Any one actually like the outdoor camera?

My outdoor cam speaker seems to be unusable. Can’t make out a word spoken through it. Just crackly awful noises. Bummer, but not enough to return it or raise a fuss. I’m really enjoying the cam otherwise. I’m sure I’ll end up adding more outdoor cams, so I’ll put this one where a speaker would never be used.

1 Like

12 days if I am lucky. No viewing live mode. Get about 3 recordings a day from it.

I like my Outdoor Cam and it is working well. Here’s a tip, however, to get more range and avoid the use of an Ethernet cable if you don’t have outlets. Just but a cheap $13 extender. Plug it in at a window. Then plug the outdoor cam base into the extender and set the base in the window frame. Works great for me.

While that tip is not incorrect. The real problem is most of us already have solid wifi and forcing the use of a dedicated hub. Which is often not as good as our existing wifi, and competes in terms of SNR, is just a bad thing. That said part of the weak wifi is also the camera itself. Using a phone, I can see the wifi from the hub well beyond were my cam can. Not to trash your post, it is a good tip, but misses the points most of us are actually complaining about.

1 Like

Good work around @netfolks2000. Just curious, which extender did you use?

:+1::wink:

This one. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-External-Antennas-TL-WA855RE/dp/B07KGKLMV2/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?crid=2OZYCK300B6BJ&cv_ct_cx=tp-link+n300+wifi+extender&dchild=1&keywords=tp-link+n300+wifi+extender&pd_rd_i=B07KGKLMV2&pd_rd_r=17d92345-787a-4ab9-8566-1bb14e291e29&pd_rd_w=HBlLu&pd_rd_wg=Egk4b&pf_rd_p=5be4970c-0256-4afe-9550-68021bd84e5b&pf_rd_r=QGBDAEE7C5DSKRMW4GVW&psc=1&qid=1604437267&sprefix=tp-link%2Caps%2C269&sr=1-1-791c2399-d602-4248-afbb-8a79de2d236f

Since the base must have an Ethernet cable and the routers are often in a closet somewhere, that is a lot of wood to get thru to get to the camera if it is outside. Just placing the extender in a window eliminates running an Ethernet cable and puts the base closer to the camera with almost a direct line of site signal.

1 Like

Mine has been fine so far. The first battery charge lasted 3 months. We’ll see how the next charge does when it gets really cold. It has generally done what’s on the tin. However, I have been patiently waiting for CamPlus compatibility since the 12s clips are not adequate for my usage.

I have used this method:

I use dd-wrt firmware to take a Netgear router and put it in client mode as a bridge. The advantage that I see is that it will not create another AP as it then creates a close proximity issue in the 2.4Ghz channel.

The 2.4Ghz channels are so congested it can be problematic. The only 2.4 channels that do not step on each other are channels 1, 6, and 11

I have a Netgear R8000 with DD-WRT that is used as a 2.4 hub for all my smart devices.

I then use the ISP router for all active users, IPhone, laptops, FireSticks and Alexa devices.
It’s set to 5Ghz only, so it keeps the 2,4 IoT seperated.

The IoT Access Point with the dd-wrt firmware hums along with 70+ devices, light bulbs, switches, plugs, and Wyze cams.

I really wish the manufactures would recognize that using the 2.4 channels is polluted 5G is needed!!

Edit:

The decision by Wyze to use 2.4G band for proprietary WiFi and not provide the ability to set the channel is not wise!!
Please allow the user to set which channel is used!!

Yes but this extender has no Ethernet cable connection for the base to plug into

I’ve used this for some customers I’ve setup;

NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX2700 - Coverage up to 800 sq.ft. and 10 devices with N300 Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (up to 300Mbps speed), and Compact Wall Plug Design Amazon.com

Or looking at specs I’d use this:

WiFi Range Extender, 1200Mbps Wireless Signal Repeater Booster, Dual Band 2.4G and 5G Expander, 4 Antennas 360°Full Coverage, Extend WiFi Signal to Smart Home & Alexa Devices(AY120025) (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KVSN48H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_emZOFbH7S6PBM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

same with mine doing great so far

Ironically I’m actually using my outdoor cam inside my garage.

I love mine.

Hi there. I have one WOC pointing to long driveway(about 75’). A bit uphill, it took me a bit to get the settings correctly. Mine are at 79 distance, 68 sensitivity. It catches a lot. Even the ocasional UPS driver runner. These cams are Beta… they are a hobby. I am always tinkering with them on Sunday(server… maybe) 2 were replaced under Limited Warranty but I find it fun to get them to work as designed. They are not for everyone, a regular folk would probably ask for their money back. I believe the company can go far. I keep buying their isht!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

:rofl: I had never heard that one, @Big_monkey “rowing my boat to the train station to catch a fight.”

1 Like

Indeed… They like walking a thin line, advertising & ambiguously implying security features, but then CYA claiming that they’re not really players. :upside_down_face:

EDIT-1: Ring & other big-name webcams also bring additional concerns with things like Amazon Sidewalk, @Ekko . Personally, I haven’t used any other vendor cams at home for much comparison… but I’d expect them all to share similar cloud weaknesses.

I have two of the outdoor cameras the WCO1 and the latest WCO2 they are both performing well. It’s not the hardware I have a problem with it’s the firmware and software program

Me too… Both of mine are performing well. I was really referring more to their corporate posture with my comment.

Firmwares have definitely been problematic, but luckily I’ve avoided the worst of it with the outdoor cams.

Playback must be enabled from the base station though. No reason why we shouldn’t be able to do this other than their attempt to incentivize folks towards subscription services.

Even that doesn’t guarantee anything. What I want to do is record to the SD card that I have installed in the camera and then be able to review that recording at my leisure I can’t do that on any of my cameras but I should be able to

1 Like