Wyze would sell more V3 cameras if they didn't need to have power recycled periodically

Wyze has a PROBLEM !!!

Indeed, the Wyze Alexa skill is flawed, very flawed…

In the past Wyze had the audacity to tell me Amazon is responsible for these flaws in a program WYZE created!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08712X74K/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb

This is Asus router I got to replace the isp provided one. Ive had nearly flawless performance since then. This is for 3 v3 cam, thermostat. Doorbell cam, 2 plugs, and HMS, plus around 15 or so other devices ( for your comparison).

1 Like

No matter who is at fault, Amazon or Wyze,
Wyze has a PROBLEM.
No matter who is the cause of the PROBLEM,
it will hurt the sales and reputation of the Wyze Company.
The name on the camera is Wyze, not Amazon.
“It ain’t my fault” is the battle cry of LOSERS.
If “It ain’t my fault”, then “I don’t need to do anything.” WRONG.
Work on fixing the cause of the PROBLEM.
Wyze needs to “WISE UP”.

1 Like

Never had to power cycle a single one of my V3 cameras. They all work extremely well. I do operate an enterprise grade network in my home with enterprise grade routers and multi-WAN so I am a bit unique there. I have seven V3 cameras, two security lights with two cameras each connected, and a pan camera. My only real complaint is my deadbolts are not Internet connectable.

Congratulations !!!
However, you are probably not the typical Wyze customer.
Thanks for your post.

Hey Bert!

So the ISP maybe tailored their service a bit to mesh with the Eero they then provide? Like Wyze is maybe doing with their impending router? :slight_smile:

Is that what’s called ‘bridging?’ Sounds like it, but don’t know, never done it. What would be the advantage of that, I wonder…

Is there a way to characterize how Eero support is different that earns an A+ ? Just way competent, great communicators …?

In the mid 90s, with Dell CS, if you were willing to call in the wee hours, you could talk to some savvy cats, off-script, lots of fun.

Course many were becoming ‘Dell Millionaires’ at the time which probably sweetened their mood considerably. :grin:

I also have an Asus mesh setup, in addition to the mother node, I’ve 4 other satellite nodes of which 2 are setup as wireless and the other 2 as hardwired, for a total of 5.
My wi-fi reception is impeccable, despite the fact that I have 72 wi-fi devices all told connected to it, I’ve segregated the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels and have connected all 5 ghz capable devices which will function satisfactory on that channel, all others make do with 2.4 ghz.
In contrast I’ve 4 Reolink wireless cams, their performance and reliability is rock solid, unlike my Wyze cams, their performance is more miss than hit, pay for what you get…I suppose.

1 Like

Hello Peepeep:

You can call me anything you want. I will answer to Dax.

Replies embedded.

| peepeep
July 26 |

• | - |

Hey Dax! (Is that ok? :slight_smile:)

DachshundFan:

My Gigabit fiber internet connection came with a two-node Eero mesh network!

So the ISP maybe tailored their service a bit to mesh with the Eero they then provide? Like Wyze is maybe doing with their impending router? :slight_smile:

I don’t know if Wyse has a router coming out. If the router/WiFi combination is enough to provide fast Wifi throughout your residence, then that is great, and a mesh network may not be needed. I see many postings on Nextdoor with people having the standard combo unit, and areas far from the box gave spotty WiFi. They will tell you that their internet is slow. It is slow, but not because of the speed of their internet connection. I have helped some friends and neighbors add Eero mesh networks their internet speed improved hugely.

DachshundFan:

I agree with the person who said to use the ISP-supplied box to bring in the data and then go to your own WiFi network.

Is that what’s called ‘bridging?’ Sounds like it, but don’t know, never done it. What would be the advantage of that, I wonder…

See my comment above about providing improved coverage.

DachshundFan:

The most important thing I like about Eero is their technical support.

Is there a way to characterize how Eero support is different that yields an A+ ? Just way competent, great communicators …?

It is rare to have to wait for support from Eero.

The first-level support people have more insights and knowledge than most level two people. They have no qualms about engaging level two if necessary.

Let me take a minute to tell you how I got to Eero. I had a firewall in-between my cablemodem and my Apple WiFI hardware. The Apple devices came with Apple management, and you could connect a disk to a USB port and make a slow NAS server or a fast target for Macintosh TimeMachine backups. You could also buy a Wifi device with a disk inside and have a backup appliance.

Apple got out of the WiFi business and my network was getting slow. The old firewall was the main culprit, but the Apple network hardware wasn’t helping. It was also hard to do some network stuff on the Apple geat.

My brother bought a product from a company with a seven-letter name; the first letter is “N”, and the product name has four letters and begins with “O”. He wasn’t using the router part of the box and didn’t have problems.

I was using mine as a router, and I had major problems. I was using the router software. The internet connection to my computer would go away for a few seconds or a minute. This was bad because I depended on reliablle. fast internet service. I bought a cheap app to monitor my internet. I wanted to show it to Level 2 and see what they say.

The only way they would ALLOW me to get to level two was to do the following:

1. factory reset and wipe the device and see if they still have problems (Making sure you stay lubricated with non-alcoholic cleaning fluids.

2. Repeat the problem

3. If the problem repeats, they send you a new unit that you show that the VOIP is stopping and starting

4. And now you can talk to Level Two.

I didn’t want to wait around or deal with this company. I heard about Eero from a friend high up in IT at a large software company. He started as a network architect. He told me to buy reman first-generation boxes because they were not that old, and my network was small,

The Eeros are still working great.

I have a friend with a three-story log house on the Illinois border with Wisconsin. The cablemodem with the built-in WiFi came into the house on the second floor, where the router was set up. Large areas of all the floors didn’t get WiFi. He wanted to get a couple of Amazon Echos, do some smart home stuff, play music, and install some cameras. He’s not that technical, and I live 2000 miles away. He hired the Geek Squad, and he is very happy.

I hope this explains why I feel that Eero has great service.

Cheers,

Bert

2 Likes

Hey Bert!

Yeah, well, that certainly appeals. Thanks for the full explanation.

More in the next post…

Line in
Modem
Firewall
Router
  Ethernet †
  WiFi *
Mesh nodes † *
Access point †
Extender *

† Wired
 * Wireless

Is this the full cast of characters properly described?

Extenders have limitations (support fewer connected clients (~20) and can be a bandwidth ‘bottleneck’)
Access points are less limited (more client capacity (~50) and no bottleneck)

Are mesh nodes the equivalent of ‘wireless access points’?

Does ‘bridging’ effectively reduce a combo WiFi router into a wired network ‘switch’ (I.e., a bank of ethernet ports) passing the WiFi function to a separate device?

My setup:

Just experimenting with how to express the essential stuff coherently. :slight_smile:

Mesh nodes are Wireless Access Points.
Mesh nodes can have zero or two ethernet ports
The master node is connected to the internet and to an ethernet switch that connects to wired mesh nodes and wired clients.
No Externders or stand-alone routers.

More later. I have to run.

No stand-alone firewall either.

I seem to only have issues with my V3 positioned outside / outdoor on the garage door casing. I have it mounted at the top in the middle of a 2-car door. I do have an extender in the garage. It is wired from USB in the ceiling across the opener to the camera, maybe 20 feet total. It was working mostly fine, then it’s not. It takes a long time to connect, and it’s not detecting motion or recording events, when I go to detection settings, i will sometimes not see an updated sensitivity level, or when i go to detection zone, i won’t see the zone, or the picture behind the zone. Again, this was mostly working 2 days ago. At least it was more reliable then it is now, which is nothing.

I’ve thought about trying to move the camera, so it isn’t through the garage door, but not sure that would help. I do have a V2 outside, that I’ve thought of swapping the two and see what happens.

Any other pointers or hints?

The garage cam’s wifi connection shows 2 of 3 bars. All other cams are 3 of 3.

I have 2 V2 and 3 V3 cameras, only one having issues is the V3 outside over the garage door. I have a V2 outside on the front porch, and a V2 and V3 inside. All are connected to a Netgear Orbi mesh router, connected through my isp’s modem/router. Again, the garage cam is connected through a tp-link extender at 2.4g, that is connected to the router at 5g.

1 Like

Hey James

Mount the v3 temporarily a few feet from the extender and test for a while is probably what I’d do. If that doesn’t fix it try using the standard short power cord and observe. :slight_smile:

Anecdotally, I think I saw maybe @resist mention something similar with detection zone display being squirrelly just recently. Sometimes the best thing to do with stuff like that is chill for a week. It sometimes resolves itself (server side.)

Anyone else?

2 Likes

might have figured out my issue. Seems i used a different USB Adapter that didn’t have enough power for the camera. Now I feel dumb. As soon as i changed that out to the one that came with it, the camera detected motion.

3 Likes

We’re supposed to “chill” for a week? That’s insanity when we rely on these camera’s for security!

1 Like

@Resist !

You know what I’m gonna say so I’ll just let my dumbass voice echo in the silence… :wink:

1 Like

And yet you still had to say something.

1 Like

You have an itch I can’t scratch. :slight_smile:

I accept your POV - I don’t use the cams for security and have a much lower standard for performance.

1 Like