Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

But the point I was trying to make is they are making deals with home builders. And that’s wyze should be. Making solid installable hardware that’s not just suitable for an apartment building…

Of course it probably be easier for a company that makes hardware light switches, and then makes them smart. But to work with wyze’s ecosystem would be best.

I’m sure their product isn’t that great but wyze could do better.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

Right or wrong my interpretation has been that newer tech companies are not in anything for the long haul, Wyze included. That’s part of the reason I went with relatively expensive Leviton smart switches. The company is as entrenched as can be in the traditional home wiring market. (My other reasons were the design and UL rating.)

2 Likes

It should also be noted that Wyze is a Consumer driven company. Not saying that they couldn’t setup a program to educate and sell to Contractors, just that this does not seem to be a direction that the company is going.

Also, with the chip shortage, making enough plugs/switches/etc to be able to actually sell in that kind of bulk is quite unlikely.

1 Like

The company to see regarding this is latch.com, they are becoming the market leader in residential access, and connectivity. 1 in every 10 buildings built in the US last year had their products in it. Could see them moving into the receptacle business pretty easily and just dominating the market there.

I can totally agree with you @Aaron.minguez latch and other companies like them are really dominating the building market with residential access. And these companies market to architects and design engineers.

I work in the construction design industry and can say a lot of the smart home companies are looked down on if they are marketed directly to the consumer. No architect wants ring or wyze if they are able to install Latch or 2N.

But to your point about outlets, I don’t see to many companies trying to compete with Legrand and Leviton.

2 Likes

Leviton and Legrande definitely have a moat, but TP link and Wemo were able to snatch up a decent chunk of market share relatively easy.

If Latch decides to make a move there I could see them taking a large share because of their expertise in wireless networking. Their receptacles would likely tie in to their building networks more seamlessly for a better end user experience, than a third party could offer.

Which is what I think we’re all hoping for with Wyze. Things like having hallway lights turn on when the wyze lock is activated, or having lights turn on when cameras detect motion outside of schedule. I’m hopeful Wyze can pull it off at the consumer level, I think Latch will be the mover at the builder level.

1 Like

Does “Latch” work off grid? Because Wyze mostly does not.

That’s a fair point. Latch could make that move easily, just not sure if they are going that route. I have a meeting with one of their sales reps next week I’ll try and get the inside scoop haha.

I definitely see Wyze getting there on the consumer level but also keeping their walled garden higher (for now).

1 Like

Kind of. They will still function without internet connectivity (ie the door will open) but not all of the features will be there.

1 Like

I’d be interested in what they have to say. If I had any pull at Wyze I would be knocking down the door over there to get a meeting. I doubt Wyze is capable of that kind of volume yet, but really no one is doing what Wyze is in the smart device market at their price point. A Latch acquisition of a company like Wyze would be pretty interesting to say the least.

I made that same point a few weeks back about marketing to home builders. I worked for a home builder in the early aughts and we led our small market in wiring homes for internet throughout. When I attended trade shows I noticed some tech presence, but not as much as there should have been.

If wyze did try to step into that market, they probably would have to up the price point just a bit to add some durability to the products.

2 Likes

I don’t know that would be necessary. Maybe if the target was commercial contractors. But for residential contractors, the end user is the same as if you and I bought it. I don’t know that you or I are any more likely to forgive durability issues as a new homeowner… Every product that goes in a new construction or remodel home can be purchased at Lowe’s or Home Depot… and usually are.

1 Like

Have there been reports of durability issues?

A lot of their stuff is still pretty early in their lifecycle, but I’ve purchased probably 40+ devices from them across their different product lines, for my office, home, and family and I have yet to have an issue with any of their products.

There are tons of posts about switches and dimmers…, just wondering if anyone has said anything about making both dimmers, one for the bulbs and another for ceiling fan motors. Also, make them in the rocker and toggle, with or without night lights…

garage door openers also so I can get rid of the other brand that I have…

2 Likes

What is the chance that WYXE will come out with light switches single and or 3 way?
PLEASE SEARCH #wishlist and #roadmap and read the How to Use the Wishlist BEFORE POSTING. If your submission is approved, don’t forget to VOTE for it.

2 Likes

One thing that frustrates us is that our young children don’t have phones but sometimes want to turn on their lights of change the colors. Often this means them having to get to our phones or climb up the the existing switch, turn it off then back on the make the lights come on.

A great solution would be a basic switch or even a wheel switch. Battery powered with wireless connection to specified wyze bulbs to be controlled. Then they could be placed anywhere at any height. They would even remove the annoying task of rerouting a switch when you want it in a different wall or whatever. You could just use a wyze Bulb with a wireless controller. As long as the real power switch is always on you’re good to go.

1 Like

Would like to see a smart switch to replace existing home wall switches, both single pole/single throw and 3-way. Should be no more difficult than the hardware in your smart plug.
Also, smart relays (in small mountable box) that could be wired to any number of devices in the home. These devices are used in all energy management systems. If the box were designed with a box connector on it, the device could be mounted on the side of the electrical panel box in the home and make/break circuits right at the source, right after the circuit breakers. Again, no more complex than your smart plugs.

1 Like

It seems to me that this product would be a natural and potentially huge market for the DYI guys like me that own older houses. Just tried to install a few Smart Switches just to find out that the house is not “Neutral” wired. Had to return all the switches purchased as they were unuseable. Could be simple to add a rechargeable “dime” type battery that maintains the WiFi up when the light is off and recharging while the light is on (power going through).

2 Likes

Exactly! Plus I think integration would be simple since they already have the ability to sync items through they home base or whatever the pack on the back of the camera is called for the door and window sensors and all that. I feel like all the pieces are there to make it a great product that could remove the frustration of rewiring completely.

2 Likes