Camera keeps going offline

I have a Wyze Cam v2 that keeps going offline (error 90 or error 42). Firmware 4.9.4.108. WiFi signal strength is 82%. If I reboot the camera by cycling power, it comes back online, but not for long. Sometimes I have to reboot a few times before it works again.

2 Likes

Are you by chance using an aftermarket power adapter or longer power cable?

Scott, same hereā€¦ Perhaps rbruceporter is onto something. I typically purchase aftermarket power cables for my wyze cams because I need a longer cable run. rbruceporter, are there acceptable ā€œcompatibleā€ cables that we can purchase if we are having this issue to troubleshoot or are we limited to the 11 feet by purchasing the additional ā€œmounting kitā€?

I am using 26ā€™ cables with my cameras and havenā€™t had any problems with them at all.

I used these extension cables for my Wyze cams. They work great.

2 Pack 26FT Power Extension Cable for Wyze Cam Pan,WyzeCam,Kasa Cam.YI Dome Home Camera,Furbo Dog,Nest Cam,Blink,Netvue, Durable Charging and Data Sync Cord for Home Security Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGXPG8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BC8dDbQKC6M94

My cable is pretty short, about 3 feet. I was using a Samsung 700mA power supply I had laying around. After reading your post, I just replaced it with the one from Wyze which is rated at 1000mA. Maybe that will improve things.

1 Like

Your particular issue is often a sign of a power issue. Cheap or long cables and low end chargers can cause it as can underpowered ones. Let us know if changing the adapter works or helps.

1 Like

My WYZE cam says offline on my phone but my internet is on. It stopped working this morning. What should I do. My husband press the button on the back of the cam, but nothing happened.

pull the power on the camera for about 15 seconds, plug it back in and see if it connects itself.

All of the sudden my 2 Wyze Cams (v2) are either not connecting or say ā€˜device is offline.ā€™
This started happening today but the cameras were working this morning.
Yesterday, I had to cut the shared circuit to replace an outlet . Also, had to turn off the router yesterday as well.
Today, my phone had trouble connecting to my usual 2.4g network (the network the cameras are on). Eventually, was able to connect but am thinking itā€™s related.

Just power cycled both cameras. Still wonā€™t work.

Both my cameras show ā€˜Device is offline (error code 90)ā€™ but they were working an hour ago

Power cycled mine as well and rebooted my phone. Still doesnā€™t work

I occasionally get that on one or more of my cameras following a WiFi or Network outage. It usually takes the following sequence to restore everything to full functionality.

Turn off/Power off the following devices. No particular order so long as they all end up off. Your mix may vary.

Router
Modem
Cameras
Hubs
Repeaters/Extenders
Access Points

Turn back on in order.

1. Modem - wait for it to boot and fully connect
  2. Router. Wait for it to fully boot.
  3. WiFi extenders
  4. Hubs
  5. Access Points - wait until fully powered up
  6. Cameras
3 Likes

Iā€™ve also been experiencing this problem with my 3 cameras in the last 2 weeks. All three of my cameras was offline 5 minutes ago for the past 2 hours and as Iā€™m typing this message now - it seems that 2 of them just came back on.

1 of 3 of my cameras is solely using the original cable and adapter plugged directly into a wall outlet. 2 of 3 are the same except plugged into an extension cord as the outlet is too far away.

The last time this has happened was only 2 days ago. Already went about power cycling and rebooting the routers.

Have only experienced this after updating to the latest firmware, my set upā€™s details are as follows:

• iPhone XR / iOS v13.3.1
  • Wyze App v2.8.20
  • Firmware v 4.9.5.98

Appreciate any insight on this matter, thanks!

I hope I have finally solved my issue of either not being able to connect one or both of my Wyze cams or having them constantly showing offline. I finally found helpful advice (sorry I donā€™t have a link but google it) and in the last week I connect to both cameras every time without fail. That has never happened before. I changed two things. I have an ASUS router and by googling that and Wyze can I found that (a) I should NOT have the same PW for the router 2.4 and 5 ghz settings and (b) I needed to go into router settings and turn OFF something called airtime fairness. I did both those things and itā€™s been smooth sailing since then. Only been a week but they work better than they ever have. Hope this helps someone.

1 Like

Jan. 4, 2021
I have just installed 5 brand new Wyze Cam 2, two from Home Depot that came with Wyze 32 gig SD cards, 3 purchased from Amazon and I installed San Disk 32 Gig microSDHC UHS-1. 130MB/S speeds A1 App performance Perct for recording Full HD Videos. All 5 cameras MicroSD cards have been formatted in camera. All cameras have been updated to the latest firmware 4.9.6.199

All cameras are powered from the Original Wyze cables and power pack. My home has good 120VAC commercial power.

All cameras are within 20 feet of a high-end newer model ASUS 4 antenna Wi-Fi router connected to high-speed internet.

All cameras are getting strong signal. 3 bars displayed on about cameras.

All cameras have been power cycled.

Randomly I will find several cameras offline, it does not appear to be any particular camera, they all have gone offline at some point. clicking on the cameras they will seem to work again as if being woke up.

I have seen it mentioned here that this can happen with cheap USB cables and power adapters. These are all brand new Wyze cables and adapters. Does this mean all my new cameras are defective and should be returned?

Are there setting in my router I should look at?
I am a network engineer/telecom engineer and will understand more technical things on Wi-Fi router settings so donā€™t be afraid you will be talking over my head. I can work with you troubleshooting. Thanks.

Please advise.

See my 2 posts and video with voltage drop testing with the V3 camera and USB extension cords .
https://forums.wyze.com/t/v3-keeps-disconnecting/145373/33[https://forums.wyze.com/t/v3-keeps-disconnecting/145373/33](https://forums.wyze.com/t/v3-keeps-disconnecting/145373/33)

I also had lockup issues getting video data 3/3 , accessing the SD card and when I used the siren it would lock up and need to be power cycled .
I replaced 2 V2 cameras I had outside with 2 new V3s using the standard Wyze power brick and 15 - 20 ft of USB extension cord . I found a lot of issues with voltage drop across the USB extensions and the used original 6ft Wyze power cord .
I have done extensive voltage drop testing on the bench and have documented in a series of Videos below
I also found some of my original V2 power bricks powering a V3 at 340 ma and the Wyze 6ft cord the power brick was only supplying 4.75 volts .
The V3 is extremely sensitive to low voltage

Gee, I donā€™t think I should have to buy 5 new bricks for brand new cameras not even 5 days old out of box. Is Wyze supplying better USB power plugs for new cameras with these issues?

Have you tested the cameras without the SD cards? Also check for an Asus router firmware update.

I just installed Wyze cam few days ago. It was working fine and then this morning it went offline. The internet is working but the camera is no longer connected. I have SD card and internet is working fine, please advice.