Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

I have Wyze lightblubs, and plug switches, but I have rooms that have fluorescent lights or ceiling vents that I want to be able to control. These are things that the Wyze products don’t support yet. The switch doesn’t need to be dimmable just, wireless and smart home connective. Like the lights in the kitchen would be great to have turn on using a Wyze motion sensor. It’s so nice to have lights that are only on when the room is occupied.

That’s a really cool idea!!

That is basically what I am doing as well with a contact sensor. But if the bulb state has been changed by voice command, it is weird to have to move the switch twice to get what you want. And so it works properly you have to sort of delay between the two actions.

There is clear need and Wyze basically has almost everything that is needed to accomplish it, minus a aesthetic wall plate packaging, software, and appropriate function for the application. Perhaps a capacitive touch interface would be the most ideal. I know of some existing very low power silicon that can do this (basically the same as in fitbit).

I have been told in this forum that this is a “controller” and not a switch. Fine. A properly designed bulb controller should be able to:

• toggle on/off state of a bulb or bulb group with a single touch (including through IFTTT).
  • Depending upon the current state of the bulb, long press will either brighten or dim the bulbs.
    Every release will reverse direction of dim/brighten action. This is probably a tough one especially for IFTTT because feedback timing is involved, but it could be a huge value add proposition to buy more Wyze bulbs.
  • make it simple to force a non-smart switch to remain on to smart bulbs by making package that simply covers over a switch (both panel switch style, and traditional switch style, and maybe a style that can go anywhere).

Notice that this controller could be used to control any bulb or even other actual smart power switches, basically anything that can be turned on and off.

I agree, a smart light switch for bulbs and fluorescent lights that are standard and not a Wyze bulb would be a great addition to the Wyze line of products.

1 Like

I would love to see a toggle light switch. There are many rocker switches to choose from but not many toggles. I would replace just about all of my light switches in my house.

1 Like

I have Hue lights with several Hue Smart Dimmer Switches. I recently bought a 4 pack of Wyze bulbs to try them out and was very happy with them. However my house cannot be outfitted with them because of the lack of a switch option. Using your voice or an app just doesn’t replace a lifetime habit of flipping a switch when you walk in the room. If you could make functionally the same product as the hue switch but work with the wyze ecosystem I’d be making the switch as I have wyze cams and love them and would like to go full wyze in my entire house. I just can’t bring the family on board without a wall switch option.

3 Likes

Yup. The usefulness of smart bulbs is limited by needing to use an app to turn them on and off. Getting kids, visitors, and family members on board with not turning the lights on and off the normal way isn’t easy or practical most of the time.

Something that just replaces your normal switch, and doesn’t get reset every time your mother in law flips the hall light off, is just way way way more useful.

3 Likes

Absolutely! Not offering a product to solve this problem is the sole reason I just can’t get on board with purchasing more light bulbs, even though I think they’re an excellent product at a reasonable price.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly!

@samuel.r.kantor @cpit28 I’m not finding the same issues as you guys. I have 17 light bulbs and they’re all a part of our lives with ease. The primary reason I started buying bulbs was because kids were terrible at turning off lights. This fixes that. I can also have them turn on and off at times so I don’t forget to flip the switch for the porch light.
Wyze has a solution for all of these “problems” in the form of sensors. I use their contact sensors to turn on/off bulbs when certain doors open/close. I have motion sensors in kids rooms to do the same with bulbs. I also use their app and ifttt to trigger some lights at sunset.
Occasionally we’d turn off a switch which would disconnect the bulb. So, I found a light switch cover on Thingiverse and printer some. Now we don’t accidentally flip the switch.
Many of theses issues require out of the box thinking. The main reason I want a smart switch are for systems like my kitchen that have 6 bulbs on one switch. That’d be a lot of smart bulbs and isn’t cost effective.

1 Like

This is why I only use smart bulbs in lamps. I do have 4 color changing bulbs in my daughters room over head Lights, but for those I took the switch out, put the two black wires together then put the switch back as a dummy switch. She uses echo to turn them on and off. We use timers and scenes to control our lamps.

They sell inexpensive and quick to install “switch guards” so that you don’t have to remove the electrical switches and cover plates in your home just to keep someone from flipping a switch. Search “switch guard” on amazon.

I prefer these ones…

1 Like

Yeah. I’m not a fan of those. All of my switches are decora and I prefer the clean look. Plus, I can actually add a smart switch later, only hook up the neutral, ground and line in. Then using Alexa or Smartthings control the lights I want to with it. For example I can turn all of her smart plugs and bulbs on and off using the switch.

The need is for a in-wall Wyze switch that can be part of the Wyze ecosystem. This way one can control non-plug or non-blub compatible fixtures, such as bathroom fans, built-in fluorescent lights, with door open/close sensors and motion sensors.

I have these setup in several rooms in the house were I could use Wyze plugs and blubs, but this is not possible everywhere without in-wall wifi switch. Having a manual operation is a plus but I personally would be happy with a blank plate.

4 Likes

I was able to purchase some Kasa TP-Link single pole switches for $10 and they’re a great addition. I also got a 3-way pair for my stair tread LED lighting which is switched at both bottom and top of stairway. I then placed a Wyze sensor at both the bottom and top of the stairs and now during dark hours Alexa turns-on the stair lights when someone starts either upstairs or downstairs. Works good when one of the little ones is up in the night. While these single/dual pole wifi switches work good, would rather have all Wyze throughout.

1 Like

+1 vote for a smart switch
I personally would like to see a WIFI toggle /w slide dimmer to the side. If the dimmer adds any significant cost, even a toggle WiFi switch is sufficient. The goal for Wyze should be to beat US-providers on price, since I know that Wyze must already meet UL standards (which the China-made do not). I’m very glad Wyze is rapidly expanding the offerings and what I find important is to address all of my smart home products thru one (or minimum) apps. If the products support Siri, Alexa, Google, that’s fine but the single app is most important to me.

A smart switch is in the roadmap?https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030/

CONTROL YOUR LIGHTS FROM ANYWHERE

The Wemo Light Switch allows you to control your home lighting from the wall, your phone or by using your voice. This smart light switch connects to your existing home WiFi network to provide wireless control of your lights – with no subscription or hub required. From porch lights to ceiling fans to recessed lighting, Wemo Light Switch can control nearly anything that a traditional light switch can. Whether you’re unwinding on the couch, working at a coffee shop, or vacationing in the Caribbean, you’ll be able to remotely control your home lighting from anywhere.

I’m glad to see it’s in the roadmap, but the price that’s listed isn’t as competitive as others:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-kasa-wi-fi-smart-light-switch-white/5687933.p?skuId=5687933&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRnwQF7guuCdiIvZz67noPZrMuaZlDUuLcH7L2Gh-eFGl_s7cYsXwQ4aAsaUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

No I don’t see Wyze Switch on the roadmap yet. But I wish it was…

1 Like

The $50 price point is awfully high. In January I bought a 2-pack of Feit WiFi dimmer switches from Costco for $30, which is $15/ea. I think people are OK with buying two right now. I have shared here before that I did not understand why Wyze was spending any time on a product that is already in the marketplace from several vendors.

Wyze sells dimmer WiFi bulbs, why sell a product that means people don’t need Wyze bulbs? I feel Wyze should be working on a full color bulb and introduce it at the $10 price point to compete with the other manufacturers at that price point.

There is much more flexibility for the consumer with full-color WiFi bulbs. I have about 16 in my house and am very happy with them. Some of them replaced Wyze bulbs that I moved to other fixtures.