Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

Not true anymore, except for the “good ones” like the Levitons I get because they are UL listed. Plenty of decent kit like “Meross” is around the $20 mark.

Another vote for a smart light switch. Since this thread is over 12 months old, has anyone from Wyze commented about whether or not Wyze is at least considering a smart switch? Even an OEM agreement version that works with Wyze app and IFTTT would be enough for me to “switch” my switches to Wyze.

4 Likes

I have some of these. I was also using a product called a Hook Smart Hub which was a RF transmitter that could be programmed with the codes for other devices such as those Etekcity outlets. Hook has unfortunately gone out of business and they no longer support that device. Broadlink makes something similar. I haven’t tried the Broadlink one but it was recommended as a replacemtnt to the Hook Smart Hub.

If Wyze makes a smart switch, I think this would be a good design:

I think instead of making a smart switch to place along side your old switch and having to buy a light switch cover to prevent family from flipping the power off to the old switch, I think the Wyze Switch should have the cover for the old switch built into it.

For instance, on the underside of the Wyze Switch, there should be an indentation that fits a light switch toggle in its upright (ON) position. That way it stays on and family can’t change it to off. It should basically be able to “lock onto” the old switch plate securely.

1 Like

Sorry but that makes no sense. The existing switch has to be replaced, period.

I don’t follow either. Where does the “smart” part of the switch come into play. Are you talking about something like this… Lutron Z3-1BRL-WH-L0-2 Aurora Smart Bulb Dimmer. That setup requires a smart bulb to pair with and is battery power. I’d rather install a new switch that is direct powered and controls any type of light.

1 Like

Okay, here’s what I meant:

First, it seems like when Wyze releases products, they don’t really release stuff that requires any sort of electrical work because it seems they want their products to be easy to use by everyone. I think that’s probably one reason they made the new Outdoor camera battery dependent because they probably figured the average user isn’t going to fill comfortable running wire and drilling holes in attics and stuff like that. So I figured if Wyze makes a smart light switch, it’s probably going to be one like Hue or Sengled that pairs with a hub or something so you can turn on and off your bulbs.

For instance, my house was built in the 1960s or something and doesn’t have a neutral wire to even connect a smart switch, so I have Hue, Sengled, Lifx, and Wiz lights throughout the house. That means I have to have light switch covers on the wall switches so power is constantly going to them. Meanwhile, in the living room, I also have a Hue Dimmer switch to turn lights on and off.

So what I meant was, instead of having my Hue switch taped right next to my power wall switch with a switch guard on it so no one turns it off, what if Wyze’s smart switch was similar, BUT is the switch and cover guard in one. That way you could place the Wyze switch over your wall switch to cover it up so no one turns off the electricity to it…hope that makes sense. Otherwise, maybe I’m not as smart as I thought I was.

I can also draw up a diagram, if it helps.

1 Like

2 Likes

That’s… not as crazy an idea as I first thought.

I still hate it though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would buy one of these + Wyze bulbs for every room and switch in my house if they released this.

Got ya, that is what I thought you were getting at. That is precisely what the Lutron Z3-1BRL-WH-L0-2 Aurora Smart Bulb Dimmer is. It locks the switch to on (I know how annoying it can be to have the switch to a smart bulb turned off all the time) and also provides an interface to control the bulb. It is basically an extension of the smart bulb or rather a physical control for the smart bulb. I think the point for many IoT aficionados is to have an actual smart switch without having to fully rely on smart bulbs. I have garage lights I’m not going to replace with smart bulbs but would love to control them…also all my recessed lights, chandeliers, etc that aren’t a good setup to smart bulbs. I just bought Kasa dimmer switches so my outdoor lights can be controlled, without having to install smart bulbs a outdoors. I have a flood light I want a smart switch on. It would miss the mark for me. But understand the concept now.

So I have an issue with leaving lights on in my home when I leave for work. So I have an idea, how about WiFi controlled light switches for homes? With dimmers. Set up or use the hub like the Waze outdoor cam and allow us to install these for switches throughout the house, it could use the decora look and possibly have a touch dimmer on it. Just a thought, it would be nice for fixtures that use different size bulbs or other switch controlled items like fans and what not.

Moderator Note: This is a merged #wishlist submission. Remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button.

I have recently been looking for this! If you are able, my ideal design would be to make a kinetic switch (which uses the kinetic energy to power the signal); alternatively a battery (2032 or so sized). The switch would have a rocker switch that returns to center. Pressing the top would send a 1/on signal and the bottom, 0/off. Then rules takeover, if on, then talk to the smart bulb/plug/etc.

For mounting on the wall… If the kinetic switch can be 2x3 in., it can replace the existing switch utilizing the existing gang box and faceplate. If it is battery-powered (this being flatter), the wyze face plate could have a keyhole mount on the back which requires no holes in the room just two screws and sits on the surface of the wall.

Now smart bulbs can be placed anywhere in the house and can still be used with a physical switch and also automation. With a wireless option, it would allow mounting ANYWHERE in the house/office/garage wherever there is a bridge nearby. For me this is a must. I have no desire to run wire to half the places I need them. Thanks!

It feels like this thread has been hijacked for all sorts of physical switch devices/switch covers. I’m sure I speak for 99% of the requests on this thread for a smart switch: How about just a typical smart switch or dimmer, just like all other competitive smart switches out there (Wemo, TP-Link, Feit, Lutron, GE, Leviton, etc) at a reasonable cost?

9 Likes

Yes! This is the reason I got onto this forum, to see if this is in the plans. I want to outfit my whole house with these (at least most of it). The bulbs are cool, but are not super useful for what I need in my house.

4 Likes

What he said. I would go buy a competitors switch but prefer to stay in the same app, therefore I am holding out for Wyze to get it done.

1 Like

Subject line says it all. A lot of us are using TP-Link switches, which work great, but have poor IFTTT integration (can’t use as triggers). I have a ton of Wyze sensors, a scale, and cams. Would love to switch to cost-effective Wyze switches with full IFTTT, thanks!

2 Likes

Someone may have posted this already, but here are some features I think would make this product great for most people while also setting it apart from the competition and integrating well into the Wyze ecosystem (and sell more Wyze bulbs and plugs!):

1. Typical smart switch connected via Wifi to control the light circuit – need this basic functionality since this is a typical use case for people – would require a neutral wire as usual smart switches do to remain powered

2. Smart device only mode with no neutral required – keeps the circuit closed (i.e. “on”) but just sends a trigger via Wifi – this would be great for people who have upgraded all the lights and plugs on the circuit to smart devices (i.e. Wyze Bulbs and Plugs) because the switch would not kill power to the circuit so bulbs can still be controlled via voice/app. A major side benefit is you won’t need a neutral wire which a lot of older homes still don’t have as long as you upgrade the bulbs and plugs on the circuit. This may just be a software feature since internally the physical switch just remains “on”. [EDIT: nevermind, I think you would have to bake this into the hardware since it needs to know if nothing is plugged into the neutral, just close the circuit to power on instead]

3. In both modes the switch should be able to send an “off” signal to all smart bulbs and plugs in a group so I can turn off all the smart lights in a room with a single switch – e.g. a table lamp, ceiling lights, etc. Since it will be a Wifi switch (assuming that since the Wyze ecosystem is Wifi) – this is probably just a software feature integrated into the app.

Please Please Please!!! Not sure about others but I would say priority
single pole → 3 way → dimmer → what else?

Being able to control other light switch with ifttt is great, but the delay is horrible, basically making some application not usable. It’ll be amazing to use wyze sensor to control switches without hopping to the internet.s

1 Like

thanks but not quite what I meant. I should have been more clear. I am asking about a wall switch that turns on and off upon Wyze command and therefore controls the lights (e.g. ceiling lights) that are wired to that switch. The switch would also need to be manually controlled as well.