Wyze Thermostat - Smart home heating & cooling

I won’t be replacing 9, but i do have 3 thermostats, thinking if this is anything like the nest but fraction of the price

1 Like

My house in Seattle has no central heating - merely basic electrical wall heaters, 1 per room and hallway, 3 in living room. Each of them is controlled by a simple $15 single-pole MECHANICAL wall thermostat. Being single pole device, there be no shut-off switch except at circuit breaker. One in unused bedroom malfunctioned quietly running up my electric bills for months.

3 Likes

somphong - I outlined that exact request to Wyze back in March. See post: Electric Baseboard Smart Thermostat

Unfortunately Wyze is ignoring this use case scenario and plans to go head to head in competition with Nest and Ecobee, instead of going after an underserved market. Your only decent choice is the MYSA thermostat. https://getmysa.com/. Check to see if your electrical utility offers a rebate as Mysa has partnered with some utilities.

I have 4 Mysa’s for baseboard. They work pretty well and I can automate them with the wyze motion sensors. The only problem is getting one for every baseboard will get pretty expensive.

Wyze is based in Seattle. They should be familiar with this pain and potential huge sales. I looked at MYSA also - still prohibitive cost to replace all my wall thermostats.

I can kind of understand why there aren’t more players in the smart baseboard heating game. After wiring the Mysa’s myself I found it was not the easiest thing and you have to deal with high voltage that has the potential to cause a fire or even kill you. That would be pretty bad publicity.

Any official updates? The last was there was alpha testing to start around may.

Yes we are still testing the thermostat and we need more testers. The typical life cycle of a thermostat is longer than average consumer electronics so we don’t want to release a buggy product until there are no issues in our test.

8 Likes

If you’re still in need of testers, I completed the link Mike posted & have a wyze centercode account.

2 Likes

I’d totally be up to test!

I’m in the same boat as Ken, I have both complete and ready to test if asked.

1 Like

I submitted my form yesterday. Hope I can get in on it. Been working with/ installing smart thermostat for since vivint first introduced theirs in 2010

1 Like

And it would help me save a few bucks with app control ha

1 Like

I’ve just completed the both tester links as well.

1 Like

Just signed up as well. I have 2 AC units and it would be great if I could change the temp in the app for the house and it would set both thermostats!

Hi community,
I just made a post to recruit beta testers for Wyze thermostat. If you have already filled an Airtable before, you don’t need to do it again, we have you on the list! If you have not filled the table and are interested in participation, please let us know by submitting the survey. We need around 100 testers and will start the test in one week.

2 Likes

I’ve been patiently hoping you would get the smart thermostat control released! I have been torn as I did put an ESP32 based Arduino controlled retrofit for my standard home thermostat. It can handle heat and cool modes concurrently, and has a 1”x4” touch OLED. I have finished a couple case designs, and am refining a couple more.
The code allows the setting, tracking, and recording of relative ambient temp to separate hi/low setpoints or both heat range and chilling range. The touchscreen permits touch control of these from the wall, or the HomeAssistant app allows remote manual control or tuning.

How is the pricing for your WyzeTherm?

As a malfunction of the thermostat can even cause an electrical fire, I’d like to use a UL vetted device as my primary controller, then deploy additional satellite controllers which can be the selected ambient temperature which is used to maintain the desired temp.

1 Like

Can you tell me if the test thermostat need to be returned upon completion of the Beta test?

Completed survey

We hope you can keep it, but it the hardware failed during the test, we need to call it back to investigate reasons.

1 Like