AWS Outage Impacting Multiple Wyze Services - 12/15/21

ya, seems ok now, what about when it happens again, and again… relying on a single cloud provider for something we should be able to access locally if needed… simple solution, enable local access as an option for basic use rather than have devices you can’t even turn on when there is an outage.

I guess they don’t have or pay for a redundant environment. I thought ALL company’s would have a failover environment in a different geographical area just in case something happens to the Prod environment.

I heard some VC’s were starting a Uber like service to rent them.

1 Like

The last outage was a network routing / packet loss issue that snowballed to degrade downstream services. Having a second (or third) availability zone wouldn’t solve that if they can’t switch the traffic to another zone. This impacted companies who’s bar tabs are greater than Wyze’s revenue so it’s silly to blame Wyze here.

2 Likes

Last vestige cleared overnight of its own accord. All good.

Each user’s mileage may vary, of course. I’m lucky this time.

It’s hard for me to know if my experience is typical. YMMV.

1 Like

You can’t power cycle the home monitoring system. It has an internal backup battery.

Hey Robert

First go 'round with a home monitoring system, or…? Just curious.

I have zero experience with them and have no interest in owning one.

Cheers -peep

I made a comment a while ago about all their eggs in one basket but then I read a post that pointed out that some of the really big players were also offline because of the AWS outage.

So it appears Wyze is doing the same thing every other large company is doing.

So I take that eggs in one basket comment back.

Now it’s just, local control would be nice and I would pay extra for that option.

3 Likes

I honestly think it’s really cool that you circled back for this comment. We definitely weren’t alone in the outage but we are looking into methods to better serve our customers when unexpected things like this happen. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hear hear.

2 Likes

I’m sure there will be good learnings out of this recent outage as that is part of growing into an enterprise capable company and delivering service to the level expected/contracted. Precise and timely communication will be key. I want to thank Wyze for pushing out communications in both email and the Wyze app informing us why our devices may be behaving strangely. That helped me avoid a more rigorous trouble-shooting process which would have been a waste of time in retrospect. I would suggest that Wyze push notices out a little faster the next time this happens (and it will in our cloud-first world) so its customers are better informed and able to minimize their cycles reacting in unproductive / time-consuming ways. Thanks for the continued innovation.

1 Like

Absolutely! Thank you for the gentle feedback. We’re glad that we were able to save you some troubleshooting effort. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 of my plugs are working but not with Alexa. other to plugs will not connect flashing light goes out when trying to connect. tried many times. help pls

For Alexa, you may want to try reauthenticating your Wyze integration and that may be helpful. For the plugs not connecting, you may want to try a factory reset for it to see if that helps. If it doesn’t, then I’d recommend contacting our support team.

Here’s the factory reset link:

And you can get a hold of support through support.wyze.com.

Sorry for the trouble!

Gwen,

Still have the Outdoor Hub and cameras showing as offline.
The cameras work and I can live view, but they and the hub show as offline.

Thanks for telling me! If you unplug the Base Station power cable for 10 seconds and plug it back in again, does that help?

Very pleased with Wyze’s responsiveness and despite what some said, I think the response was pretty quick even in the beginning.
The good ol’ ‘unplug and plug in’ lol
I’ll try when home, at work now.

1 Like

I get a “server unresponsive” message on Alexa .not sure what that is about?

Huh. Thanks for telling me! I informed the team. Was that when re-authorizing?

2 Likes

The team has requested a log. I’m confirming the kind of log that we should be collecting in this particular case. It may be a standard Wyze app log. If so, it will be:

Account > Wyze Support > Submit a log > Post the log number here.

I’ll circle back to confirm when I hear back.

1 Like