Audio out of sync

I needed to submit a video to my local police this past week and the officer who took received the video said it “would have been really nice if the audio and video were synced better,” as it was hard to tell who was saying what in the video I captured. Not really a good impression of the brand.

Still no update about this from Wyze?

Chiming in on this issue, as I had just started using the Wyze camera to record videos where I had audio. Previously, the delay was OK, was it was just monitoring things. But I wanted to try and make an instructional video, and that is when I noticed it was off.

It started out OK, but near the end of the minute long clip, the audio was off by 10 or more seconds. The problem, from what I can tell, is that the video portion is played back to fast (you can watch the seconds counter go up faster than an actual second), and then when it gets to about 45-50 seconds, the video freezes, but the audio keeps going.

All this while recording directly to a microSD card. On the phone the delay is there as well as everyone else had stated, but it is not just recording through the phone that’s the problem, even straight to SDcard is a problem.

New WyzeCam v3 announced today and looking through the reviews it seems this audio-sync issue might be fixed. Excited to try it out.

It’s been 3 months since last post about v3 hoping audio/video sync might be fixed, so was it? Wyze now has monitoring product but equipment included doesn’t have a cam included. I wonder why. Perhaps because they are crap. Just sayin.

I held out hope for a lot longer than 3 months that this would eventually be fixed, but as of a couple weeks ago I replaced the camera because I’ve given up. I bought a Wyze camera because it was one of the few that are developed and supported within the US and that made me think it would be better than some Chinese piece of junk. Turns out my reasoning didn’t work out too well unfortunately.

T iIs because wyze is nothing but Chinese junk with a different name and worse customer support. Wish, the cheapest crapiest junk has better customer service than wyze.

Wow, just getting this email and remembering that nagging audio lag issue. I ended up tossing the wyze cam and buying amazon cameras a year or so ago. Never had an issue with the new cameras. I guess wyze never got those kinks worked out.

Yes, the V3 doesn’t have this issue, so maybe you can rotate some cams. Personally, most of my V2s are inside-looking-out, and I don’t want by indoor conversations being transmitted anywhere. So I disable the mic in those V2 cams, and use my V3s outdoors where they are weatherproofed and the V2s aren’t.

Just a thought.

I really don’t get how a bug is not being fixed for so long. Okay, they introduced new cams, but the old ones are still being sold and should still be supported as well. Introducing a new cam doesn’t fix the problem. I am getting fed up with Wyze. The only thing they do is introducing new products, probably all of them only working for a part.

Instead of fixing problems, they introduce new problems each time. I am still using the V2 and as long as the problems aren’t fixed, I will not buy any new Wyze products. They clearly show us that they are not capable of running a company. Once you bought Wyze products, you’re on your own.

My guess is a processor for an under $20 camera was too weak to handle the sync in the old days. Tech advances, and now theV3 processor can handle it.

I have 5 v2 Cams, and the first 6 months they all worked fine - no issues with audio/video on cloud, or sd card recording (have 32gb cards in each unit). As soon as the firmware added Person Detection, the audio stopped syncing consistently. I even had 3 cameras on the old firmware, and 2 with newer firmware, and the cameras on the older firmware without person detection didn’t have the sync issue. I have had to provide video twice to the local police department, and both times the audio was 15 seconds out of sync - it was so embarrasing because the officers said they’ve never seen audio so out of sync. I pride myself in being a techie but it’s unfortunate they couldn’t fix this issue. It’s simply the processor cannot provide enough power for all of the features - the processor is now almost 4 years old. It’s really a sad situation.

Sorry for the long post but I have spent a lot of time reading the thread and then testing…

In summary, it’s really bad news guys I am afraid. For all those who hoped these extremely long standing major issues would be fixed in the v3 cam then I can assure you they are not! I have just bought a v3 and the very same problems with audio exist.

In my case, I seem to have potentially 2 separate issues, the first of which everyone was experiencing with the v2 cams as repeatedly documented in this thread (with no clear resolution from Wyze), and the second maybe an unrelated issue with my phone - or maybe not?

Problem 1: Pretty much the same as everyone else…

• I generally have a 1+ seconds sync issue with SD card playback in the app (tried all combinations of SD card, format in PC, 2 of the latest firmware’s. reset camera, app update/remove/re-add, etc). I haven’t tried viewing long clips so the sync may slip further out as play continues (suggested by others).
  • If I hit record and “capture” a segment the lag seems to increase to about 2 secs in the saved video. If I copy the resulting file to my PC it also plays out of sync.
  • I then ran the Wyze app on an Android v7 emulator on my PC - same result as my Android v10 phone with sync issues both in the app and if I play the “captured” segment on the PC itself.
  • I then installed the app and tried downloading the same segment on an iPhone 8 and and it did not have any of these problems.
  • If I move the SD card to my PC then the individual 1 min videos all playback in sync! Obviously this is not a practical solution as I can’t get ladders out and dismount the cam every time(!), and if the cam gets stolen all evidence is lost(!) - plus you have to play 1 minute of video file at a time(!)
  • So, as the iPhone had no issues and the hardware appeared to save good files to the SD card, could it be Android app specific?

Come on Wyze, surely this can’t be as difficult as it appears! I certainly won’t be buying or advising others to buy any Wyze products unless this is fixed.

Problem 2: People have said that the 12s event clips are ok and most haven’t mentioned a sound loss…

• For me, the 12s clips play back fine in the app (maybe a very small sync issue if any - certainly acceptable) but if I download them and play them back on my phone using the built in player there is no sound.
  • If I share a clip via WhatsApp then whoever receives it gets no sound either BUT a downloaded file plays ok on my phone using Google Photos! Go figure? And if I copy the file to my PC, it plays fine.
  • I then ran the Wyze app on the Android v7 emulator on my PC - same result as the Android v10 phone with no sound in the Wyze app but fine if I play the downloaded file on the PC itself.
  • I then tried downloading the same 12s clip on the iPhone 8 and and it did not have any of these problems.
  • As the iPhone did not have the same problem then I would be inclined to think it’s an issue with the Gallery player and/or codecs built into my phone - but that would not explain why the emulator with a totally different Android version didn’t have sound either???

If it was not for the above 2 issues, I could put up with the poor picture which is very blocky when there is movement, and the mediocre sound quality.

1 Like

I’m sadly thinking about scrapping Wyze and selling my cams. I think this is a case of you get what you pay for. I’m looking around to see which cam developers are on top of issues when they crop up and that will be the main litmus test for me.

I’m thinking the same. Have been using Wyze for a a couple years but have always had issues with audio quality and sync. I don’t understand why audi sync is a problem all this time and it is unacceptable.

Has there ever been a resolution to the audio/video sync issues? I’m using V3 and my app and firmware are both up to date. I need to save a video covering the time of 10:02-10:12. When saved, the video is somehow 14 minutes long but the audio is so out of sync so that the audio ends two minutes early and the video continues to run in silence for the last two minutes. The details vary, but this happens with every single video I try to save. Is this just supposed to be the norm with Wyze?

2 Likes

Nope. No resolution at all. And wyze is if no help at all. My audio is so out of sync on my v3 cameras. I now use them as backup cameras that’s don’t need audio. I bought another brand for my main cameras.

1 Like

In all the time I have owned Wyze cameras, and I have nearly a dozen now, audio has always been out of sync on all of them and this problem has never been fixed. What is likely happening is either video frames are being dropped or audio “frames” are and the camera never bothers to resync the two, so they gradually get worse and worse at staying in sync. I’ve seen it as bad as a whole minute. I don’t believe developers are bothering to fix this.

1 Like

Cool cool cool. What an interesting decision considering 99% of their products are smart home cameras. Disappointing. I guess I’ll start my research now and replace them on Black Friday.