Wyze Sprinkler Controller - Smart weather-based watering with 8 control zones

Thanks for the suggestion Kmetz11!

I never thought of that since each maintenance company I’ve had out always uses the controller.

Good to know.

Depending on your location and property, certain sensors may be mandated by ordinance. Not sure how much of Wyze’s target market that encompasses.

Hello @UserCustomerGwen and @mike.s , I am interested in testing this product. I also entered my information in the alpha testing site.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello! We aren’t looking for more testers right now but appreciate your interest! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No worries - good luck with the tests, always an exciting & fun phase!!

Inside (basement)

Thank you for your response @UserCustomerGwen, in the even that an opening become available, please let me know. WyzeOn!

@UserCustomerGwen

Looking at the pictures of the beta units that are out on the web, it looks like it is powered by an external wall wart power supply. That supply is almost certainly isolated from ground which should fix the ground fault trips I’m having with my current controller which is not. Excellent. That means I can re-install the ground fault interrupter plug that was there before and be code compliant.

However, a GFI plug will often times trip due to nearby electrical storms and the like. That’s just the nature of the beast and nothing to do with what’s plugged in.

Does the new Wyze controller have a (replaceable? rechargeable?) battery back up and if so will the software app tell me if the mains power is out on the unit? If not, that’s a great feature to have. Many times the GFI has tripped on my non-smart controllers and I won’t notice it (because nothing else is on that plug) and the thing will try to run on the back up battery for days or weeks and until it’s completely flat. Half the time it will happen sometime during the winter and I won’t find it till spring. It would be nice to get a notice that mains power is out on the Wyze controller so I can re-set my GFI.

1 Like

So I’m wondering how this controller is going to handle when it rains? Is it doing it through the app, or will there be a rain gauge? Since what I found on the FCC website the unit looks pretty basic, since most controllers now do things in the app. Is this getting it’s own app, or is it working within the current wyze app?

1 Like

All you need is the ability to take data from some sort of IOT rain gauge/weather station, of which there are a plethora out there.

Or, Wyze could come out with their own Wyze Weather Station and use that as an input into the logic controlling the sprinklers.

1 Like

Would be way simpler & cheaper if you could just use local weather date. I’m sure it’s not quite as precise, but my guess is it wins hands-down on the cost-benefit analysis.

1 Like

I’m going to disagree. In my locale during the summer I can have weeks where the local airport records an inch or two of rain and I get nothing. And vice versa. If you’re trying to deliver X inches of water to your lawn per week, you really need to know how much it rained at your house, not how much it rained 20 miles away at the airport.

1 Like

I am late to the game, but I would really see what Wyze could come up with. I already have a controller with one zone, however, living in the desert we have three different water “seasons”. Depending on the time of year we can only water one, three or six days a week. Filled out and submitted just in case there’s still room for testers :slight_smile:

*A wyze sprinkler controller, especially one that can tap into local weather info to determine amount of watering needed.

2 Likes

It looks like this is about to be announced… https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/categories/360004538771-Wyze-Sprinkler

2 Likes

I hope you are right. I really want one for my back yard.

It sure does! Many support articles have already been created. Also, a few of them mention a new service called “Sprinkler Plus”. I can’t wait for the launch :smiley:

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen

When will Wyze make a formal announcement on this? Soon? Very interested in pricing and when you might be shipping.

They litterally just did! Say hello to Wyze Sprinkler Controller - 11/17/20

4 Likes

Excellent!