Add support for microSD cards larger than 32GB

same here and no issues

This would be very helpful to have more storage for continuous recording. It could hold more days of footage.

I have 7 Wyze camers all with 32gb cards in them. Will you please make the cameras compatible with larger cards like 64 or 128? Or even 512GB? This is the thing I want most out of WYZE. Second is an outside camera but larger SD still beats it.

You should try using a larger card. I have a Cam V2 and use with a SanDisk Ultra 128Gb without problem.

SD cards larger than 32GB do work but it would be comforting to know that they are expressly supported by Wyze, even if there are some documented requirements to do so.

A central home NAS for Wyze cameras to store continuous video would be great (MaxNAS replacement? - maybe CES 2020) - this would eliminate the need for a lot of SD storage in each camera. eufyCam has a good solution for local video storage which sounds appealing.

Looking through the forums it looks like Wyze cameras have the ability to go far beyond the 32GB limit that is stated on the website for the SD cards. Iā€™ve seen references to 128GB cards being used. Is it possible to change the official supported max memory to 128GB, and have the website reflect that? And possibly in the futureā€¦ 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB card support added to future camera designs? This would be fantastic for those of us that want to keep all storage local. I know some folks that need security cameras but donā€™t have the money for an NVR and are skeptical of the cloud.

I am rocking my Wyze cam with a 64gb mSD card now.

We know higher capacities work. We where just wondering if it where possible to get these higher capacities officially supported, and possibly in the future upgraded.

A Wyze NAS? Sounds like something I would buy in a heartbeat

I have seen a limitation where I have not been able to flash firmware via SD card if it was larger than 32 gb, If that is an actual issue and not just an error on my end I could see them not wanting to change the official supported amount.

I think the main issue with official declaration of support is that 32GB is the addressable space limit for 32-bit filesystems such as FAT32.

Itā€™s a backwards compatibility limitation of the intrinsic file system itself more so than Wyzeā€™s (or any manufacturerā€™s) lack of willingness to support larger capacities. Certain aspects of the cameras might have no trouble with larger cards, but other aspects of SD card access cannot be guaranteed if they are incapable of addressing space beyond the 32GB threshold. Hence, Wyze wouldnā€™t want to steer anyone down a blocked path to risk backlash.

SanDisk has a good FAQ blurb on the various capacity flavors & filesystems:

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd%2Fsdhc%2Fsdxc-specifications-and-compatibility

2 Likes

Vote for it hereā€¦ :smiley:

All of my Wyze cameras use 128GB microSD cards, and have so for the last couple years. I have used Sandisk and they come with the correct format. I only had a problem one time/one microSD card, but I downloaded a free formatted software and re-formatted it and itā€™s been running great since. BTW I run my 128GB continuously, such that it records 7 x 24 for a little over 2 weeks.

Is there any plan to support bigger cards with more storage capabilities?

Hi riallmon,

I used a 64gb SD card successfully in my wyze V2 for months until this last update. Now it fails to recognize the card. I have swapped a 32gb and 64gb card in and out, and sure enough, the 32gb card is recognized, and the 64gb card is not. It says there is no card in the camera, but when I swap the 32gb card in, voila!, there is a SD card. Have you noticed any problems with your 128gb cards in the past week or two?

Which update are you referring to? firmware or software? Which version number? Iā€™m still using a 128 gb card in my wyzecam v2 with no problems with firmware 4.9.5.36.

1 Like

Iā€™m on 4.9.5.111; Not sure which update broke it, but I even reformatted the 64gb card but no happiness when I inserted it back into the Wyze Cam. But the 32gb card found a home easily.

Very curious.

Iā€™m using the latest beta version and have not had any problems. Please note that the one time that I did have a problem, it was in the form of the camera rebooting every one minute, like exactly to the minute. I was in discussions with Wyze support and either they told me or I decided to try to reformat the card. I believe that Wyze requires exFat32 format, which typically only works up to 32GB, but I found a free Windows software that could do my 128GB card and it worked out great. Havenā€™t had an issue since in over a year.

Iā€™m sorry. The cameras are using the latest firmware; 4.9.6.59 for V2 and 4.10.6.59 for PAN cam.

Thereā€™s a big difference between exFat and fat32. Fat32 could potentially handle up to 2 TB of hard drive space, although Windows limits it to 32 GB to promote NTFS. exFat can handle 128 PiB or possibly 16 EiB (both of which most people wonā€™t even scratch the surface of itā€™s potential).