Any one actually like the outdoor camera?

What with the plethora of new products projected to launch, it’s not surprising that a lot of folks at Wyze have been diverted from their normal positions to help ready the future items for launch

I have a relatively narrow property and a decently fast router/modem/network. My outdoor cam is working great. Enough in fact, I have another one on order to watch my other drive way.

Interesting, our situations are reverse… maybe slightly different though… my ring doorbell is giving me issues and I even have the wireless extender for it shrug

1 Like

I’ll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that it will eventually be hacked to eliminate the base

1 Like

The purpose of the base (as I understand) is to lower battery consumption by eliminating keep-alive messages, beacon and maybe U-APSD (Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery). Just guessing here but not draining the battery seems paramont for the WOC.

@towelkingdom The base provides its own subnet for the WOC (192.168.200.nnn).

1 Like

And I bet a dollar that the base was originally designed to ALSO be a hub for the to be released doorbell cam.

I am also happy with the operation of my WCO but for one big problem. Battery life! I bought one about a month ago and have been ringing it out before buying more. I mounted it to watch the front door of my house. It captures about 10 clips a day, some days none (mailman, package delivery, etc) and the most I have gotten out of the battery is 12 days, this with no IR, no live view except checking when receiving a notification. Three to six months is a pipe dream. What kind of life you getting?

Mine has been up 1 1/2 months with 85% left

Well firmware updates did help detection. Still not great given no fine control of detection zones, no person detection.

However may be a moot point as mine is now having serious audio issues. Often leave it muted, so not sure how long ago it started, but sounds like there is constant loud crackling. Kind of like really bad wind noise, but even when there’s barely a breeze out.

I’m curious… What are your WCO settings?

I’m still at 81% as well. I have everything maxed out, IR lights on, 1 min cool down, 1080p, max distance, etc. The key is not doing much live streaming and having mine mounted on the back of my house where there aren’t many notifications. Mine will stay at the same level or lose like 1 percent over the course of 4-5 days but then one day when I cut the grass and left it on ( I usually turn it off in the app before doing anything in the back yard so I don’t keep setting it off wasting battery on myself moving around), it went down like 5% during the time I was cutting the grass from getting triggered every minute.

Put the camera in the freezer for a few minutes and see if it goes away,
Maybe thermal noise from a chip is going bad.

Interesting. Here’s a curious tidbit. Everytime I recharge, the intervals get longer. First charge lasted 8 hours, second lasted 2 days. Last (fifth) charge was 12 days. By the time the battery is at the end of its useful life, maybe I’ll get the three months promised.

2 Likes

Yep thats just about what I do with mine & have the same kind of results I guess a few of us just got a good one or set it up different than others & just have better luck

1 Like

i have read a lot mof negative comment about function of the WOC BUT NOTHING ABOUT SOUND OR SPEAKER. does anyone have an opinion on these two fascets of the outdoor camera?

Well, considering that anyone you’d wanna talk to will be long gone by the time you get an alert, speaker is moot. Sound I feel is adequate enough for me.

Actually yes the sound is terrible. I am referring to mic, not speaker. If you unmute it there is terrible background crackling etc. sounds like wind noise but even when it’s still or a slight breeze. Don’t count on being able to make out any sound from the mic. That said if you’re not one of us that bought the thing already, do steer clear of it. Threads full of disappointed customers. For multiple reasons.

1 Like

I don’t have this issue. Even at full volume. Although kinda muffled, there are no “cracks” or “wind” like noise on mine.

1 Like

I can make out sounds on recordings just fine. It’s about on par with the other cams. However, talking through it isn’t as clear as with the other cams.

Since I don’t use these to talk through the camera, and only use them for sounds in recordings I’m happy with my purchase.

Put the camera in a quiet area and record the sound from your phone. If it is a crackling and hissing you may have a bad chip. In that case I’d open a support ticket.

1 Like

Not even close to other previous WYZE cams sounds muffled a lot & not very loud