WyzeCam "eating" micro SD cards?

The reason we went that route is because you asked for a guarantee that the new cameras would not have this problem. While we were confident that the replacement would help, we are still not 100% done with figuring out this problem. We didn’t want to send out a replacement to you for you to potentially run into the same problem after you have made it clear how much of an impact it has had on you.

4 Likes

Understood. I suppose in that context that was the most logical course of action. Please keep the community informed on the progress and/or resolution of this problem. IF the problem is resolved, I would be happy to purchase Wyze cameras in the future.

That being said, and being a small business owner/operator myself, some advice. Wyze needs to direct their efforts to ensuring existing products work as advertised, BEFORE creating/offering new products… Trying to grow too quickly, often times does far more harm than good.

1 Like

Woah… that was a long read… although I’m a little worried about the status of this problem, I hope that genuine high endurance and Wyze branded card is the solution if this finally get fixed on the firmware/software side and that the hardware problems are just isolated cases.

I myself have a small business in which I use WyzeCam to monitor and secure, so in the end I agree with @EdCaffreyMS with having few quality and tested products is better than having a lot to offer, but mostly failing or defective. I know Wyze have to go with quantity to be able to offer lower prices, but I hope they’re not sacrificing quality over that.

1 Like

Those demanding perfection are fools.

Imperfect creatures can never give rise to perfection.

Duds happen. What sets a crap company apart from a good one is how they handle things when they don’t turn out as expected.

From this thread alone I can see Wyze treats it’s customers well. I was fortunate enough to get cameras without issues. My friend was not so fortunate and got a few duds. He contacted support and he was taken care of quickly.

Wyze, y’all are doing a great job.

4 Likes

Please don’t get me wrong @Kalessin. I’m not expecting a 100% perfect product. I’ve praised Wyze as a customer oriented company and still grateful of how Wyze is developing their products closely with their customer’s community. I just merely giving opinion and advise for them not to rush expanding their products line while this product which made them popular and great is being left behind with features and functionalities half bake and failing.

2 Likes

@Kalessin Uhh . . . not sure you understand the situation here. And I have yet to encounter ANYONE on this list I would call a “fool” . . . .

1 Like

I wouldn’t call anyone in here a fool either. I’ll share the feedback provided here with the team.

3 Likes

Hi Ed has this SD Card issue been fixed yet?

I am curious how it ended up between you and Wyze and your 5 Burned out SD Cards.

Thanks,

1 Like

If you scroll up a bit, you’ll find my post that Wyze is refunding me for the cameras that have the SD card issue(s).

What I found interesting is that I offered to trade for new cameras, provided Wyze could promise that the new cameras would not have the same problem(s)/issue(s), and they said they preferred to refund me because they could not make that promise. That indicates to me that Wyze is fully aware that a percentage of their cameras have this problem…but is either unwilling of unable to fix it.

So, for me, although I would have preferred cameras that worked, I will accept the refund, and consider the matter solved for me.

What others do is up to them, and should Wyze ever decide to solve the problems with their cameras. I would likely purchase from them. In the meantime, I suppose I will have to find another product that meets my needs .

Like I said earlier, we do believe that a replacement would help. However, we cannot 100% guarantee that at this time as you were requesting as we’re still working on this.

Understood. I stated that in my post.

I was just being upfront/honest in what I would have preferred as/for a settlement, but settled for what I could get. You’re cameras COULD be great…if they just worked as advertised, and as I said, if all the advertised features worked, I’d likely purchase the product again.

As to the comment about “still working on this”… since it’s been going on for nearly a year, and so many have experienced the same problems, it would be logical that Wyze would direct its energies to fix problems with an existing product, before developing and selling new ones. Put yourself in the place of the consumer… one product with problems, that hasn’t been fixed in nearly a year, and newer products that are already exhibiting issues… what type of impression would that give you as a consumer?
When you stack that up with the canned/auto reply received when an individual seeks support…and the lengthy waits, with repeated requests before getting any meaningful answer(s)… it adds up to a company that is trying to grow too quickly, and not paying attention to the kind of reputation it’s building. Think about it.

Is this an issue on the Wyse Cams or just the Pan Cams?

Sadly both… :disappointed:

You should back read though as some have no problem by just making sure they’re using genuine high endurance or the branded Wyze cards.

That’s a shame. I don’t really feel like I can purchase any products with that sort of problem in the mix.

How common is this issue?

I personally have only seen this once out of the 12 cameras I have currently around my property. This is using the supported type of 32GB SD cards recommended by Wyze. Most of have them have been in use for over a year on the “Record on event” setting.

@Bam posted a really good write-up on the differences between card types that might help you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had it on both models, but was “fixed” by using the proper card (high endurance card specifically made for continous recording in security cameras.) All 4 have been recording flawlessly since they were installed.

1 Like

Are you doing record on event or continuous recording?

Mine work flawlessly as well with Sammy high endurance cards (128 gig no less) using continuous recording

1 Like

YES! I’m using the same ones - 32 gig.

That’s making me feel better about buying.

What’s strange to me is that reading through this thread I seem to find people have have had SD cards die in a day or so. I could understand a standard endurance card dying in perhaps months in this application, but in days? Shouldn’t happen.

I’m a hardware designer and it’s not uncommon to see inexperienced embedded developers fail to appreciate the wear mechanisms in flash and find that they are writing some small amount of status information very rapidly. That sounds like what’s happening here. The second issue is a failure to use proper wear leveling techniques.

It’s a little disconcerting that this has been identified since last October and there is no firm resolution yet.

Still, your guys experience has set my mind somewhat at ease.

1 Like