Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

I could real upgrade our home with Wyze Light Switch for more than turning on lights.

Just a thought:
our three bedroom, 1970’s home has:

• 65 light sockets with a wide range of wattage, shapes and fixture styles - beyond just A19s styled.
  • 23 electrical sockets
  • 16 light switches without neutral wiring.
  • 12 doors (2 externals and 10 interior)
  • One doorbell
  • No thermostats

I’m looking at Wyze’s road map with “market potential eyes” that may help lower cost, because of volume purchasing and scratching my head. Other homes must have different very different ratio to product upgrades opportunity than ours.

For safety reasons if all the exterior and/or interior lights would turn-on it might scary away potential bad people from the area. Blasting 3,000+ lumen 36 watt lamps suddenly with the many Wyze devices triggering it “ON” would be awesome!

Thank you for always providing great products at amazing prices with superior customer interactions!

Most smart switches require a neutral that I have found, I think there are some that don’t but I know most of them do.

1 Like

The ones that don’t are 4 times the price

Thanks!
I purchased two sets of three-way Lutron Wifi wall light switches that do not require neutral wirings for $49 a set. But there is an inconsistent times delay using IFTTT. Also, having another third-party go-between application increases the complexity and reduce reliability.

I know Wyze eco-system would be faster to respond and less complicated all the way around.

I believe the Lutron Caseta line does not require the neutral wire. However they are technically dimmers so there is always electrical flow, even if the light appears off.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to check if there is always voltage on the circuit using a dimmer, I know that was the case years ago, but with CFL’s ballast and LED’s drivers, lighting control manufactures had to address the issue of overheating those components and causing the parts to fail.

If I were considering an addition to the Wyze product lineup, a smart WiFi 3-way, wall mounted light switches would appear to make a great deal of s¢ense to me from a manufacturer’s as well as consumer demand point of view.

One home has many opportunities for upgrading light switches and a 3-way light switch can operate like a single pole switch. With some training and practice, changing light switches can be simple and affordable to add a level of safety when paired to other suite of Wyze products.

Just imaging using a light switch as a panic switch to sound an outdoor siren, trigger the Wyze smart plug, turn off the reciprocating solar water heater pump, pool sweeper, attic fan, motorized window coverings, wall outlets, and a variety of phantom loads on an automate system, isolated from third-party apps like IFTTT.

1 Like

Still haven’t figured out IFTTT. The app sits on my iPhone doing nothing. What I wanted to try with it requires another App (life360) with constant location instead of using the location services built into my device. Not really willing to pay an annual fee so some third-party can track my location all the time.

I am using the Life360 app integrated into both WYZE and SmartThings for various applications and I am able to use the free version to do it.

A lot of great ideas. Another handy use for a 2-way or 3-way switch would be in a difficult to reach location (tall shelf in the way, etc). If this was already on the list - I missed it! I also like the suggestions to make all switches interchangeably 2-way or 3-way. Desirable features: dimmable, motion activation, scheduling, and return to previous setting after power failure.

3 Likes

My experience with IFTTT over a long time period has been the response delay has become very inconsistent. It was sexy, fun and cool in the beginning, but now its has become a high maintenance relationship.

Having other layer(s), third-party servers apps, to debug and deal with, will hopefully be unneeded soon as the Wyze app continues to increase in functionality and flexibility. Coupled with the already quick response rate, which has been almost instant or just a 1 or 2 seconds delay until I get a notice on my Apple Watch or something has triggered, has really simplified my experience with Wyze devices.

For me, Wyze has been a very wise and low maintenance path to have taken. As I get older, I have found simple is the best!

4 Likes

I agree. The fewer hoops and layers to hop through, the more efficient the system is. This is one of the reasons that I would like to get into a single “smart” eco-system without spending thousands of dollars.

1 Like

Please add me to the list for beta test for this product

You will not be added to the beta candidate list as a result of your post here. You will need to fill out the hardware beta request form here:

There is a pretty long list of applicants already, but always good to get in the queue.

1 Like

Sorry, i didn’t request to be a beta tester.

Derrick

@masterep, My reply above was not to you. If you look at my post (on the forum site) you will see the reply-to indicator at the top right of my post.

The reason you got the email notification is that you had previously replied on this thread and therefore you are set to “Watching” for this topic. If you want to change that, click “Watching” at the bottom of the thread and change it to Tracking, Normal or Muted.

5 Likes

I agree that an in wall smart switch by Wyze would be nice, but for those of us who are renters something similar the Switchmate solution that snaps over the switch may be even better. Just putting it out there for consideration, Because I love the function of my Switchmates but hate the support and the need for more apps to automate things.

Forgive me if somebody else has already mentioned this (I don’t feel like scrolling through 77 comments right now), but I, too, would love to see a smart switch. But a very specific type.

As best as I can tell, there is only one smart switch that works with LED bulbs that DOESN’T require a neutral wire. That is the Lutron Caseta. If I understand it correctly, the reason they pull off the no-neutral thing is because all of the heavy lifting (processing, dimming, etc.) is done at the hub, not the switch.

Lutron’s implementation is all well and good, it works great. I have 6 of them in my home (built in 1927, no neutrals in the switch boxes, like most homes until the 1980’s or so, I believe). But they have, in my opinion, a fatal flaw. They don’t offer any sort of toggle switch. All of their switches are completely smooth, which looks great, but is a complete pain in the ass when you’re trying to turn the light on in the dark. Or anytime, really. You have to physically look at the switch to figure out what you’re doing, or blindly swat at it until something happens.

I’m moving next year to a home that was built in 1980. I already own it, but currently have tenants, so I have no idea if I have neutral wires in the switch boxes or not. I haven’t counted them, but I likely have roughly 50 switches (it’s a big house). I’m all-in on the smart home thing, so I’ll do what I have to. But personally, I think smart bulbs are, ironically, dumb (& that’s a ranting tangent we should all be glad I’m keeping to myself!)

So how about it? Does the wisdom of my logic carry any water? Would not a smart toggle switch with hub open the doors to a great swath of humanity? Create boundless revenue? I’m hoping so.

2 Likes

Forum Hint: No need to read through 77 posts. Click the magnifying glass and check the box “Search this topic”. Enter “neutral”, you will find that posts 23, 25, 31, 64 and 65 mention the neutral wire.

8 Likes

I need need need smart switches. I’m going to have to pull all my Wyze bulbs because I have kids and three flips of a switch drops all settings from the bulbs. This makes the bulbs unable to be controlled and—odd side effect—my phone will reconnect to the bulb WiFi making me wonder why my “internet wasn’t working” (just figured this out yesterday).

Even if they were changed to 8 or 10 flips vs 3 it would make a huge difference. Why it’s a complete wipe at 3 is beyond me.

2 Likes

Same problem here. What I did.

You can delete those temporary WiFi bulb connections and the phone should stop misbehaving and reconnecting. I did and it helped mine. This may be the same case you are running into. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes