Alexa Wyze Skill for Outside North America

Having just bought Wyze Cam 3 am amazed it doesn’t work with Alexa in the UK, contrary to all the advertising I’ve seen. I thought Wyze were trying to be a reputable company, but they certainly don’t show it!

The only solution to use Alexa is to create an Amazon US account, there’s a YouTube video with all the steps in this thread although it comes with some limitations.

Not sure where you have seen advertised that Wyze works outside the US, They have been pretty clear since their launch that they only support the US market.

There are some discussions about creating some European based servers, however, no firm commitments I’ve seen so far.
Given the shortage in supplies at the moment & the companies focus on new products rather than improving existing ones, it seems unlikely they will expand outside the US anytime soon.

Gabbo

1 Like

You have only to glance at the advert on Amazon UK for the Wyze Cam 3 to see where they say that it is compatible with Alexa. This is fraudulent both by the supplier and by Wyze themselves for allowing such advertising on Amazon. It is nonsense to suggest that there is no advertising of the product in the UK that suggests it can be used with Alexa. The fact that the advertisers merely copy the USA version of the advert should not need to be my concern, they should check compatibility and advertise accordingly.

The main problem is that Wyze does not sell their items in the UK, Amazon does it without the ok from Wyze or it is a 3rd party selling it

Do you have a link to amazon UK for the wyzecam?
I can only find marketplace sellers offering Wyze products.

Wyze have never officially sold or supported any of their products outside the US (not even in Canada yet) as far as I know.

There are some details at the beginning of this post & several others about trying to prevent amazon from selling their products outside of the US.
In fact I bought my cameras from Amazon.com, had them shipped to the UK & then brought them to Switzerland.

In their recent video about “the future of wyze” there are some comments about expanding into other counties in the future.
However, given the supply shortages & focus on new products launches plus the fact wyze is a tiny company compared with others in the smart device market I wouldn’t expect European support anytime soon.

Sorry for the delay in reply. Yes GabboCH you’re right, the seller I referred to on Amazon was a market place seller. You say that Wyze are a tiny company. I don’t think that’s particularly compatible with their video talking about getting $100 million (I think) backing from a single investor. With that sort of backing, I don’t think it would do them any harm to spend a little on servers, if they are needed, and on making the camera usable with Alexa in the Europe.

I also hope they use part of the money to expand outside of the US to leverage a greater buyers market.

However, as with all money from investors, they expect to get back more than they put it.
I’d imagine this will mean their main focus will be on revenue streams which generate regular income like CamPlus & HomeMonitoring.

I can’t see how this won’t expand into all the other products so you will get a basic product for $20 but to get premium features you’ll need the plus feature.

Especially with Google moving into the free/premium model with their new cams/doorbells etc an already busy product space will before very competitive & Wyze will need to work hard to stay relevant.

Yes I’m in Australia and I have wyze cam pan’s and can’t add the Alexa skill. But I have a google home and I can view the wyze cams on the google home.

1 Like

I’m a Spain-based customer, and I bought my first wyze years ago and used the RTSP protocol on wyze to connect the CCTV to Home Assistant, then Wyze dropped support for RTSP on the official FW :expressionless:

Then, they continue offering RTSP support in their secondary FW, which is the one I’m using it, and when it works (many times doesn’t work) I can see the live feed on my echo show devices using Home Assistant as a bridge.

Today I’ve stumbled upon with this “Alexa Support” and I though “hey, I can use this seamlessly at last!” But no luck… as other skills for other products (like for example Plex) this skill is for first-class internet users, the USA users.

I know this is not entirely Wyze’s fault. Alexa is quite annoying and segments regions when Amazon has a global infrastructure and they could offer to their developers to some help to internationalize their skills, from translation to infrastructure near to the end client.

I’m pretty sure most EU and LatAm countries wouldn’t have any issue with the current infrastructure, USA-based, and no extra complexity or costs would be present. Just translating the skill into the different languages, but I’m pretty sure people here would be eager to contribute. If just wyze devs could publish as beta skill the alexa skill in the different alexa stores, we could be able to test it by ourselves.

OTOH, I’m not a big fan of Alexa for privacy issues and because I need an active internet connection to do everything, so as I said, I’m running a Home Assistant server myself which is the main “brain” of my smart home devices and can work just within my LAN, and then I have Alexa as the proprietary solution and Mycroft as the Open Source voice assistant solution, both connected to Home Assistant. As Mycroft is becoming more and more useful every day, I will eventually drop alexa, but at the moment, for convenience, I have both, and I can control all my devices from both systems.

The only weak point are cameras, as RTSP is working pretty bad on wyze (with a long delay, like 5~10 seconds), and I wished to see if with the alexa integration I would be able to see the live feed decently… I’m out of luck.

I’ve just found a skill on the Spain Alexa Skill Store called Monocle. It just works with local RTSP cameras, I’ve added the Wyze cams but unfortunately Alexa says the camera doesn’t answer… :! I think it’s because the authentication… so I will be stick with rtsp and home assistant, and will wait for wyze to make the next step.

"We aren’t intending to be jerks, we promise! " posted over two years ago !!! youd really have to ask yourself if this isnt the case …

ive had this problem now with TWO other skills which was an easy fix for the company in question at the time to put the tick in the alexa skill of the other available languages which made it available to those others counrtys

1 Like

Please integrate Wyze with Alexa Echo products in Australia. With Amazon sending Wyze products to Australia (often with free postage) the market is right.

[Mod edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

Products are shipped internationally through Amazon. You are an emerging international company so this will certainly need to be addressed sooner rather than later. Can’t wait to hear the good news.

1 Like

Hi @UserCustomerGwen , international support was something that was mentioned as a passing comment (iirc) during the Wyze owner presentation videos after the recent financial investment saved the company.

Do you know if this is something being seriously investigated at the moment or is still on the maybe-later list?

On my side, in the UK or Switzerland, I am no longer able to buy Wyze products from Amazon & ship outside the US.
I would still love to be able to officially purchase Wyze products (knowing that some features are not available outside the US).
Do you know if this is something that is also being considered & in what time frame?

Hello @UserCustomerGwen , i saw that you’ve been away while i posted my previous message (welcome back :slight_smile: :grinning: ).
Just a friendly nudge if you have some feedback regarding support outside the US which was mentioned in passing during the presentation about new investment.

Alternatively anything in the future in terms of shipping outside the US (perhaps through Amazon) accepting the limitation of the unsupported features?

Gabbo from Switzerland

1 Like

Still here after so many years… :((

Please bring the Wyze skill to the Alexa Skill store in Brazil!

What about implementing Alexa skill for wyze cam V3 in european countries included Italy? (mine)

Thanks a lot

Make sure you click the “VOTE” button at the very top of the thread to register your interest.

So far, no there’s still official news about showing wyze products outside the US

and still waiting…

funny thing your very happy to take my money but not surport me on alexa … sad !!

1 Like

Alexa skill in UK English

It would be a quick easy win to duplicate the skill into UK English.

Even if it’s just using US spellings it’d be better than not having one.