Gero

I would encourage you to unlink the Wyze skill from Alexa and link it back. That might reload the skill code.

1 Like

I had routines running on my Echo Show 8 which stopped working the same time the “live view not supported” happened.

The “garden” cam is V2, I do not have any motion on that, but I can say “Alexa show garden” and I get video on the Echo Show.

The “doorbell” Routine use to work- When Pressed Alexa would Say “Doorbell pressed” and show video for 3 minutes. Now I get “Doorbell pressed” and echo screen shows “waiting for wyze” then times out. If I say " alexa show doorbell" I do get streaming video. - this also has camplus

The other cams with “live view not supported” are V3 with Camplus - they DID have working routines for person detection they would say" person in driveway" and the video would stream – OR I use to be able to say “Alexa show driveway” and it would stream… Now it says “person in driveway” and the screen shows “waiting on wyze” then times out, if I currently say " alexa show driveway" she says “OK” – then times out back to the home screen (so this is a different voice activated result than the doorbell)

Was there a firmware update that installed that I dont remember ? I’m not sure, but I just now installed the firmware that came out today on 1 of the V3, no difference

1 Like

Thank you it worked

1 Like

Now you have to pay for the Cam Plus so you can use the Alexa routine with person detection.

By reading all of your messages here I have think I may know why my Wyze Cam stopped working more than 4 months ago. As I think my Wyze Cam 2 is connected to my Alexa.

I have my Wyze Cam 2 on top of my fridge pointed towards my front door of the apartment unit (was hoping it would be conspicuous). BUT unfortunately and obvious people know it is there in the kitchen. I installed it, as had feeling someone or people had been coming into my unit. BUT my cam even when connected was not picking up anyone??? I feel someone also had something to do with it becoming disconnected?

I really need for my CAM to be reconnected. I need it put somewhere else in my unit unnoticed. But where it can be plugged in - without having to use batteries to keep power.

They only thing is I am not focused and/or savvy enough to reconnect my Wyze Cam again. A friend set mine up for me… and he is no longer with us. I am desperate to get it going again. I may have to put a post on my FB timeline page to find someone in my area who is familiar with a Wyze Cam to do this for me and just make sure someone I know is here in my unit to keep me safe when and if I can find someone to do this.

Thank you for making this post? Charmaine

1 Like